American Straight Pool Championship, 2019

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 2 starts with Thorsten vs LeeVan Corteza on the streaming table. SO oddball question, have any americans been put in front of the camera yet?

Seth C.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on having watched parts of three matches, including Appleton’s loss in his opener, Hohmann’s loss in his opener, and most notably, Appleton’s win today against Orcollo, I can only conclude that Peter Burrows must have specified much tighter pockets this year. If you recall, last year the tournament was held at Carom Cafe in NYC, where there were a lot of high runs, and many subsequent comments about the tables being easy. Well, this year’s matches that I’ve watched - the Appleton/Orcollo match in particular - looked at times like matches in a local A league, with the table being turned over repeatedly. After Appleton had been given the table for about the third time in what must have been no more than 15 minutes, only to give it back every time, I was convinced he’d never see it again. Yet he got it back one more time, and finally reached the goal line. Kind of fun to watch them sweat, to be honest.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Based on having watched parts of three matches, including Appleton’s loss in his opener, Hohmann’s loss in his opener, and most notably, Appleton’s win today against Orcollo, I can only conclude that Peter Burrows must have specified much tighter pockets this year. If you recall, last year the tournament was held at Carom Cafe in NYC, where there were a lot of high runs, and many subsequent comments about the tables being easy. Well, this year’s matches that I’ve watched - the Appleton/Orcollo match in particular - looked at times like matches in a local A league, with the table being turned over repeatedly. After Appleton had been given the table for about the third time in what must have been no more than 15 minutes, only to give it back every time, I was convinced he’d never see it again. Yet he got it back one more time, and finally reached the goal line. Kind of fun to watch them sweat, to be honest.

Yeah, I hear ya.

These tables are set up very much like the Diamond tables I regularly play on and they are a be-atch. I run a 50 and feel like popping champagne.

It does a soul good to see these guys suffer similarly :)

Lou Figueroa

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I hear ya.

These tables are set up very much like the Diamond tables I regularly play on and they are a be-atch. I run a 50 and feel like popping champagne.

It does a soul good to see these guys suffer similarly :)

Lou Figueroa
Since moving down here to Fl. I have played some 14.1 at Diamonds in Cape Coral- they have old red label Diamonds - playing 14.1 on those tables was really a waste of time, the game simply is not designed for such tables, the game is designed to reward with high runs due to proper pattern play and spot position play that requires, at times, cheating the pockets. also, there are usually a fair amount of combinations or kiss shots needed, that cannot be accurately stroked for center pocket hits with 100% consistency. I much prefer a Gold Crown with 4 3/4 to 4 7/8 corner pockets for the game of 14.1- I do believe those pockets bring out the very best in the game. Watching 14.1 on very tight pockets is like watching a modern major league baseball game- 4 hours instead of 2.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blame the 4 hour baseball game on the fact there are too many commercials and the sabermetrician geeks.

As for the matches so far, yeah, you can clearly tell the tighter tables are making a huge difference this year.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe there haven't been many high runs on the stream but there have been a good amount of high runs overall. Don't know exactly how many 100+ runs exactly but at least 3 of 125 and out, more than double that of 100+ and many more of 80-100.
Yeah the Diamonds slow us mere mortals down but don't bother the top guys that much.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
For the contenders, the round robin is largely the "practice" stage of this event, as nearly all of them wlll qualify for the main knockout stage of the event. We won't know who's who in the world of straight pool until the big guns start to match up in winner take all situations,. That's what will separate the men from the boys.

I'm not sure we've seen a tougher field than this in America in about ten years, as most of the top Europeans stopped coming to the Dragon event when it lost its WPA sanctioning. Props to Peter Burrows on putting on such a great show.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe there haven't been many high runs on the stream but there have been a good amount of high runs overall. Don't know exactly how many 100+ runs exactly but at least 3 of 125 and out, more than double that of 100+ and many more of 80-100.
Yeah the Diamonds slow us mere mortals down but don't bother the top guys that much.

who has ran 125 and out? I'm curious because the ticker at the bottom all day showed Thorsten over leevan.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
who has ran 125 and out? I'm curious because the ticker at the bottom all day showed Thorsten over leevan.

Schmidt, Feijen and one other European. Not sure but I think it was Lechner.
Schmidt ran 266 practicing and Alex ran something over 160 when he kept shooting after finishing off Eberle.
Stu hit the nail on the head, the real games start Friday though I'd disagree about the strength of the field. I think each of the previous 3 years was a little stronger. But that's probably splitting hairs.
Peter said he had hoped for more players but some backed out and some were at a tournament in China and couldn't get here in time.
He said next year he wants to schedule after the International 9ball and thinks he'll get a bigger and better turnout, possibly 64.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
:-/

Removed - Removed - this was a lie from brady that got removed qmesters is not a good venue for me to compete in. Again too mny bad memories - but I guess archerr' or rodnee helped peter find his new venue for 14.1. if u lie to the viewers on this forum (and have con -nections) they will simply help remove the post for ya? Again brady should offer the players he has stiffed in the past compensation for any of his future events. I always found it interesting how some find it so easy to just simply lie instead of man up and tell the truth - enter q mesters sports bar and little weasel brady.

A quote from little weasel brady 'If Pool Players stood by promoters and attempted to help promote the sport, Pool would go further. Many of the players do and are understanding. Airing dirty laundry never helped anything in fact hurts a sport already bruised'. (what if the dirty laundry is $ rightfully owed to the player from 1 of yer tournaments - and the player had to wait over ten yrs to get compenstated little brady)? This forum was my last option to bring resolve - kinda sad that it had to take so long for him to call me and try to mend what was impossible to rebuild. What they deleted was brady saying he had mailed me two $ orders for 1,000.00 a piece ($ orders do not come in thousand dollar increments ha ha). As I say I can laugh about him now but back then it was truly disheartening to know he was driving around in a new corvette and I was $3,100.00 in the hole from one of his tournaments. Spent too much negative energy on him to compete in his inherited pool room/sports bar.

I guess as scumdt's pal mark kendell (great white) would say - Once bitten twice shy. I don't really feel like taking a chance on waiting another twelve yrs to simply get paid from what was supposed to be a pro sanctioned event?.But i hope everyone involved does get paid, as they are putting up there entry fee as I did, so again too many bad memories. If it would have been handled differently (resolved sooner) than I would not still not harbor bitter feelings toward brady - it was not even. I should have my entry fee covered in any of his future events for 12yrs - am I wrong? Anyone who attends there soiree should know - not ALL the best are there. I am one of the best Straight Pool players on any soil - or any planet for that matter. Better days an hopefully more honest people involved in any possible future for our great game of 14.1.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Schmidt, Feijen and one other European. Not sure but I think it was Lechner.
Schmidt ran 266 practicing and Alex ran something over 160 when he kept shooting after finishing off Eberle.
Stu hit the nail on the head, the real games start Friday though I'd disagree about the strength of the field. I think each of the previous 3 years was a little stronger. But that's probably splitting hairs.
Peter said he had hoped for more players but some backed out and some were at a tournament in China and couldn't get here in time.
He said next year he wants to schedule after the International 9ball and thinks he'll get a bigger and better turnout, possibly 64.

Ya yer right more stupid people will show up for 9 ball than the classic game of Straight Pool, there are more dummies than classy honest pool players for sure.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Come to MO

The winner of their little soiree should travel to MO and try me some on the 5x10 (real pool) - they will have no trouble getting paid -if they can win. :)

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
...I can only conclude that Peter Burrows must have specified much tighter pockets this year. ....
I suspect that Peter Burrows has never asked any host room to adjust the size of the pockets, and that the Diamonds in Q-Masters tournament room were not modified for this event but are the same pockets that they have had since they were originally installed.

My feeling is that the pockets are the right difficulty for this level of competition.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect that Peter Burrows has never asked any host room to adjust the size of the pockets, and that the Diamonds in Q-Masters tournament room were not modified for this event but are the same pockets that they have had since they were originally installed.

My feeling is that the pockets are the right difficulty for this level of competition.

Yes, I would agree with you. I am impressed by high runs on these Diamonds. Myself, I don't have much experience on Diamonds, my home table up North was a GC with 4 3/4 inch corners. Recently retired from my business career, and being here in Fl without a home table now- I am now only playing about 5 hours a week- running 30s consistently on an Olhausen 4 3/4 - but that is not good enough to get competitive for this group. I am hoping this year to put the time in and get up to running 40s or so very consistently on Diamond 4 1/2s - ; if i get there, I will enter this next year. I feel that if one can run 40s or so consistently, with a real strong 14.1 safety game - you can compete anywhere as long as you are leaving the table to your opponent on safeties and not on missed shots- especially at this level. Irving Crane won many games this way without high runs.

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What a horrible mistake by Wilkie. But that's what you get from players who do not know how to keep a safety battle going and just want to start a run right?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya yer right more stupid people will show up for 9 ball than the classic game of Straight Pool, there are more dummies than classy honest pool players for sure.

This has absolutely nothing to do with my post.
Secondly, nobody appreciates you dissing Peter Burrows. Look up classy in the dictionary and his picture will be there. This isn't the place to bring up your feud with John or your ancient history issues with Barry.
Thirdly, there's 6 or 8 guys here who wouldn't have much trouble with you on any table.