Beware of this buyer

JC

Coos Cues
a few guys including myself have requested more info about your deal so informed opinions can be formed.

Would you mind filling in some of those important blanks?

Calling a guy out as a scammer publicly and posting all of his personal info is a pretty big deal and should be accompanied by a compelling set of facts explaining how he scammed.

best,
brian kc

yes payment was made with paypal, it was for $600 for a Justis 2 toned with snake skin on the pockets, first thing he offered $400 i said your not even close and then he came back with $500 saying he was a serious buyer, i turned him down again he comes back with $550 and i said i would have to think about it, so finally he says ok i agree to your $600 and wanted it shipped immediately, i told him the soonest it could be shipped was the next morning and made a label that night, knowing that he wanted to get the item as soon as possible i made a special trip to the closest UPS store which is like 35 miles away, i figured he wouldn't want it taken to a drop because it would not be picked up until the end of the day(the only UPS drop in my town), so i get back home and check my e-mail around noon and he left a message saying he changed his mind because he found a cheaper case and said he canceled the shipment because i had given him tracking info the night before, so then he wanted me to go pick up the item and refund his money, as he has rubbed in my nose from the beginning Paypal will always refund money for whatever reason even if buyers remorse or whatever in this case, so at this point i hope i just get my case back without being tampered with since what he is saying now he will refuse the item and file a claim with Paypal but in 20 years of selling stuff i have never dealt with this type of character before, WOW a dentist really?

Sounds like a pretty fair description of what likely went down. Compelling enough for the OP in my opinion. The buyer sounds more like a penny naggling flake than a scammer but who needs any of it in their lives?

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes payment was made with paypal, it was for $600 for a Justis 2 toned with snake skin on the pockets, first thing he offered $400 i said your not even close and then he came back with $500 saying he was a serious buyer, i turned him down again he comes back with $550 and i said i would have to think about it, so finally he says ok i agree to your $600 and wanted it shipped immediately, i told him the soonest it could be shipped was the next morning and made a label that night, knowing that he wanted to get the item as soon as possible i made a special trip to the closest UPS store which is like 35 miles away, i figured he wouldn't want it taken to a drop because it would not be picked up until the end of the day(the only UPS drop in my town), so i get back home and check my e-mail around noon and he left a message saying he changed his mind because he found a cheaper case and said he canceled the shipment because i had given him tracking info the night before, so then he wanted me to go pick up the item and refund his money, as he has rubbed in my nose from the beginning Paypal will always refund money for whatever reason even if buyers remorse or whatever in this case, so at this point i hope i just get my case back without being tampered with since what he is saying now he will refuse the item and file a claim with Paypal but in 20 years of selling stuff i have never dealt with this type of character before, WOW a dentist really?

I remember your case, it is nice and a bit different than what we normally see with yours having the rectangle snake inlays.

After reading the above I don't think I'd classify the guy as a scammer, maybe more of a flake or time waster, someone whose word isn't his bond and I see this fairly often with internet sales.

I think the takeaway is that yes, the guy treated you like crap but as a seller there are measures we can take to minimize our exposure to these kinds of frustrations. To be candid, your decision to drive 35 miles to ship the case is on you. Why not just ship at your local post office?

I disagree with you that eBay and paypal *always* side with the buyer even when there's buyer's remorse. It's true that their default is set up in the buyers favor because historically seller's are actually at fault more than buyers but you do get a chance to make your case in a dispute.

I would agree that the buyer was flakey and probably a cheapskate but in order for him to be a scammer he would have had to try to steal from you.

all imo, of course.

good luck with re-selling your nice case.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
This is not legal advice.

Careful dealing me

This is not legal advice.

You have incurred cash damages because of this person.

I would suggest you march on down to your local cop shop and make a complaint, get a number, later get a copy, and then scan it and use it to complain to PayPal with the rest of your documentation. The only way you're going to make sure he doesn't do this to someone else to close his PayPal account, and if your cops are friendly, maybe they can help you recover your cash. Don't discount your time either. It's precious.

The boys will fill you in on the rest of what you can do.

In the meantime, you might want to take his name off here, and I wouldn't suggest telling the cops or anyone else you did that.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member

Screenshot_2019-09-21-11-54-03.jpg

Sounds like a scam to me. Hoping you would refund some of his money as to not take a total loss fighting through PP. Might not be what some people consider a scam but it is. If I can get something cheaper then that is my responsibility BEFORE we make a deal and the item is shipped. If the item is received and then they want a refund that's a whole different thing.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WildWing...I'd like to think your comment was tongue in cheek...at least I hope so. That tired old cliche' has no place in today's world. First of all, it's not true.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, teach.

Those who can't teach, teach gym.

All the best,
WW

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Would have never replied to the $400 offer or any offers thereafter.

Perhaps fate is telling you not to part with your fine case.

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This whole story sounds fishy. You kind of sound like a rookie at selling.

Ebay and PayPal doesn't not always refund.

Buyers just can't say they want their money back. There is a process to go through.

The buyer will have to return the item and the refund doesn't get returned until the item is returned.

Seems like you are jumping the gun by coming on here without getting this settled.

UPS will do pick-ups. Sounds like you were in a real hurry to get rid of this case.

If the case was worth $550 why don't you just list it at $550?

It's okay, I see this crap every day on facebook.

JC

Coos Cues
WildWing...I'd like to think your comment was tongue in cheek...at least I hope so. That tired old cliche' has no place in today's world. First of all, it's not true.

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

Sounds like Scott is looking for a game. :clapping:

Johnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I sell a lot of stuff on Ebay and my personal saying is if a buyer is a pain in the ass before they even buy something just wait until they actually do! Even if you need the money you are better off blocking these types of buyers and avoiding them like the plagues they are because they will only cost you time and money.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know you mention the 35 (70 round trip?) miles drive to point out your "above and beyondness." I mean, that's cool, but it also makes you look like you have no idea what your doing. Your worried about the $50? How much gas do you think that trip used? It really sounds like a cheap lesson in online selling. Also, if I was that Dr. and caught wind of you DOXXING me, I would legally come after you. Doesn't matter if you were scorned, there are laws.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am no rookie at selling, i wasn't in no kind of hurry to get rid of the case or anything else i sell, i was trying to be nice by driving it to the UPS store because my town only has a drop and the items do not get picked up until the end of the day and the buyer wanted same day and at the time of the agreement it was already too late to ship the same day, i contacted paypal according to them the buyer doesn't even need to accept the shipment he can file a dispute and get his money back regardless of the reason, if you don't believe me contact paypal before you end up in a similar situation

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
good advice the $400 low ball offer should have been enough to steer clear of this buyer, I guess i am an anti-dentite HAHA

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
it would have been 140 miles plus the $25 shipping, the dentist waited until i had already drove there once and said he had changed his mind and wanted me to go back to pick up the case, i am a landlord with much experience dealing with the law and just giving other sellers advice and an accurate description of events of my dealing with said buyer

rossaroni

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry you had to deal with this. Guy sounds like a super cheap nit.

No matter people’s personal opinion on the situation, if your story is what really happened, I see no way anyone could defend the buyer.

gambler67

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes sadly it is true, like one of the other members suggested i should have ignored this person after the cheap low ball offer, remarkably he contacted UPS and never even opened the package he must have stopped shipment at some point, how in the world can a buyer just change his mind after shipment has been made and without any reason just comes back to the seller, pretty sad

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
yes sadly it is true, like one of the other members suggested i should have ignored this person after the cheap low ball offer, remarkably he contacted UPS and never even opened the package he must have stopped shipment at some point, how in the world can a buyer just change his mind after shipment has been made and without any reason just comes back to the seller, pretty sad
Amazon and others have conditioned many buyers into some pretty reprehensible behavior if they aren't bright enough to understand the differences between Amazon, a retailer on Ebay, a casual individual seller on Ebay and some dude on a forum.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member

pls keep this in mind:

this buyer flaked on you or cheaped out on you but he didn't scam you.

if he scammed you you would be out a case and/or money.

take some solace in that it def could have been worse. Chalk it up to a cheap lesson learned.

best,
brian kc

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pls keep this in mind:

this buyer flaked on you or cheaped out on you but he didn't scam you.

if he scammed you you would be out a case and/or money.

take some solace in that it def could have been worse. Chalk it up to a cheap lesson learned.

best,
brian kc

Scammed him out of time effort and shipping costs.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scammed him out of time effort and shipping costs.

I appreciate your opinion but I do respectfully disagree. The op of this thread, the seller, made some decisions that IMO exposed himself unnecessarily.

If everything that was reported happened the way the op said and no reason to think they didn't then I certainly do sympathize and I feel bad for the hassle he went through.