The end of pool on TV?

DappleHillJim

Registered
We all know that you never see any cue sports on TV in the US. But the fact that pool will NOT be shown on the major networks was driven home a week or so ago: for two consecutive nights the collegiate cornhole...yes corn-effing-hole...was on ESPN.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
We all know that you never see any cue sports on TV in the US. But the fact that pool will NOT be shown on the major networks was driven home a week or so ago: for two consecutive nights the collegiate cornhole...yes corn-effing-hole...was on ESPN.

Im 56. When I was in my teens and twenties Pool was on the TV on Saturday afternoon
and Sunday right regular. There is a lot of reasons it was and now isn't but trust me, if Pool were
packaged as a Product Moving enterprise, it would be again.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Perhaps this is a good sign, as pool is potentially a much better entertainment option for spectators than is c/h'ing. If c/h'ing sells, imagine the ease of pool selling, if handled better.

Pool needs better marketing, that's all. It is said that kids are tired of the net already and are looking for more real activities and things. Pool needs to be ready as this happens.

Jeff Livingston

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member

Well, Cornhole is closer to being a sport that a frikkin' Hot Dog Eating Contest....which has also run on ESPN before.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pool is boring as hell to watch for the average sports "junkie". The only people that appreciate watching good pool being played are the serious pool players. Most recreational/just for fun pool players don't even know who Shane Van Boening is....or Efren Reyes is for that matter.

Maniac

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Well, Cornhole is closer to being a sport that a frikkin' Hot Dog Eating Contest....which has also run on ESPN before.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pool is boring as hell to watch for the average sports "junkie". The only people that appreciate watching good pool being played are the serious pool players. Most recreational/just for fun pool players don't even know who Shane Van Boening is....or Efren Reyes is for that matter.

Maniac

Pool is definitely a fringe Sport. We need to find what this fringe has to offer and sell it.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Pool is definitely a fringe Sport. We need to find what this fringe has to offer and sell it.

I agree, but the fact remains that they have come up with all sorts of new/different formats to make pool more interesting and they have all failed. Honestly, I don't know what else can be done.

I used to watch it and now miss televised pool (but then, I consider myself to be a serious pool player....not a good pool player, but serious nonetheless). Thank goodness for YouTube so I can at least get me a billiard fix every once in a while.

Maniac

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The demographic is real shitty-Just take a look at the people in the VIP seats at the DCC-average age at least 65

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
This was the dilemma Cadillac marketing had back in the 80's. Their customer base was aging out. More likely than not, typical new car buyer was going to pick this as their last vehicle compared to a Honda, like first new vehicle. They had to re-invent themselves, but first had to stop offering cars that the public didn't want.

Pool is also in the same situation with broadcast and cable TV. I remember when ESPN had pool on daily, then it moved to 3 AM in the morning because lack of viewers.

For those who complain about streams, the reason why some major events are being streamed is because viewership (1-2K) is not strong enough for cable and broadcasters to jump on it. Reality TV show The Hustlers drew 250K and it was dropped.

The demographic is real shitty-Just take a look at the people in the VIP seats at the DCC-average age at least 65

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool can get on TV easily. The problem is no one seems to want to take the helm and lead the way. Everyone is just happy there are tours and leagues all over with the occasional big tournament.

KAP1976

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Until professional pool has a governing body like golf has with the PGA Tour or tennis has with the USTA this is what it's gonna' be. These organizations set rules and regulations for the sport as well as market the events they organize and promote. The longer pool chooses to be a disorganized mess there won't be any television.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Maniac

Or the Spelling Bee, that they cover every year.

(it's cool that the spelling bee gets coverage, so far as the kids are concerned. But on a sports network?)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am watching pool on tv right now. The World Cup of Pool from China...

I also found it on Eleven Sports network. It came on at 10:30 PM EST time live until 2:30 AM and then again from 4 AM until 8 AM, showing three matches each time.

MJB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Short answer...YES

This isn't the first thread started by people getting worked up that cornhole is on ESPN and pool isn't.

ESPN has also had E-league, Madden, paintball, competitive eating, bowling trick shots (in case regular bowling just doesn't do it for you), dog agility, and probably a dozen other one-off events.

Look at all of the threads on here talking about "what's wrong with pro-pool" and "why doesn't pro-pool have more sponsors." It's obvious that there are a lot of problems with pool at the pro level. Hell, we can't even define was a "pro player" is! Until the sport can be cleaned up internally (meaning an organized professional level), there's no use discussing why pool isn't on TV.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also found it on Eleven Sports network. It came on at 10:30 PM EST time live until 2:30 AM and then again from 4 AM until 8 AM, showing three matches each time.

:smile: yes, plenty of pool on TV. And on premium sports networks in some countries.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Pool can get on TV easily. The problem is no one seems to want to take the helm and lead the way. Everyone is just happy there are tours and leagues all over with the occasional big tournament.

Exactly, the Pool Playing Demographic changed. No matter how it did, its different.
The person who taps into that demographic has something, ready made customers.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I see a lot of reference to pool as a sport.
I call it a game.

I do to. How can pool be called a sport when an overweight, out-of-shape, beer-guzzling, cigar smoking man can (and has) been successful at it? :wink:

Maniac