do I need professional lessons

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
In the late Grady Mathews book "Bet High and Kiss Low" chapter titled "San Francisco 1963" Mathews at that time in his 20's describes how he was always loosing to the same guy at one pocket and in between games and old guy who said his name was Tugboat offered to show him how to play one pocket. A skeptical Grady accepted and after 2 - 2 1/2 hrs the game completely opened up to him and he made a big score off the player who always beat him. The book stated Tugboat was in his 80's.
That would be the one, but I would have described Tugboat as in his 60s in the 60s.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That would be the one, but I would have described Tugboat as in his 60s in the 60s.

Yes, about then Tugboat would have been in his 60's.

He'd sometimes play at my home room, just outside of San Francisco and I mention him in passing in an old post here:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=210602

He was a charming fellow, quite the player, and I believe later on was a referee of note at Johnston City and other events. He's also mentioned in John Grissom's "Billiards."

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• IMG_3553.jpg
    IMG_3553.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 134

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi, new to the forum. been playing daily for at least 2 hours a day for 4 months on a new diamond 7 foot table at my house. I can use left and right spin, can follow and draw well, am starting to really move the cue ball where I want it to go. have watched all of the videos on you tube, picking some of the drills and doing them over and over again.

I now know where I want the cue ball to go after a shot, but when I miss my spot, its either too much speed, or too much spin. I still of coarse have a lot of work to do. in my mind I want just too hit a shot 50 times, to have it my memory, with the right spin and speed. so I want to keep grinding away al least until the first of the year before I join a league.

my question is: do I need a pros help??? I hired a young kid in the first month, and he got me off on a good start, but then he left the state. I have a quote from a local instructor for about 70 a hour.

do I need instruction, or can I just keep practicing daily and my shots and cue ball control will get better on my own?? thanks for any input. judo

People that think a coach is a necessity would be wrong.

People that think you cannot get to a high level ("A" speed or shortstop) by playing "mostly" at home would be wrong.

I'm proof of this. I came back after almost three decades of no pool and within a couple of years of table time at home I now go out ever so often and beat my share of mid-level to strong shortstops in what I consider cheap sets.

Point being, a good coach is a great idea to learn fundamentals without developing bad habits. From that point on watching pros play on YouTube is your best bet to help learn pattern play, saftey play and break techniques for particular games and situations.

On the other hand, I would never suggest to try and copy any pros stance or stroke.

For a long time now, my best offensive practice tool is the ghost. He never misses, he never sandbags or trys to hustle me. He does however beat my a55 every single time I miss a shot or scratch on a break.

The ghost is no help with safety play but there are drills to help with that.

All in all ......, there is only one thing you MUST have that you cannot have by yourself (or at least I couldn't) and that is PRESSURE UNDER THE GUN.

No matter how much you practice you will choke under pressure.

Myself, lol.... I just THOUGHT I was ready to gamble with a mid level shortstop just because I was able to beat the 10 ball ghost at home.

I'm talking beating 10 ball ghost 11 - 3 at times. Lol..... first several times out in public I had my a55 handed to me by much lesser players simply because I was not use to the PRESSURE.

Oh yeah, did I mention PRESSURE?

BTW, invest in recording device. Something cheap is fine. Record your sessions and evaluate yourself from one session to another.

I have found the best way to hold myself accountable is to post ghost vids in the ghost challenge thread. Try to post one video every month or even once a week. It's fun and it's very helpful for others to see your game to give or even ask for advice.

Rake

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
im in Southern California, near Disney land. the reason I say I have only been playing for 4 months and already can use side spin is because im retired, with nothing but time. and the pool bug has bit me pretty hard. its a good thing, as im off the internet and away from the tv. but playing alone has its draw backs. so I have been able to really put my mind and soul into the game and have really improved in this short time.
im just using trial and error on side spin. but after time i have figured out somewhat:wink:
Before you go hog wild with an instructor, I am suggesting the following.
Buy a copy of Bert Kinister's 60 minute workout for 9-Ball (I think you can download it from his site by paying a fee). The principles inculcated therein apply to ALL games.
Spend 6 months of darn hard WORK with it. I'm talking about 4-5 hours a day with that CD only. (then go out and play people after you've worked out with it if you want to do so).
I was one of his first customers way back around 1992, I think, and if you're like I was, the first thing you will say about Shot #1 is this......."I've been ripped off. I paid good money for this fat buzzard to show me how to shoot a straight-in shot?"
How wrong I was...how wrong I was.
I worked with that shot #1 until I could hate it and Kininster as well...........but, he is absolutely right. That shot will create a stroke where there is no stroke. (I had some stroke errors from childhood that needed cleaning up. I'd been told this by top action gambling players, but none could steer me in the right direction.) Even Mosconi...yes, I played him a few times back in 1961 and 1962 and he was astonished at how I seemed to miss so many routine shots while having great form, great follow through, and keeping my head down. He couldn't pin it down either. Neither could Buddy Hall, or Danny Jones,or Long Beach, or Beanie Staton, or Ralph Guest, or Billy Johnson, or Tony Ellin, although Billy J. came VERY close to nailing it.
That silly ass Shot #1 from Kinister's tape WILL create a perfect stroke where there is no stroke. He gives you the tools..........YOU GOT TO DO THE WORK.
And avoid listening to pool players with that "hit a million balls stuff". That is so dumb. I've always asked..."what if the guy is hitting the million balls the wrong way?...that is so shallow and ignorant".
Give Kinnister a try.
Then if you've still got trouble, maybe hunt up an instructor (make sure he can play though...those that are all mouth don't mean too much to me)
Good luck and enjoy the game. I've been at it for 65 years...eyes and nerves are still good too.
However, if you don't like to train or won't train................then forget everything I've written in this post.
:thumbup2:

Last edited:

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since your retired and have unlimited time on your hands, I would research all tips provided here on azbilliards. Watch endless YouTube videos of all the greats.

Since your only a couple months into the game, I would put all my work into my stance, stroke and pre shot routine. No point in putting any work into anything else if you can't shoot straight consistently.

Video recording yourself and reviewing yourself is a must to find any flaws. After recording myself after a 10 year layoff of the game, I found many flaws which is expected. My form at the table I have to compare to a bow legged woman, sliding my bridge hand into the cloth when going down into the shot and a choppy stroke. If I didn't record and review, I wouldn't have recognized my faults otherwise. This video was a couple months after playing again about 2 years ago and you can see what I mean about my form. Thankfully I fixed all those things since then after many hours of workouts.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1petjYwIJiEVAYJjD4VnN-SxOJhbiO8B0/view?usp=drivesdk

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You don't need to pay $70/hr to enjoy or master this game.

You don’t .... and that’s good fortune. However some do and I did. It was money well spent. Quality cost.
No names mentioned ...but a certain (Scott Lee) instructor charges about $300 for 4 hour course. If the course exceeds 4 hour there is no extra charge. He is a dedicated instructor/teacher. His goal is to TEACH POOL not look at his watch or charge for every nut and bolt. His lessons are worth more.

Last edited:

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
I will second the Scott Lee nod. He does a great job and you will be busy every minute of the lesson. Its not a magic bullet but the things he teaches, if you practice them, will pay off gradually as you progress.

Linwood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will second the Scott Lee nod. He does a great job and you will be busy every minute of the lesson. Its not a magic bullet but the things he teaches, if you practice them, will pay off gradually as you progress.

Third! Money and time well spent, and fun.