US Open draw and rules

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m on mobile now but I think the player contract was near the players list. It’s definitely worth reading imo. I hope Matchroom keeps to it, and comes down with an iron fist on rule violations:) imo.

This one http://www.matchroompool.com/wp-content/uploads/2019-US-Open-Players-Contract.pdf

Wow.. No smoking during breaks. Means those smokers may suffer

7.5 Player Breaks
a) Double Elimination Stage of the Event – Players are entitled to a maximum of two toilet breaks per match, per player. Breaks are to be taken at the end of racks only and for a maximum of four minutes long. Under no circumstances are Player’s allowed to smoke in this break or the match.
b) Last 16 Stage of the Event – Players are entitled to take a break in the television commercial breaks only and must notify the referee when doing so. Breaks are not allowed to be longer than five minutes long. Under no circumstances are Player’s allowed to smoke in this break or the match.
c) Should any Player breach the allocated break time in both stages of the Event, one rack will be deducted upon late arrival, with a further rack for every two minutes after that.
d) Should any Player be found smoking in their match or allocated break time, a warning shall be issued by a Tournament Director and or Promoter; after one warning the Player will then forfeit their match which is at the sole discretion of the Promoter.

The detailed rules of play are covered i Appendix 1 to 4

pc1.JPG

breakrules.JPG

shot clock.JPG

foul rules.JPG

Looks like it is not win by 2 racks like in previous years. I like that rule
:D

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I really like the “must use forceful break “ rule. This isn’t a court of law where just because 3 balls don’t pass the headstring you have fouled, regardless of the kisses and whatnot that can make a twenty some mph break still not land 3 balls, or combo of behind the string.

Just hit them hard.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why????

Just looks really bad!!!!

if you believe in Fargo then having one bracket filled with top players is far from fair

KD

I think it is not unreasonable to reward activity—showing up for high level events. I think the idea of balancing active head-to-head results and demonstrated performance is a good one. It is possible to do it a little more elegantly, and we have some ideas, but I think the spirit of what matchroom is doing is fine.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
I think it is not unreasonable to reward activity—showing up for high level events. I think the idea of balancing active head-to-head results and demonstrated performance is a good one. It is possible to do it a little more elegantly, and we have some ideas, but I think the spirit of what matchroom is doing is fine.
How can it be ok for such HUGE difference in rank? Like I said, 45/35 is Siming fargo rate and her seeding is 86 more than double!

Fargo rank for Orcollo is 5 and his seeding is 28 and roughly 5 times worse than it should be! He plays in a ton of tournaments and I just don't buy the excuse....

It is obvious! They play down to top 32 then single elimination stages! With this set up it stacks the deck for some players to the 32 stage! Look at the field for the top and bottom bracket compared to the middle and tell me that this is fair!

Kd

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How can it be ok for such HUGE difference in rank? Like I said, 45/35 is Siming fargo rate and her seeding is 86 more than double!

Fargo rank for Orcollo is 5 and his seeding is 28 and roughly 5 times worse than it should be! He plays in a ton of tournaments and I just don't buy the excuse....

It is obvious! They play down to top 32 then single elimination stages! With this set up it stacks the deck for some players to the 32 stage! Look at the field for the top and bottom bracket compared to the middle and tell me that this is fair!

Kd

I am not defending the process in detail. WPA rankings play a big role, and those depend on the players participating a lot. Players from the Philippines generally participates less, and of course Siming hasn't played in the open events.

As I said, we have some ideas that we think help balance the situation--acknowledging the incentives implicit in the current approach and also considering broader performance measures.

At this point we consider it progress that players like Mike Dechaine, Darren Appleton and Siming Chen despite their lower standing (generally from nonparticipation) in WPA rankings are seeded at all.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
She would have been better off!

This is the reason for a true draw with no seeding!

I appreciate the discussion! What is done is done! Just sad to see history repeats itself over and over again! Back in the upa days to cup selection scheninigans the billiard industry keeps shooting itself in the foot for god knows what?
Playing nick nack patty whack , give a dog a bone!!!

Kd

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
She would have been better off!

This is the reason for a true draw with no seeding!

I appreciate the discussion! What is done is done! Just sad to see history repeats itself over and over again! Back in the upa days to cup selection scheninigans the billiard industry keeps shooting itself in the foot for god knows what?
Playing nick nack patty whack , give a dog a bone!!!

Kd

Keep in mind, this is ah first for Matchroom, an American 9 ball tournament.
Matchroom cut their chops on Snooker, and they still don't have that figured out 100%. Us American pool players should be thankful for our cueists over the pond.
This is a starting point, one to be learned from or not. It took Matchroom 17 years before it made a profit on the Mosconi Cup.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Keep in mind, this is ah first for Matchroom, an American 9 ball tournament.

Matchroom cut their chops on Snooker, and they still don't have that figured out 100%. Us American pool players should be thankful for our cueists over the pond.

This is a starting point, one to be learned from or not. It took Matchroom 17 years before it made a profit on the Mosconi Cup.
Based on the seeding! SHAW AND SVB have super soft brackets!

They want them to win! They are tipping the scales in their favor! They have gone to great lengths to do so! Look at how " crazy" the seeding system is!

I think that their market consumer wants to see themselves in the product and they think it is ok to tip the scales and sell their products.

Kd

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Major tennis events have been seeding fields FOREVER. Look, its a game/sport AND entertainment. If you're the promoter and you want viewers(live or broadcast) seeding helps insure it. It helps, not guarantees,to get better players in the later rounds. You'll still have early-round upsets but hopefully you'll get the big-boy mega matches as the event goes on.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Major tennis events have been seeding fields FOREVER. Look, its a game/sport AND entertainment. If you're the promoter and you want viewers(live or broadcast) seeding helps insure it. It helps, not guarantees,to get better players in the later rounds. You'll still have early-round upsets but hopefully you'll get the big-boy mega matches as the event goes on.
Seeding would have been the use of Fargo 100%!

That means that a tough road for Shaw and SVB was averted ...

Because neither is ranked Number one or two!

They went even further by stacking softer USA ranked players and putting international players in separate brackets!

Then if someone wins it is going to be with a BIG asterisk!

Kd

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way they did seeding makes sense to me. First off, just that they did it at all is unusual and good. Second, that they based it first on tournament wins and rankings, and that they then used Fargo ratings to fill in the others.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeding would have been the use of Fargo 100%!

That means that a tough road for Shaw and SVB was averted ...

Because neither is ranked Number one or two!

They went even further by stacking softer USA ranked players and putting international players in separate brackets!

Then if someone wins it is going to be with a BIG asterisk!

Kd

Hey, you're welcome to start/promote/produce you're own event. Good luck with that. This is pro pool's last shot in this country.BH's track record speaks for itself. Give them time to get this train moving.

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
Hey, you're welcome to start/promote/produce you're own event. Good luck with that. This is pro pool's last shot in this country.BH's track record speaks for itself. Give them time to get this train moving.
It is not that simple!

Money is involved and it is gambling!

Those players paid to play and deserve a fair shake!

Might as well call it a show versus a sport if this is how it is going to be! Like ringling Bros says "the greatest show on earth "

Kd

BJTyler747

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kid Dynomite;6378363[I said:
]Who is he?[/I] Hulk hogan was the best and randy macho man! This illustrates my point! Claim he is the best and history does not even know who he is!!!

Kd

How dare you sir!

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is not that simple!

Money is involved and it is gambling!

Those players paid to play and deserve a fair shake!

Might as well call it a show versus a sport if this is how it is going to be! Like ringling Bros says "the greatest show on earth "

Kd

Have you voiced your opinion/theory to MR directly? They are pretty good about replying. I'd be curious to hear their response. If you FB just search "us open 9ball" or Matchroom sport either one.