Predator 25th Anniversary Video

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Interesting to see the timeline. They started on carbon fiber around 1994. I think I saw a first generation shaft from then and it had a hard time spinning the ball.

Poolhall60561

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very nice success story for the pool world. High end customs cues still “rule the roost” with most of the better players but Predator right behind.

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have 4 predators all with 314-3 shafts and would not trade them
for any other cue. Just me but I think its a great cue

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video. They’ve worked hard to make alternative road for pool cues. I hope it continues to pay off.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting to see the timeline. They started on carbon fiber around 1994. I think I saw a first generation shaft from then and it had a hard time spinning the ball.

Doesn't that somewhat speak against the common opinion that shaft material does not influence amount of spin imparted?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't that somewhat speak against the common opinion that shaft material does not influence amount of spin imparted?
The problem with the shaft was not with moderate amounts of spin. For that, I think it played nearly like every other shaft. The problem came up for very off-center hits. There is a problem that Coriolis discussed almost 200 years ago of the tip dragging on the cue ball at the end of the shot for extreme spin shots. Whether it does that or not depends on a lot of material properties and I think the 1994 prototype had the wrong set of factors.

I think that a "dead" tip -- very lossy -- can also result in the dragging problem.

An additional issue with the testing I saw was that most of the shots were taken by an early version of "Iron Willie" (seen in the video) that had a grip that was very firm. That also accentuates the dragging problem because the cue stick doesn't slow down as much when it is effectively heavier.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was initially watching the video, I thought the tools/equipment they were showing (in the present day video, not the old photographs), was part of Predator's RD lab. Looking at it more closely, along with the carts they had with a bunch of Revo's, I wonder if this is actually the mass production location for the Revo shaft.