Top 10 Things Pool Players Do Wrong … and How to Fix Them

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, here's one to add to your list for guys only - trying to break so hard trying to impress someone/anyone with the power/noise of their break, that they lose complete control of the cue ball, mis-hit or miscue, or send the cue ball completely off the table. How many times have we all seen this?
Good one. Guys do like to sometimes “impress the ladies” or win “testosterone-fueled pissing contests” with the break.

The worse thing about this is the break is more about technique and timing ... not muscle.

Regards,
Dave

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
I just posted a new video on YouTube:

NV J.13 - Top 10 Things Pool Players Do Wrong … and How to Fix Them

Check it out. I identify and offer advice for how to correct the following top 10 things many pool players do wrong:
1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
4.) Poor Alignment and Aim
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke
10.) Head and Body Motion

I look forward to your feedback, comments, and questions.

Enjoy,
Dave

I just watched this last night. Ever since I learned how to view youtube on my TV I have been addicted.

Thanks for your informative and helpful postings Dr. Dave

Kevin

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
#14 - Always thinking the jump shot will solve the problem.
Actually, for a good jumper, the jump shot can solve a lot of problems. However, I agree with you that this is probably a bad way to think.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

Check it out. I identify and offer advice for how to correct the following top 10 things many pool players do wrong:
1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave

I just watched this last night. Ever since I learned how to view youtube on my TV I have been addicted.

Thanks for your informative and helpful postings Dr. Dave

Kevin
I also like watching YouTube on my big-screen TV, especially in the winter when I like to watch pool matches while exercising on my spin bike.

I hoped you liked the video,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave
This video is getting viewed on YouTube at a rate more than twice that of any other video I have ever posted. I was a little surprised by this, and I'm curious what you guys think I should take from this.

Is it just the "Top 10" part of the title that grabs people's attention?

Should I focus more on basic skills and fundamentals in future videos?

Or do people still want coverage of advanced topics like kicking/banking systems, aiming with sidespin, advanced CB control and position play, how to execute advanced shots like jumps, masse, and power breaks, etc.? These are the sorts of things I have mostly focused on over the years.

I look forward to seeing what you guys think.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm expecting "university level" material.
... like the recent:

NV J.11 - 25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

I thought this video would get many more views than it did, compared to other recent videos I've done. These shots are cool, challenging, and fun to learn ... and Samm Diep (also on this video) is a lot cuter than me.

Why aren't people watching this video so much? Is "25" too big of a number, and maybe "10" is better? Do people not care about advanced shots that might be too difficult for them to even try? Did the "BU Exam III" part of the title scare people off?

Thanks,
Dave

JC

Coos Cues
I agree with every item on the list except for #3

Some very straight shooting players don't drag their chin on the cue. Your knee bending stance will take a huge toll over the course of a long session. If you can't bend at the waist all the way you're better off to have your head a little high than to tax your leg muscles by crouching because you will get tired and inconsistent sooner than later.

JC

Last edited:

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This video is getting viewed on YouTube at a rate more than twice that of any other video I have ever posted. I was a little surprised by this, and I'm curious what you guys think I should take from this.
...snip snip snip...

Yes, I think the less erudite title has a lot to do with the extra clicks.

Great video btw, keep em coming.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
... like the recent:

I thought this video would get many more views than it did, compared to other recent videos I've done. These shots are cool, challenging, and fun to learn ... and Samm Diep (also on this video) is a lot cuter than me.

Why aren't people watching this video so much? Is "25" too big of a number, and maybe "10" is better? Do people not care about advanced shots that might be too difficult for them to even try? Did the "BU Exam III" part of the title scare people off?

Thanks,
Dave

"25 Game-Winning Pool Shots demonstrated by Samm Diep"

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave

I like how you broke up something broad like "mechanics" into things we can point to when showing new players how to start learning to play on the right path.

I did not see the video yet, when you say "sidespin" do you mean accidental sidespin or just using it too often?

Well since it's only top 10 I can't say you missed a few but we can add on right?

Supplementary list of things pool players do wrong :grin:

11) smoke breaks after every match
12) lying about skill level
13) saying "I have not played much lately"
14) dressing like you are about to go wrestle with pigs at your farm at tournaments
15) shaking hands like your have no bones in your hand and you are made of glass

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I agree with every item on the list except for #3

Some very straight shooting players don't drag their chin on the cue. Your knee bending stance will take a huge toll over the course of a long session. If you can't bend at the waist all the way you're better off to have your head a little high than to tax your leg muscles by crouching because you will get tired and inconsistent sooner than later.

JC
Good point. Not everybody can or wants to get this low. However, there are benefits to doing so, per the info here:

low stance benefits

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
... like the recent:

"25 Game-Winning Pool Shots demonstrated by Samm Diep"
That's not totally true (since I demo'd half the shots), but your point is well taken.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave

I like how you broke up something broad like "mechanics" into things we can point to when showing new players how to start learning to play on the right path.

I did not see the video yet, when you say "sidespin" do you mean accidental sidespin or just using it too often?
I get the impression many people in this thread have not watched the video yet. What are you guys waiting for? It's only 10 minutes long (I know ... that's an eternity for the "younger generation," and its long enough to make the "older generation" fall asleep). :grin-square:

The video covers both unintentional sidespin and wrongly thinking you should use sidespin when you shouldn't.

Well since it's only top 10 I can't say you missed a few but we can add on right?

Supplementary list of things pool players do wrong :grin:

11) smoke breaks after every match
12) lying about skill level
13) saying "I have not played much lately"
14) dressing like you are about to go wrestle with pigs at your farm at tournaments
15) shaking hands like your have no bones in your hand and you are made of glass
Those are cute.

More seriously, I actually have a list of about 50 things to check in the document mentioned at the end of the video. Here it is:

fundamentals "best practices" check-sheet

I hope you and others enjoy the video after you actually watch it,
Dave ;)

JC

Coos Cues
I am starting to learn with recent videos that the title is more important than I thought previously.

Thanks!

Catch you later,
Dave

And the thumbnail for the video needs to have a large breasted scantily clad woman too. Even if there is no woman of any shape or size in the actual vid.

This seems to work, at least for getting me to click on it :grin:

JC

Imotv8u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can’t argue with this list. I think you are spot on! All 10 of these I need to work on no doubt.