Barry Hearn

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn says snooker can survive without Ronnie O'Sullivan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/42765182

Quote .

" Hearn added on BBC Radio 5 live's Sportsweek programme: "My dream would be Ronnie lasts for ever. My other dream is I produce six more Ronnie O'Sullivans to replace him when he goes."

Hearn, who is also the chairman of the Professional Darts Corporation, says that recent events in that sport make him feel positive snooker can thrive in a post-O'Sullivan era.

"We had exactly the same thing in the world of darts - Phil Taylor has retired and everyone says 'he's the greatest player ever, what are we going to do?'.

"He retires, someone else [Rob Cross] wins, the game hits bigger figures than it's hit before and snooker will be the same."

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Hearn Teases World Snooker Championship 147 Bonus

https://snookerhq.com/2018/04/04/barry-hearn-teases-world-snooker-championship-147-bonus/

You really couldn't make it up even if you were a Hollywood scriptwriter but after Ronnie O'Sullivan and Stuart Bingham knock in 147 maximums Barry Hearn dangles the carrot of an increased bonus if a 147 maximum is made at this years 'World's' .

Well Mr Barry Hearn I hope you end up paying out this 'bonus' ! :rolleyes::wink::grin::grin-square:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eric Bristow MBE R.I.P.

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2018/04/05/eric-bristow-passes-away

Quote .

" PDC Chairman Barry Hearn led the tributes to Bristow, stating: “Eric will always be a legend in the world of darts and British sport. He was a tremendous player and a huge character and even after his retirement fans would travel for miles to meet him and see him play.

“Eric was never afraid of controversy, but he spoke as he found and was honest and straightforward which is what people admired about him. The PDC, and the sport of darts, will miss him.”

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Super Suljovic's German Darts Masters Glory

https://www.pdc.tv/news/2018/05/25/super-suljovics-german-darts-masters-glory

German Darts Masters: Mensur Suljovic defeats rising star Dimitri van den Bergh to win World Series of Darts title

So this Darts event was held at Shalke 04 Football stadium in Germany on Friday in front of 20,000 and take my word for it if Barry Hearn got the Wembley football stadium in England all sorts of sports events would've been held there , heck he'd have an F1 Grand Prix race around the track side .

Barry 'Bums On Seats' Hearn .

Yes it's times like these I miss Scaramouche.....

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to PDC Chairman @BarryHearn, who turns 70 today!

https://twitter.com/OfficialPDC/sta...src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https://www.pdc.tv/news

World Darts Championship expanded to 96 players, including two women :

The William Hill World Darts Championship will include 96 competitors and have a record £2.5 million prize fund, including a huge £500,000 to the champion.

https://www.sportinglife.com/darts/news/world-darts-championship-expands/148556

Quote .

" It is a bit of an experiment, it's a step into the unknown," PDC chairman Barry Hearn admitted.

"It's a long-term project, we are giving them the opportunity. Some of them are good players, but they have got to do it on a consistent basis. I wouldn't have involved them if I was still working with 72 players.

"It has to be a level playing field for everybody and if people rise to the challenge and if they do then good luck to them.

"There's no reason why women can't throw darts as well as men."

Barry Hearn: ‘BDO takeover would have been a terrible waste of money’ :

http://www.live-darts.com/category/...would-have-been-waste-of-money-20180605-0001/

Happy Birthday number 70 Barry Hearn ! :wink::grin-square:

church66

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ronnie O'Sullivan: Barry Hearn says player's breakaway plan is 'nonsensical'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/snooker/46432531

Quote .

" Ronnie O'Sullivan's desire to form a "Champions League-style" breakaway series of snooker events is "nonsensical", according to World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn.

Five-time world champion O'Sullivan said on Sunday he is unhappy with the number of events on the calendar and the travelling required.

Hearn told BBC Radio 5 live he was "incredulous" at the comments.

"I want to watch him play but I am getting tired of his remarks," he said.

"It's a nonsensical thought because Ronnie needs someone to play. But it is clear that not one single member of the 128 on the pro tour will trust their future to Mr O'Sullivan."

O'Sullivan 'ready' with breakaway tour
O'Sullivan cruises into fourth round
'He can ban me'
Following his UK Championship third-round whitewash over Zhou Yuelong on Monday, six-time UK champion O'Sullivan said he did not care if Hearn took disciplinary action.

"He can ban me," O'Sullivan, 42, said. "If he wants to ban me tomorrow then I have already accepted that decision. I would rather walk away than live in fear about what I say.

"It doesn't worry me what he says any more. He is on mute on Twitter and I don't really have him in my thinking.

"I haven't got too much time so either make the tweaks which will benefit everybody or don't make the tweaks. I still have to be pro-active. But my gut feeling is nothing will change.

"It is simple, we need a few tweaks. Either do it or don't do it. But if you don't do it, I will look for alternatives because I still want to play."

Hearn added he had got used to O'Sullivan having plenty to say in the media.

"He's a genius on the table, but off the table sometimes he does get a little bit carried away and should perhaps be a little bit more mature," he said.

"He is on another planet when it comes to his brilliance on the table, and when he talks about the business of snooker.

"Snooker has never been in a better place. Prize money has quadrupled in the past few years and players are happy. That's not to say we can't get better but we will do it as a group.

"I will certainly be speaking to him but will not be talking to him while in action in a major tournament. I want to him to play at his best."

O'Sullivan breezes through Zhou match
'Money is not an issue for him'
World number five Judd Trump said O'Sullivan's comments were not representative of the rest of the players on tour.

"He's living on a different planet to the rest of us," the 2011 UK champion said. "Money is not an issue to him. He can take chances and has such a strong following that he will always be able to earn money in the game and away from the table when he retires.

"He's a bit on his own there, I think. What Barry Hearn has done is amazing for us. Money is going up every year.

"I am more than happy with what is going on. For most of the players, I think we are all pretty happy."

Six-time world champion Steve Davis said: "Ronnie is speaking for Ronnie. I don't necessarily think he is speaking for the other 127 players on tour. Ronnie is an ambassador for the sport but I think people on the look up to him as a player on the tour but not what he says."

Ken Doherty, the 1997 world champion, added: "Ronnie should stop moaning. It's a lot tougher down the bottom than it is at the top. We have seen the bad times and these are the good times. Don't knock the sport.

"Twenty years ago there were problems. Now the sport is in a good space."

View Comments 71