Ordered a Ball Marker

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the link. I've just used a piece of chalk with one of the edges as the reference. This looks much more professional and might be more accurate. I might have to get one myself.

JC

Coos Cues
Thanks for the link. I've just used a piece of chalk with one of the edges as the reference. This looks much more professional and might be more accurate. I might have to get one myself.

If you use two pieces of chalk 90 degrees from each other it's quite accurate.

JC

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A ball marker should be able to provide several functions. Obviously it should let you hold a ball's position while cleaning it.

It should also allow you to measure whether a ball can be spotted. For this, the snooker markers are half a ball diameter in width in one direction. That's the wrong width for a pool ball.

It should help you to mark a ball's position and put a ball back in that position. Some of the snooker markers have a thin layer that is mostly under the ball with a small semi-circle cut out where the ball sits. It is fairly easy to mark the center of that small semi-circle after removing the ball. This function also allows you to spot a ball exactly on its spot when that's important and to see whether the center of the ball is to one side of a a line

It should allow you to see whether the edge of the ball is over a line. This is done by standing the marker on its edge and bringing the end up to the ball.

If you aren't interested in any of the secondary functions, two pieces of chalk work nicely. If you're going to the trouble of getting a ball marker, it may as well be a good one.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This one's a much better price ($4.73) and also includes with free shipping:

http://www.suntekstore.com/goods-13002254-Crystal+Position+Marker+for+Snooker+Pool+Ball.html

Mine arrived from China less than a week after ordering, and it's not only beautiful, flawlessly clear acrylic, but it's dead-on accurate with regard to an extremely perfect fit against the standard 2 1/4 cue ball. Not a whisker of a gap.

Arnaldo
Ball position marker.JPG

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the one Arnaldo posted and love it. I use it at home all the time for the wwyd threads. If I see a situation I want to mark to practice, I slide this under the balls, and then put a doughnut in the center of the half circle of the clear plastic. It might seem like overkill, but it’s way, way, way, easier to mark the balls this way then simply picking them up and sticking a doughnut underneath.

MikeF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

http://www.suntekstore.com/goods-13002254-Crystal+Position+Marker+for+Snooker+Pool+Ball.html

Mine arrived from China less than a week after ordering, and it's not only beautiful, flawlessly clear acrylic, but it's dead-on accurate with regard to an extremely perfect fit against the standard 2 1/4 cue ball. Not a whisker of a gap.

Arnaldo
View attachment 516071

Thanks for the link. I just went ahead and bought one.

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the one Arnaldo posted and love it. I use it at home all the time for the wwyd threads. If I see a situation I want to mark to practice, I slide this under the balls, and then put a doughnut in the center of the half circle of the clear plastic. It might seem like overkill, but it’s way, way, way, easier to mark the balls this way then simply picking them up and sticking a doughnut underneath.

I can't use doughnuts... I just end up eating them.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Best ball marker I know of is from Gibbi Tkatch. It’s small butt has weight. There’s an indent where you can use a finger to hold it down while you place or remove the ball.

It’s what you see being used at CSI events.

Freddie

Attachments

• B4F06E8A-06FD-4453-99AD-EB7AF277D3B5.jpg
    B4F06E8A-06FD-4453-99AD-EB7AF277D3B5.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

mnb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best ball marker I know of is from Gibbi Tkatch. It’s small butt has weight. There’s an indent where you can use a finger to hold it down while you place or remove the ball.

Freddie
where to purchase this?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
where to purchase this?

I contacted Gibbi directly. He works the Tiger booth at many shows, and he’ll be a ref at the US Open 9-ball next month. You can find him on The Book of Faces.

Freddie <~~~ that’s old school

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Arnaldo
View attachment 516071
Is the width correct for measuring spot clearance?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the width correct for measuring spot clearance?

Bob, I just measured mine with inch dial calipers. None of the dimensions are are close to any inch fraction. Then I switched to my metric dial calipers. The part was designed in mm. The dimensions are 80 mm x 40 mm x 12 mm. All 3 dims are pretty much on the nose (plus 0/minus .05 to .10 mm).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob, I just measured mine with inch dial calipers. None of the dimensions are are close to any inch fraction. Then I switched to my metric dial calipers. The part was designed in mm. The dimensions are 80 mm x 40 mm x 12 mm. All 3 dims are pretty much on the nose (plus 0/minus .05 to .10 mm).
It would be better if one of the dimensions was 57.15/2 = 28.58 mm. The ball marker the snooker refs use has a half-ball width.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

Freddie

I have a several ball markers and that's been my favorite for years. It's compact and easy to carry in your pocket and is easy to use as well. I think he charges $20 for one.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow, I never saw until this video all of the uses. Bob, is this what you meant? And for American Pool, is the only use-case: ball cleaning (not ball marking, thus you can leave the tool on the table), and measuring if a ball fits on the spot?

I checked my clear one from ebay. It appears to me to be machined and polished, rather than injection molded. If there is a lot of interest for a specific design, I can draw one up, and have them CNC machined. I'd guesstimate the cost would be in the $20 range per. (this is my day job).

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, I never saw until this video all of the uses. Bob, is this what you meant? And for American Pool, is the only use-case: ball cleaning (not ball marking, thus you can leave the tool on the table), and measuring if a ball fits on the spot?

I checked my clear one from ebay. It appears to me to be machined and polished, rather than injection molded. If there is a lot of interest for a specific design, I can draw one up, and have them CNC machined. I'd guesstimate the cost would be in the $20 range per. (this is my day job).
As I mentioned before, there are times when you want to mark the position of the ball. Also, sometimes people want the ball placed exactly on a spot. In that case the use is the second half of returning a ball to its previous spot.

Here is the marker I designed. The filler square when placed in the marker after the ball is removed will have its free corner at the exact spot the ball was on. In the reverse operation, if you place the filler square with a corner at the spot and the marker against the filler, when you remove the filler the ball can be placed exactly on the spot.

BallMarker.png

The marker must be dimensioned to the balls in play. I have had marker sets made for pool, carom and snooker. The legs are a ball radius long. I think brass is the best material for its weight. Aluminum is OK, but it is more apt to move unless you are careful.

The original prototype was made from a brass sheet and the arms of the ell had a square cross section. You can make the marker from 0.25-inch-thick angle stock but then the legs don't have a square cross section.