Thanks from TAR

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Tar

Just like to thank Tar for some of the best live stream to date. I must admit I did not accomplish much by watching so much pool, but really enjoyed it. Thank you to Mark Griffin for his undaunted energy and funds to make this happen. Great commentary all the way, and congrats to "THE MAGICIAN" best pool player to ever raise a cue, and big congrats to SVB, who made 10 ball look soooooo easy. Justin you are the Man- keep up the good work for the love of our game!

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure what you mean by technical issues regarding this stream.

We didnt have any technical issues on our end for this stream. There were two stretches of about 15-20 minutes when a few people reported choppy streams but others said they had no problem. Considering we streamed for over one hundred hours over the course of ten days I think that is pretty good.

The only issues we had were user related and those were either peoples browsers caching old links for the PPV purchase or something on the end users computer or internet connection. The thing about streaming is that we can do everything right and the end user still has problems. Honestly this is about 90% of the problems we encounter. We had a problem during TAR 20 that was a glitch in our PPV provider database but that was an extremely rare occurrence.

I look at my email for tech support and the great majority of the problems could have been handled if the customer would have either read the FAQ or simply refreshed their browser.

I'm quite positive that your "super group" would tell me what I already know: If we had more money we could do more.

I am curious though which technical problems you are referring to regarding TAR specifically not all streamers grouped together.

I have (2) problems.

The first was handled by you was my PPV and I selected somehow that my paypal would pay you in 2-3 days instead of immediately. You gave me a work around but there has to be a way to handle it without your involvement. Again, there is a need to make it idiot proof (or Ken proof - probably the same thing.)

Secondly, Id like to have almost full screen with the ability to chat as well. I could do either but not both.

The picture quality was much improved, and I thought the commentary was okay but not accu-stat quality.

It sounds like I am negative, but Im really not and that isnt my intent.

Thanks for all you do,

Ken

BigCat

The Panda Diaries
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have (2) problems.

The first was handled by you was my PPV and I selected somehow that my paypal would pay you in 2-3 days instead of immediately. You gave me a work around but there has to be a way to handle it without your involvement. Again, there is a need to make it idiot proof (or Ken proof - probably the same thing.)

Secondly, Id like to have almost full screen with the ability to chat as well. I could do either but not both.

The picture quality was much improved, and I thought the commentary was okay but not accu-stat quality.

Thanks for all you do,

Ken

Your second "issue" is not a technical difficulty/issue, it's a feature request (I'm also in engineering... software arch/dev). If you are an engineering manager, then you should know there is a huge difference between the two. This is not a glitch, bug, or issue... you would simply like it to be added to the stream as a new feature.

To call this a "continued technical difficulty" is incorrect in my opinion and misrepresents what an outstanding job TAR did on this event.

Ray

Last edited:

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you

Thank you guys it was awesome. The whole family spent the week on the couch. We learned allot great commentary Thank you :thumbup:

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ken

This is my one issue too, that the PPV video viewer is locked to one size or expand full screen as the only two options. I am also not going to play around with 5 different web browsers to workaround it. I was under the impression from an early discussion with Accu-Stats that I think uses the same PPV provider that this could be unlocked. Regardless, I used this easy workaround from Cali that worked great for the whole PPV stream to have what you are trying to do:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=231597

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your second "issue" is not a technical difficulty/issue, it's a feature request (I'm also in engineering... software arch/dev). If you are an engineering manager, then you should know there is a huge difference between the two. This is not a glitch, bug, or issue... you would simply like it to be added to the stream as a new feature.

To call this a "continued technical difficulty" is incorrect in my opinion and misrepresents what an outstanding job TAR did on this event.

Ray

In my opinion, you are a nit.

I am trying to help these guys. The state of pool, is poor and we need to be better than everyone else.

Obviously, I think these guys are improving and some "enhancements" or issues identified can be corrected or improved.

I try to buy all TAR presentations and streams, I also try to buy all books, movies and whatever in efforts to support the sport. I buy a couple cues from cuemakers each year.

I would ask what you do to support, but frankly I just dont care.

Ken

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I have (2) problems.

Thanks for all you do,

Ken

on the first point.. it would be nice to not to have to involve anyone.. but it was a accident on your part, and paypal only did what you told it to do.. they can't really override paypal...

2nd - as Joe noted below.. I came up with a easy workaround for the fixed size window that allows you to resize it however you want it for the most part. I didn't get much response to it, even with a subject like this:)
Tip on how to resize TAR PPV's so you can chat and see video
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=3013606&postcount=1

3rd... you just have to realize that it's not like these guys get paid to commentate. We had some great people in the booth. The hands down best in the business Billy Incardona enlightened us for several days in the onepocket. The guys been hurting from back surgery too. Throw in Corey Deuel, Scott Frost, Jeremy Jones, Ken Schuman, Jay Helfert, the debut of Artie Bodendorfer, Larry Schwartz and who could leave out laid back Justin and Cleary.

Everyone has their own preference in commentators, so if those don't do it for you, nobody can necessarily rag on you about it. But we got lots of pro players in there, that were donating their time (as far as I know)

Hopefully you had a good time!

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
TAR continues to improve. They are not 100% yet, hell most TV networks aren't at 100% either, but it seems that TAR improves a little each time.

I am trying to stay positive and support TAR in spite of its growing pains, but a lot of frustration each time they stream.

Just a thought, and take this as a constructive criticism as I appreciate the efforts. Would it be worthwhile to hire some "super duper" group to overcome the continued technical issues?

I have been an Engineering Manager, and I understand sometimes you need to call in for a little help on specific issues.

I wish you and your team continued success.

Ken Strain

Dear Engineering Mgr,
You sound just like the Engineering Managers I deal with. Call for help instead of being the Engineer and figuring it out. This may be why you can't properly use your computer.
Cheers,
Salesman Mark

PS> OK, I am sorry. I deal with Engineering Mgrs every day of my life and so this feels real good to lash out. Sorry if this is too hurtful but your slams bother me simply by the way you worded them. If I am the Salesman of record for your Engineering Firm I apologize in advance and I truly hope your Lead Project Engineers continue to call for simple support. Who'd you say you work for? Oh Lord. I'm in trouble

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
OK Ken, Based on your latest post I retract my apology. You shouldn't call people nits when you write stupid posts because you don't know how to properly use your PC.

I screwed up on the last day of the stream bc I did not follow the simple instructions. I ended up buying May 20th twice. But I was trying to buy May 21st. Justin fixed the problem in less then 10 minutes.

I all most red repped you but I honestly don't think you realize how your comments come across.
Regards,
Hungarian

paksat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, you are a nit.

I am trying to help these guys. The state of pool, is poor and we need to be better than everyone else.

Obviously, I think these guys are improving and some "enhancements" or issues identified can be corrected or improved.

I try to buy all TAR presentations and streams, I also try to buy all books, movies and whatever in efforts to support the sport. I buy a couple cues from cuemakers each year.

I would ask what you do to support, but frankly I just dont care.

Ken

He just told you the truth... this isn't a technical difficulty..

What in the world did you bring that tone in for?

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have (2) problems.

Thanks for all you do,

Ken

The PayPal issue is one that is completely out of my control. I can not decide what type of payment you send me. I try to keep an eye on the E-Checks and send out new log ins as soon as I see one. If I am busy with something else then it can take longer.

As for the video window and resizing it is something I will talk to AudioVideoweb about but it just hasn't been a priority. I understand the end user wanting the ability to drag and resize the window. The fact that we have reached a point where that is one of the biggest points of interest is IMO a good thing.

The commentary is a subjective topic so thats all up to each individual to take or leave as they like. I like a wide variety of commentators instead of a week of the same two or three guys. Different strokes for different folks. We'll just keep doing the best we can.

I appreciate your input and your support. I hope we can make some improvements in the future that keep you coming back.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Most of the TV stations in Tampa, FL (5) stream things like big court cases, presidents and others speaches, shuttle takeoffs and landings, anything that would take up all day or hours of TV air time. I'm sure most all stations around the country are doing it or will be soon. They have a murder trial on now and I see no difference in quality of stream between the news channels and TAR. In fact I believe TAR is clearer. It can only help people get used to watching streams. Getting the TAR website out to more pool players would help sales a lot IMO, but I have no idea how to make that happen. Johnnyt

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is such a disconnect between amateur players and the professional scene. I went to the pool room Tuesday. There was a guy there who plays in nearly every tournament, 5+ days a week. He is a threat to cash, probably a mid B player. I was talking about TAR and the stream last week (specifically how good Shane was playing). He didn't have any idea who Shane VanBoening was, the best American player, let alone what TAR was.

These are the guys who need to be reached to get Justin some monster viewership. Maybe when Justin gets the next match set up, TAR 21, he can design a simple flyer that I can print and take to the pool room. If everyone does that, it may bring some new exposure.

I'll talk with the room owner about purchasing the stream and maybe setting it up on the biggest tv behind the bar as well. That way, people can see it first without having to take a chance on buying it.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
There is such a disconnect between amateur players and the professional scene. I went to the pool room Tuesday. There was a guy there who plays in nearly every tournament, 5+ days a week. He is a threat to cash, probably a mid B player. I was talking about TAR and the stream last week (specifically how good Shane was playing). He didn't have any idea who Shane VanBoening was, the best American player, let alone what TAR was.

These are the guys who need to be reached to get Justin some monster viewership. Maybe when Justin gets the next match set up, TAR 21, he can design a simple flyer that I can print and take to the pool room. If everyone does that, it may bring some new exposure.

I'll talk with the room owner about purchasing the stream and maybe setting it up on the biggest tv behind the bar as well. That way, people can see it first without having to take a chance on buying it.

+1

I believe this is very important. I've posted on this subject before, very regular players who have no idea who the best players in their own sport are! I talk to people all the time with the same results.

I, too, would like a simple, easy-to-print (PFD would be aces!) flyer for the bigger events, so that we can post them in our pool halls, leave them on tables, maybe some league operators might be persuaded to including them in their mailings... It might not make a huge impact right away, but perhaps it can begin to turn more people onto the cool things that already happen in pool. And maybe make it easier for even more cool stuff to take place.

3RAILKICK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Justin-

Do you get many room owner PPV purchasers currently? Are there any differences in purchasing the stream by an individual vs a room owner?

Not talking about a room charging customers to view, just making it available to view on their big screen/ projection TV's by patrons and poolplayers.

Maybe the exposure would generate more PPV sales to individuals??

Just curious-a possible win-win. Another sale, and increased exposure to potential customers.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member

Great post Brandon regards to a grass roots effort.

Green Rep for that Sir

Jay021

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm still cleaning up from the whirlwind that was Vegas 2011 but I wanted to write a thank you post to everyone who made the last two weeks some of the best in TAR history.

Most important are all of the people who supported us by purchasing the pay per views. All of us involved with TAR are extremely grateful for the tremendous support you showed. The event was a success on all fronts for us and it is because of the viewers. Thank you so much. I know there are some residual PPV issues like multiple payments and I am working on getting everything squared away in the next day or so. Thanks to everyone for their patience and support dealing with the pains of streaming live events.

We had the strongest crew ever in Vegas and they should be proud of all the hard work they put in to bring our production to a new level. Nathan and Dave from Run Out Media, Andrew Cleary, Vincent Rochefort, Raphael Dabreo, and Samm Diep all worked their asses off for no where near what they deserved. I want to thank each of them personally for their hard work, great attitudes and most important their friendship.

One person really was the catalyst for the whole thing as far as TAR is concerned. Mark Griffin wanted to do something special this year with streaming for the pro event. He put his money, time and effort 100% behind it and made it happen. This was not a cheap undertaking. From the two giant projection screens to the in room live feed it all took many weeks of meetings, discussions and more than a few dollars. Most people would have just dropped it after looking at the challenges. Mark pulled the trigger and did the work. He takes the heat when things go wrong and he deserves more credit when things go well. Thank you Mark for all of your support.

There were many more people who made the event from the entire CSI Staff who were making the event run smooth to the people who gave us their time to do commentary, to Ric Jones and crew at Bad Boys who do the hardest work of all. David Vandenbergh at CSI gets nowhere near the recognition he deserves for orchestrating the thousands of details an event like this requires. He is the guy you call when you need something done and he saved my ass on numerous occasions over the years. Thank you David. I know I am missing many people as my brain is still half fried but I want to thank all of the people involved with the event. It was a tremendous group effort to create a memorable event for thousands of people.

This was the best event we have ever done and it has a set a new bar for future TAR events that we will strive to achieve and surpass. It was a long hard two weeks but it because of the people involved it will be something I always remember fondly.

Thank you.

Justin Collett

I didn't get to watch as much of the stream as i would like, but what I did watch I thought was great. I really hate this thread is becoming negative because a few people want to bicker back and forth and take away form Justin's original post thanking everyone for the great job they did. I don't personally know Justin, but I did have the pleasure of speaking to him at the Derby this year. He was as good of a guy in person as he comes across in this thread. Now to the original purpose of my reply since I have been rambling. In the original post there are about 6 paragraphs about how great of job everyone did. I am not saying the people in the OP didn't do a great job, because I think they did, but what is missing from the OP? Justin, thats what. I guarantee he sacrificed as much or more than anyone and put in the hours and effort that everyone did, but he is to humble to mention himself and what he went through to get this done. Lets not forget that his ideas is what brought us TAR in the first place. He has donated numerous hours and numerous dollars to the original TAR project and it is becoming more and more sucessful everyday. I can tell he is not the type of person who wants to take credit for things, as he rather pass the credit to others, but i want to say thank you for all you do and it is greatly appreciated by all the fans.

JohnInNH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TAR video

TAR has a lot to be proud of the one pocket coverage was awesome it seems like I couldn't wait to see who or what was coming up next, some of the most incredible video that I have seen on my computer, I didn't get a chance to watch any of the 10 ball but I'm sure that it turned out great also, kudos to you and your associates.

Can't wait for the next major event.

John:)