The World vs US Open CSI

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Mark is a great guy and pretty sure he doesn't want to cause any problems.

However.

Wonder why he doesn't hold the US Open straight pool on the same dates as the Charlie Williams tournament.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Disposable account powers, activate!
trolling-motor-full-day-rental-8hrs

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

However.

Wonder why he doesn't hold the US Open straight pool on the same dates as the Charlie Williams tournament.
HUH??? Just curious as to exactly what your trying to ask. Probably 'cause he DOESN'T want to conflict with the other event.

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

However.

For the past several years the strongest fields for a straight pool tournament have shown up at the American 14.1 Straight Pool Tournament, run by Peter Burrows.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the past several years the strongest fields for a straight pool tournament have shown up at the American 14.1 Straight Pool Tournament, run by Peter Burrows.
I'm a little confused regarding these 3 major straight pool events - the American 14.1, the World 14.1 and the US Open 14.1. Can anyone here confirm the location and dates of all three? Thanks

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm a little confused regarding these 3 major straight pool events - the American 14.1, the World 14.1 and the US Open 14.1. Can anyone here confirm the location and dates of all three? Thanks
Here's the announcement in this forum for the US Open, which is November 16-18 at Griff's in Las Vegas: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477089

Here is the announcement in the 14.1 forum about the Dragon event, August 13-19 in upstate New York (Nanuet): https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477240

Peter Burrows event, the American 14.1 Championship, is at Carom Cafe in Queens, NY, Oct. 16-19, just before Pat Fleming's Open International 9-ball (Norfolk). Here is the announcement I made in the 14.1 forum: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?474852&p=6150883

Joe_Jaguar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

However.

'Cause he has a hard enough time as it is getting people to attend his US Open events. :eek:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's the announcement in this forum for the US Open, which is November 16-18 at Griff's in Las Vegas: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477089

Here is the announcement in the 14.1 forum about the Dragon event, August 13-19 in upstate New York (Nanuet): https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=477240

Peter Burrows event, the American 14.1 Championship, is at Carom Cafe in Queens, NY, Oct. 16-19, just before Pat Fleming's Open International 9-ball (Norfolk). Here is the announcement I made in the 14.1 forum: https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?474852&p=6150883
Bob, thanks for the prompt clarification! Of the 3, the US Open 14.1 seems to be the one that currently has the most trouble attracting participants in recent years. I don't see where moving it to Vegas will help, as the mecca for straight pool or what remains of it, in my opinion, seems to reside in the northeast.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, thanks for the prompt clarification! Of the 3, the US Open 14.1 seems to be the one that currently has the most trouble attracting participants in recent years. I don't see where moving it to Vegas will help, as the mecca for straight pool or what remains of it, in my opinion, seems to reside in the northeast.

The previous location for the US Open 14.1 in Connecticut was good on several points, such as close to an airport and inexpensive rooms, but didn't work well for several other reasons. I think the schedule may have been a factor, too.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The previous location for the US Open 14.1 in Connecticut was good on several points, such as close to an airport and inexpensive rooms, but didn't work well for several other reasons. I think the schedule may have been a factor, too.
It was scheduled right after one of Darren Appleton's events at Steinway's, so you would have thought plenty of players would have gone straight from that event to the 14.1 event in Connecticut, but they only had like 22 players.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It was scheduled right after one of Darren Appleton's events at Steinway's, so you would have thought plenty of players would have gone straight from that event to the 14.1 event in Connecticut, but they only had like 22 players.

Even fewer -- 20 in 2016, 16 in 2017.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
This event has 20 players, that one has 40, the next one has 32, have one bigger event and bring the prestige back.

HUH??? Just curious as to exactly what your trying to ask. Probably 'cause he DOESN'T want to conflict with the other event.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are very lucky to have mark gregory taking an interest in pool
whether it be a wonderful pool room,nice championship tournaments or
his involvement with Diamond pool tables,evverything Mark does is first class

other than his not staking me to play in
the US OPEN ONE POCKET

other than that one bonehead play,mark is first class

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
US Open Straight Pool Championship

To answer the OP question, I would not intentionally ever schedule an event on top of an existing event. It has nothing to do with personalities, it is just bad for the game.

There are several reasons why it has been moved to Las Vegas. We can run a better event at less expense because we own the venue. This event will now become an annual event. It is a legitimate US Open title, and we will rebuild the prestige of the event.

It has always been standard belief that the East Coast has been the hot bed for straight pool. My experience has shown otherwise. I will disagree with Bob Jewett on the schedule being a factor.

It was in an ideal place. $70 rooms (double) with breakfast located directly across the street from the venue. An international airport less than 5 miles from the room. Scheduled one day after Darren Appleton's World Pool Series (that had 80 players), which was only 1 days after the SBE,( which is only 80 miles away or so).

Players could get 3 events for one flight! We had to travel from Las Vegas to run the event and for streaming. It becomes costs prohibitive. In time perhaps well attract a sponsor, and all of their sponsorship money will go to the prize fund.

All I can say is this --- we are going to have the event and I'm really hoping we get a decent turnout. Straight pool is the 'mother of all pool games' and it is our honor to continue the tradition of the US OPEN.

Griffs will be the home of 5 annual US Open events (Banks, One Pocket, 8-ball, 10-ball and 14.1)--All players get treated the same, there is no funny business with the money, and all winners are paid on the spot.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mark Griffin

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
'Cause he has a hard enough time as it is getting people to attend his US Open events.

What if they had dat between two crawfish ponds in a pavilion wit sum berlin goin on in da background?

Like a hustlers jamboree wit a crawfish berl lmao

Who runs out best wit dat fiya on dem lips lol

Hot hot sha,
-greyghost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are indeed extremely lucky to have one venue and one venue owner, in Mark Griffin, who has committed to hosting all 5 of these pool disciplines of US Open events at his awesome facility. Particularly when considering Mark's obvious passion for 14.1, it's just a matter of time until this US Open 14.1 Championship event is able to attract most of the top 14.1 players in this country as well as internationally.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We are very lucky to have mark gregory taking an interest in pool
whether it be a wonderful pool room,nice championship tournaments or
his involvement with Diamond pool tables,evverything Mark does is first class

other than his not staking me to play in
the US OPEN ONE POCKET

other than that one bonehead play,mark is first class

Teee heee.