Cheap sets to figure out his speed, that work?

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your post and the one you quoted really have me doubting you(or the person you quoted) know anything about gambling.

How are you not going to show money? Are you not going to post? Is your opponent not going to post?

I wish I could watch this disaster unfold, except the part of having to testify in court as a witness when this goes severely sideways.

Of course gonna post meant I’m not gonna be that guy flashing bills five seconds into meeting someone. I’m a white guy who wears a lot of gold, I’m walking into a getto spot where everyone is Hispanic. No offense just being honest. They know I have money. I’ve never had anyone not take me seriously. Once it’s time to post we’ll post but I don’t need to flash nothing to chat him up.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some great advice and some that don’t get it.
I hung out with “the middle man” several times and showed him a few things on the table and he often asked me about where the tournaments are at. He cant beat me and he knows he cant beat me. We stopped hanging out because of the language barrier. If he was a bad guy I would have known by now. Not worried about him reading like I said he barey speaks English and seriously doubt he’s heard of azb. The only reason I’m even considering this is because he told me it’s a safe situation. If I was the fish he would have said that guy is easy money. But he told me the guy who’s looking for action is unbelievable.

I’ll check him out and see if he’ll play one pocket or 10 ball on a 9 footer. If it must be barbox I rather play Saratoga. Last pocket doesnt scare me if it’s a race. Just watched the Aranas hill hill game. He made 3 big mistakes in one game. Cant expect to win like that. Happens. Aranas is a great player, there’s a reason his Fargo is 804. Burrito was not scared of him and got lucky Aranas played too aggressive.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some great advice and some that don’t get it.
I hung out with “the middle man” several times and showed him a few things on the table and he often asked me about where the tournaments are at. He cant beat me and he knows he cant beat me. We stopped hanging out because of the language barrier. If he was a bad guy I would have known by now. Not worried about him reading like I said he barey speaks English and seriously doubt he’s heard of azb. The only reason I’m even considering this is because he told me it’s a safe situation. If I was the fish he would have said that guy is easy money. But he told me the guy who’s looking for action is unbelievable.

I’ll check him out and see if he’ll play one pocket or 10 ball on a 9 footer. If it must be barbox I rather play Saratoga. Last pocket doesnt scare me if it’s a race. Just watched the Aranas hill hill game. He made 3 big mistakes in one game. Cant expect to win like that. Happens. Aranas is a great player, there’s a reason his Fargo is 804. Burrito was not scared of him and got lucky Aranas played too aggressive.

Did you say earlier that yiur friend was a 725 player? If that's correct and you player better than he does, well, you are at a minimum a low tier pro speed player.

I play people that are in the 700ish to 740ish range and if I miss, I lose.

If your above 725 this entire thread was not needed.....

Am i misreading something?

Jeff

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I don't know anything about pool gambling but I know you don't see a gambler's $5000 game by watching him play for $20.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Get in there for $20 a game and see if you can win some walking around money. If he beats you, then at least he didn't take you for 5 grand, and you know not to mess with that guy. If you beat him, you have some money in your pocket, and you can weigh your options from there. If you lose a $100+, call it a pool lesson. If you win $100+, you covered your expenses and had a good time.

Mustardeer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you say earlier that yiur friend was a 725 player? If that's correct and you player better than he does, well, you are at a minimum a low tier pro speed player.

I play people that are in the 700ish to 740ish range and if I miss, I lose.

If your above 725 this entire thread was not needed.....

Am i misreading something?

Jeff

Four people involved in the story: guy who likes to bet high ( unknown speed ), middle man aka a guy I know ( prob 580 Fargo ), me, and my friend who’s stronger than me ( 725 Fargo ). I’ve done 5 packs on a barbox but 725 friend has done 8 packs on a 9 footer. I also know a ton of strong players but wanna check out this guy first. I think if I lowkey gently hurt his feelings ( I’m really good at that ) and take some twenties I might clock him. My plan is to play 20 a game half my speed and see what happens.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
That's not the video he was referring to. He was talking about a video (i've seen it i think it's on roy's fb) of Aranas getting completely out-moved playing last pocket on a bar table against a guy who just soft broke and moved. Aranas got drilled because he tried to get out every rack and it just wasn't doable. Last pocket is a total gaffe game when played like this, and even though you think you can just run out on his nonsense, it slowly sets in that you can't. Or at least not a high enough % of the time to win the set.

There was a random eastern European guy who came into our pool hall, where there are some legitimately world class one pocket players, and beat people out of thousands playing last pocket 8 ball. Mika was hanging around at the time, and when Mika saw him he goes "oh yeah, that guy goes all over Europe beating pros at last pocket 8 ball. I wouldn't play him that game" So that should tell you something right there.

Thank you.

Yes, that's the video/match.

Mika gets it.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
That's what I was alluding to in my post.
Hidden camera?
Should I send in my friend or should I play.
Won't lose 500 to make 5000

So many people on here don't gamble, which is fine, but the OP really has no clue.

If someone wants to gamble the options are pretty simple.
Play, don't play, stake someone else, use hidden camera and report back to everyone.

Your post and the one you quoted really have me doubting you(or the person you quoted) know anything about gambling.

How are you not going to show money? Are you not going to post? Is your opponent not going to post?

I wish I could watch this disaster unfold, except the part of having to testify in court as a witness when this goes severely sideways.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
reminds me of a trip north and east long ago

That's not the video he was referring to. He was talking about a video (i've seen it i think it's on roy's fb) of Aranas getting completely out-moved playing last pocket on a bar table against a guy who just soft broke and moved. Aranas got drilled because he tried to get out every rack and it just wasn't doable. Last pocket is a total gaffe game when played like this, and even though you think you can just run out on his nonsense, it slowly sets in that you can't. Or at least not a high enough % of the time to win the set.

There was a random eastern European guy who came into our pool hall, where there are some legitimately world class one pocket players, and beat people out of thousands playing last pocket 8 ball. Mika was hanging around at the time, and when Mika saw him he goes "oh yeah, that guy goes all over Europe beating pros at last pocket 8 ball. I wouldn't play him that game" So that should tell you something right there.

I don't remember where I went, been a long time. Upper Mississippi, Tennessee, Alabama, lower Mississippi to complete the loop. Might have nicked a few more states. One of the first stops after I had a few hundred miles on the clock, playing eightball for a few dollars. I pocketed the eight and my opponent told me I lost! "What?"

"You have to bank the eight." Sure enough, everybody in that place banked the eight. Not long after, another eight ball game, you have to call your shots. No problem. Then I found out that included rubbing rails and the inside rails of the pocket! Somewhere along there I got into an area where they played last pocket. As usual, nobody mentioned that little detail until I lost the first game. I didn't find last pocket that big of a deal but then again I wasn't playing masters of the game.

I didn't find any serious action that trip but I had a more or less good time, saw some pretty country, and came home with enough more than I left with to cover bills for awhile. I considered that loop a few more times but those folks didn't post the rules anywhere and I think a few were made up spur of the moment. The girls were prettier in Acadiana anyway!

Hu

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Did they ever pull the ole you call 3 rails and it brushes just north of the point as it goes in the pocket and they say that is 4 rails?

Gotta love that one.

"You have to bank the eight." Sure enough, everybody in that place banked the eight. Not long after, another eight ball game, you have to call your shots. No problem. Then I found out that included rubbing rails and the inside rails of the pocket! Somewhere along there I got into an area where they played last pocket. As usual, nobody mentioned that little detail until I lost the first game. I didn't find last pocket that big of a deal but then again I wasn't playing masters of the game.

I didn't find any serious action that trip but I had a more or less good time, saw some pretty country, and came home with enough more than I left with to cover bills for awhile. I considered that loop a few more times but those folks didn't post the rules anywhere and I think a few were made up spur of the moment. The girls were prettier in Acadiana anyway!

Hu[/QUOTE]

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Four people involved in the story: guy who likes to bet high ( unknown speed ), middle man aka a guy I know ( prob 580 Fargo ), me, and my friend who’s stronger than me ( 725 Fargo ). I’ve done 5 packs on a barbox but 725 friend has done 8 packs on a 9 footer. I also know a ton of strong players but wanna check out this guy first. I think if I lowkey gently hurt his feelings ( I’m really good at that ) and take some twenties I might clock him. My plan is to play 20 a game half my speed and see what happens.

Aw, ok.

In that case, I would for sure do two things: 1) send a detective to clock him. 2) send weakest player that could beat him.

Then: repeat #2 until it dried up.

Like some have said, $20 a rack probably wont bring his game so the detective wont be able to clock him. If he's a higher stakes player, you'll have to put more up to see, unless you or your detective doesn't mind spending a lot of time detecting without playing, which could take a while and brings a whole other set of issues depending on the room.

I say it sounds a little off and it sounds like someone is gonna get screwed.

Good luck,

Jeff

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Güero that don't understand Spanish going to a barrio pool room with five large.

I want some action, but nothing to do with the game.

noMoreSchon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
. I think if I lowkey gently hurt his feelings ( I’m really good at that ) and take some twenties I might clock him. My plan is to play 20 a game half my speed and see what happens.[/QUOTE said:
And he is losing 20s, playing a ball under you still, seeding the big bet. I lose $50-100

all day to get me the $1000-$5000...if I knew the fish. Which he does. If you don't know

who the sucker is...it is you.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this thread is a farce

the whole thing is so unbelievable

someone is trying to make the rest of us think he is a sucker

whether it is the poster
the guy he kinda trust,or later describes as a friend
or
the mysterious stranger who will play anybody in the world a game for $10,000

I think I recognize that unusual aroma emanating from the kitchen as
some form of rodent

only on AZ would a thread like this be discussed

with any degree of seriousness

Let's think it over,now we are going to play for $19,000 but not shpow any money because we
are afrayd of getting heisted even though we will be taking a small army for protection,but the real fear is that some guy playing for $10,000 might not have the same affinity to the Marquis de Queensburu rules

Oh heaven forbid,rumor is this would be rogue might have misplaced the cube of chalk or dropped it
Oh my aunt Harriot would shriek at her favorite nephew losing his concentration during competition.

She might pull the roller pen and bust his cranium.

Honestly all of you guys better stick to playing at the YMCA under strict supervision and sing cum ba yah both fefore and after saying the pledge of allegiance because you would not last in any pool room in the world

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
this thread is a farce

the whole thing is so unbelievable

someone is trying to make the rest of us think he is a sucker

whether it is the poster
the guy he kinda trust,or later describes as a friend
or
the mysterious stranger who will play anybody in the world a game for $10,000

I think I recognize that unusual aroma emanating from the kitchen as
some form of rodent

only on AZ would a thread like this be discussed

with any degree of seriousness

Let's think it over,now we are going to play for $19,000 but not shpow any money because we
are afrayd of getting heisted even though we will be taking a small army for protection,but the real fear is that some guy playing for $10,000 might not have the same affinity to the Marquis de Queensburu rules

Oh heaven forbid,rumor is this would be rogue might have misplaced the cube of chalk or dropped it
Oh my aunt Harriot would shriek at her favorite nephew losing his concentration during competition.

She might pull the roller pen and bust his cranium.

Honestly all of you guys better stick to playing at the YMCA under strict supervision and sing cum ba yah both fefore and after saying the pledge of allegiance because you would not last in any pool room in the world

Yep, none of us have lasted for 10, 20, 30 years. You are God!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Gonna try to keep this short. A nice guy I kinda trust who is an okay player but not a strong player ( I’m guessing he’s never ran a 3 pack in his life but I’ve seen him run 15 balls in rotation on a 9’. Anyway he calls me and tells me about a guy looking for action. This unknown guy will play last pocket 8ball on a barbox but for at least 5k. He said there’s no limit how much he’ll play for. Somehow there’s no video of this guy shooting anywhere online and there’s no last name. So I ask this pal about that guy and he says he’s unbelievable. Really really strong player. Whatever that means. ( he barey speaks English so couldnt ask specifics ). So my question if I talk him into some cheap sets is there a way I’ll figure out his speed? Say I appear out of nowhere and ask for a 10 dollar game or 50 dollar race to 3. How much is it gonna cost to figure out his speed? I dont want to lose 500 to win 5000. Nobody I know have heard of this guy and nobody wants to drive for 2 hours to check him out. I’m thinking about playing him or backing a stronger friend of mine ( 725 fargo ). What’s the best way to do this? A few buds told me go play him for 50 bucks and come back and tell me about it or shoot it on hidden video. The one thing I can tell for sure is that it’s real and he’s not a gang banger but an actual pool player looking for action.

Very interesting story. After reading this entire thread I can only say one thing to you - NEVER play another man's game! The reference on here to what Mika said is correct. There is no way this can end good for you!

I've been propositioned a few times to make a big score and it never quite worked out for me. One time I was lucky to get out with the money I had in my pocket. I had to use the restroom ploy to make my escape. ;)

I always did a lot better finding my own games. Good luck to you in your quest for the pot of gold.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who is this mustard guy

this post is 100% baloney

think about it

If my friend Jackpot came over and said
"there is a guy at the pool room that wants to play me for $5000
I have the nuts and I need your $5000'

What do you think i would say

a
You think we could start at $10 to clock his speed
b
Heres the money,bring me my half when it's over

And if Jack were to say
"i am afraid he might drop some chalk on the table and shark me

what do you think i would say

a
oh,yes that would change everything,this cpould get seious
or
B

You had me going,I thought you were serious

Now ,if it went like this
and he said

I am afraid to post or flash the cash,I heard he had some unsavory friends"

What do you think I would say

a

in that case don't show him the money,make him post but have him take your word for it"

or B

"So what's new?'
But if you feel uncomfortable do you want me to go with you?"

now if you responded with anything but B,please get some money and lets meet for
some pool,bring $5000 or more

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
who is this mustard guy

this post is 100% baloney

think about it

If my friend Jackpot came over and said
"there is a guy at the pool room that wants to play me for $5000
I have the nuts and I need your $5000'

What do you think i would say

a
You think we could start at $10 to clock his speed
b
Heres the money,bring me my half when it's over

And if Jack were to say
"i am afraid he might drop some chalk on the table and shark me

what do you think i would say

a
oh,yes that would change everything,this cpould get seious
or
B

You had me going,I thought you were serious

Now ,if it went like this
and he said

I am afraid to post or flash the cash,I heard he had some unsavory friends"

What do you think I would say

a

in that case don't show him the money,make him post but have him take your word for it"

or B

"So what's new?'
But if you feel uncomfortable do you want me to go with you?"

now if you responded with anything but B,please get some money and lets meet for
some pool,bring $5000 or more

Lol. Though the story didn’t really go like that.

It’s more like you don’t know jackpot so well but kinda trust him and he doesn’t speaka much of your language, but he conveys to you that he knows a guy who wants to play for 5K and (I’m assuming here) he’s telling you that you have a chance of winning against this guy.

A: play
B: don’t play
C: get a big head and think you can take on jazzyjeff87 and invite him to your domicile to mix it up 1p style.