Barry Hearn

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hearn talks some shit and contradicts himself at the end of that video

if you're all about equality and creating opportunities to the up and comes you don't gift spots to past over the hill champs

having said that, IF he can continue to grow the prize money, and I mean really grow it, then more power to him

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Adrian Golstein -Talksports radio

Hearn talks some shit and contradicts himself at the end of that video

if you're all about equality and creating opportunities to the up and comes you don't gift spots to past over the hill champs

having said that, IF he can continue to grow the prize money, and I mean really grow it, then more power to him

Adrian interviewed Barry last night on his Sports Bar show & he replayed part of an interview that Barry gave on 4/3/2014 & he said to Barry you seem to have went back on your word that there are no exeptions to the rules & every player is the same so why did you go back on your word Barry ?

Barry explained that watching the US Masters golf & the cheers that went up for past champions gave him the idea to put foward the idea of past Snooker Champions & multiply title winners to get a pass back into tournaments when the drop off the tour.

So Barry's went back on his words about this one so who's to say he won't move the World Championship's to China in the future ?

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Past World Champions

Quote:

Hearn also announced all living former world champions would be invited to play in qualifying rounds for next year's Crucible tournament, meaning the likes of Dennis Taylor, Cliff Thorburn, Terry Griffiths or even 81-year-old Ray Reardon could be involved.

I follow a few Darts forums & when Barry Hearn said that about former Snooker World Champions getting an invite to come back to play & would the Darts fans like to see Barry Hearn do the same thing for former World Darts Champions so I looked through the comments.

A very high % of the Darts fans would love to see their old heros play on the boards again , even although most agreed that they would be passed it nowadays but it would be fun to see them in action again on the big stage ! :smile::cool::D:thumbup:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a competitive field is the answer not gift spots

the nfl as an example goes to great lengths to ensure parity and it's their guiding light, those freebies are great for promotional purposes but as far as "competitive" snooker...nah, pass

like i said though, if Hearn can grow and get the sponsors, so be it, personally I'd just ask the Chinese to toss another 20-30 million into the pot and then give em whatever they want

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big prize on offer in China

http://www.sportinglife.com/snooker...ampionship-to-have-a-top-prize-of-163-200-000

Quote :

" World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn said: "We are thrilled to be working with the promoter Evergrande and the CBSA on this brand new event. Our global calendar gets busier every season and this is a major addition.

For the invited players this time it's an incredible opportunity to play a big tournament in a new city with the chance to earn a huge top prize - the biggest we've ever had in Asia. And from next year it's a full ranking event open to all tour players.

Snooker in China goes from strength to strength, we now have five major tournaments there this season and we're thrilled to be going to Guangzhou for the first time. Alongside our partners in China we're creating a very bright future for our sport."

Barry Hearn is filling up the Snooker calendar alright and soon it will be as busy as the Darts tournament schedule but where's the major Snooker event in the USA or Canada , when's that gonna happen ?

I'd phone him up and ask but I don't know his phone number but if you know his phone number , phone him up and ask when is he going to make them happen . Maybe soon , you just never know as John Virgo would say ! :wink::cool::grin:

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh gromulan-

Aside from the PTC events what has he accomplished? Power Snooker is a joke, and ratings aren't any higher than they were before he was brought back. It's not like he added a bunch of new ranking events.

Snooker needs someone with more of an international focus. The game's future is the Asian market, the management needs to recognize that and act accordingly.

Hi gromulan,

In answer to what has Barry Hearn done:
Ahem,
For the last 30 years he has created, produced, marketed and filmed events with the highest production values that BBC money buys
Barry Hearn is English. he owns Matchroom Sport,
a privately owned family company-

Gambling is legal in England and there are betting houses on every block.
For one, He galvanized Snooker (no small feat)
Which is one reason why they are able to make money and continue making money
He produces events in Golf, Boxing, Bowles, Fishing, Ping Pong(table tennis) and Darts, among others.

He also owns Party Poker .net
He produces events and packages the programming hours and sells the hours to the ESPN's of Europe and Asia (Sky, Eurosport, SunSport)
He has given pool players a global stage and made the faces of pool players global!!

He's been inducted into both the BCA HOF and The Boxing HOF.

Not only did he change the face of Snooker and Darts, but that of pool as well, with World Pool Masters and The World Cup of Pool.

He has single handedly funneled all of USA's events to feed into one giant event-
The Mosconi Cup-
In essence, he managed to corral a herd of cats!!

not much else otherwise(sarcasm)

Chicagoplayer

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pics from HOF Induction and MC

Hi gromulan,

Ahem,
For the last 30 years he has created, produced, marketed and filmed events with the highest production values that BBC money buys

He produces events in Golf, Boxing, Bowles, Fishing, Ping Pong(table tennis) and Darts, among others.

He produces events and packages the programming hours and sells the hours to the ESPN's of Europe and Asia (Sky, Eurosport, SunSport)
He has given pool players a global stage and made the faces of pool players global!!

Not only did he change the face of Snooker and Darts, but that of pool as well, with World Pool Masters and The World Cup of Pool.

He has single handedly funneled all of USA's events to feed into one giant event-
The Mosconi Cup-

Forgot pics

Attachments

• Barry Skip and Me.jpg
    Barry Skip and Me.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Barry H and Me.jpg
    Barry H and Me.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 536

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi gromulan,

Ahem,

The Mosconi Cup-

Dang !

I feel like I've missed out on an argument . Barry Hearn does what Barry Hearn do's and that is Promote events . Sure not every player or fan likes all his ideas but he's a Promoter , maybe a fan but not a player .

Another way to look at Barry Hearn is apart from Promoting events how many people has he helped to employ over the years ?

From ticket sales (let's forget about the ticket touts for the time being) the bouncers at the front door , security staff , ushers , the bar staff , hotel staff , I mean it's an endless list if you think outside the box . There's a lot more to it than a few cameras and commentators than any of us will ever know . :rolleyes::smile::thumbup: