League Operator bolts

tatcat2000

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can form your own opinion, but these are the facts and unless indicated they are not contested as far as I know. I am not posting this to judge - except on one point. I am mostly posting to alert anyone considering doing business with the perp. Not alleged perp...perp.

About 21 weeks into a 32-week in-house BCAPL Vegas trip league in OKC area, LO Ted Massey skipped town with all of the league's $$$, ~$7000. Also reported to have emptied the till from two bars he managed. Also reported to have left a new wife, 5 month old baby and 3 other dependents, leaving only a short note and $100. Last two items reported to me by reliable sources close to the incident.

Again, form your own judgements on the domestic situation. But I'm passing judgment on someone who screws a bar owner and 96 poll players out of thousands of $$$.

Fortunately, the owner can afford to make good on Vegas entry fees earned and a little help with travel. But the remainder of the payback for the non-nationals players is gone.

It's mostly a tight league of loyal players, and about 90% + are sticking by the owner to finish out the session and start anew next session. From what I understand criminal charges are being considered but remaining family members involvement in league may complicate that situation. Unfortunately a civil remedy is almost certainly pissing in the wind. Still being considered though.

Shame on us as league members for falling asleep at the switch concerning BCAPL dues, which were absconded with and were never paid to Henderson. We are still waiting to hear from BCAPL to see if that situation can be rectified so the innocent duped can still play at nationals.

Personal recommendation...stay away from Ted Massey. Reported to currently be in CO.

If he chooses to somehow rectify the situation, I will report back. Not holding my breath.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had the same thing happen here with a bcapl league operator bout 10-12 years ago. Nothing ever came of it. The league folded and ever one went to apa .

Hate to hear of stories like this.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Why aren't these LO's bonded if they hold that much money? As far the perp...as you call him, he needs some old school schooling. Are there any GOOD LO's? Johnnyt

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why aren't these LO's bonded if they hold that much money? As far the perp...as you call him, he needs some old school schooling. Are there any GOOD LO's? Johnnyt

I have only dealt with 3 lo's....that belong to national organizations. The aforementioned bcapl lo in my previous post and one each in apa and napa. Both of those have dine fantastic jobs in my opinion. I have also dealt when th 2 local money league lo's that have done great jobs also..

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
take it to the district attorney, or prosecutor for your area. insist on charges being filed.
they generally have to for theft and grand larceny. relatives cannot stand in the way. you have a lot of loud mouths with you to help make phone calls.

that is the best way to catch him and have a chance to get money back. time is against you.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Based on the above information, to not file charges on this guy would be a mistake. I suspect enough is known about him (name & address, vehicle, license number etc.) to provide police with the means to locate him. They can then issue a warrant for his arrest. Eventually he would have to return to OKC and face the music. Taking this into your own hands is not the best course of action here, when an obvious crime (grand larceny) has taken place.

I am aware of one other well known case where a LO in the Northwest took off with the league money and reappeared in Arizona several weeks later. No one did anything except talk about it and condemn the thief when he should have been held accountable. A couple of years later, I actually played partners Bank Pool against this same guy and his well heeled partner (who was staking the game) against me and Ronnie Wiseman, 200 a game. We won four games straight, so I kept my mouth shut until it was over. Ronnie had no idea until I told him later. What's weird is that this was at the BCA Nationals in Vegas and some of those same players from that league were there. It was as if they just swept it under the rug and said forget about it.

Last edited:

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ted Massey skipped town with all of the league's $$$, ~$7000.
Also reported to have emptied the till from two bars he managed.

From what I understand criminal charges are being considered but remaining family members involvement in league may complicate that situation.

Unfortunately a civil remedy is almost certainly pissing in the wind.

As everyone is saying, definitely file criminal changes,what his other family members think about that is totally irrelevant

As for a civil case, probably too little money involved to attract an attorney. Could be a small claims case, but "collecting" a judgment from this guy will be very difficult.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A girl i worked with came into work one day and said she had just taken $20k in cash out of the bowling league money and was keeping it at home overnight and she sure hoped no one "would break in and steal that money".

Guess what? She came in the next day and announced it all had been stolen. This girl was dumb as shit but you know what? She stood up for hours of questioning and never broke down. Everyone knew she stole it but nothing was ever done. She was a cop groupie and had already pleased at least half the force which may have been a factor.

I thought for sure she would have broken down under questioning as i was questioned by the same cops in an unrelated matter and almost confessed even though i hadn't done a thing. I give her credit for that.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Here's my favorite memory of long gone tourneys. Steve Carter, a decent shortstop at the time, put together a tournament and collected all the entry fees, which amounted to several thousand dollars. He got drunk the night before the event, went down to the beach the next morning and started throwing the money in the air until it was all gone. Basically he totally flipped out, took off afterwards and was never heard from again.

One more, in a tourney held in Birmingham, AL. (the James Gaston Memorial), the promoter refused to pay the players when it ended, saying he had lost money on the endeavor. Preacher Red had finished third and had $1,500 coming so he went to this guy's office, pulled out his .45 and demanded immediate payment. He was the only player who got paid!

I don't want to tell you the whole story about the Burlington, Iowa tourney in 1976. Suffice to say the promoter had bought plane tickets to Las Vegas for the day after the tournament ended and had no intention of paying anyone. Myself and a couple of others got wind of his plan and we called the police. He was corralled at the bank as he was withdrawing all the tourney prize money and arrested. The players got paid that time.

jburkm002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We had a LO that stopped paying out at the end of the session. Several sessions actually. Anyways they ended up letting someone else run the league. Funny part there was animosity from his supporters about how it all went down. Nice guy but come on he stole money. League didn't back the money owed everyone.