Two Collections Come Together

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like many others here, I got started playing pool because of my dad. He was an accomplished player, with a high run over 100 in straight pool. He played in the late 60's through the 1990s, primarily in Southern Illinois and the Chicago area. As such, he had the opportunity to brush shoulders with some of the greats, including seeing Willie Mosconi shoot several exhibitions, and playing bank pool vs. Minnesota Fats in Southern Illinois.

More importantly, he was a wonderful teacher and a great friend to all he had the chance to meet.

Sadly, Dad passed last December, and I inherited his cues. I thought I would take this opportunity to share them, and to maybe ramble on a bit about where they came from in the process.

T40kZ3T.jpg

On the far left is my first "real" cue, an E-Series McDermott. I bought this new off the rack at Chris's Billiards in Chicago, probably right around 1990. On this trip, I remember watching two very elderly gentlemen shoot 3 cushion on a nearby table. One of them ran 7 despite barely being able to walk. Dad and I took several trips to Chris's together, and even had the opportunity to see Waterdog shoot there, he was competing in an amateur 9 ball tournament. Apparently some of the other competitors were not pleased he was allowed to enter.

Next up is an estate sale Jerico sneaky pete, because everyone needs a bar banger.

Cue #3 is what I believe to be an old Brunswick Master Stroke conversion from an unknown maker. Dad won this in a game in the early 60's, and said it was even old then. It is an absolute club, made to move a cueball around on unworsted cloth, but it can be fun to play.

#4 is a Skip Weston plain jane shooter I acquired from a good friend. It has a super stiff hit, and nice classic lines.

Skipping ahead to the end is my dad's Burton Spain, purchased new from Burt in the late 70's. Dad found Burt by looking in the Chicago phonebook for "Pool Cues." He had no idea at the time of his reputation or where he would take cuemaking in the future. It has Burton's signature joint with the pin in the shaft, in this case going into a delrin core sleeved in brass.

Burt and dad became friends, and I remember at least once him coming out to my house to shoot, as he didn't have a personal table.

Dad brought this cue to a large pool tournament in Chicago at what I believe was the 1997 WPA 9-Ball tournament, as the event had many vendors in attendance. It was there that he learned that Burton had passed only a few years prior. Several vendors told him he should show his cue to Joel Hercek, who had taken over his business, as well as Bill Schick, who was close friends with Burton. Dad greatly appreciated the opportunity to share his cue and experiences with both makers, despite the sadness he felt from learning about Burton.

Shortly thereafter, dad called Joel unbeknownst to me, and had my name put on his list, as a planned college graduation present. Waiting four years seemed ridiculous to him at the time, but he thought it would be a nice complement to his own cue and keeping that lineage alive.

The resulting cue is #6, which I received from Joel in August 2001. It's my regular player to this day, and I hope to pass it along to children of my own some day.

Last but not least is cue #5, a Bill Schick player he bought at the Derby City Classic 2015, the last year we got to attend the event together. Dad had mentioned on several occasions that he wanted one of Bill's cues after meeting him, probably due to the obvious emotion Bill had showed when he saw Burton's cue. It was clear that Bill both respected and missed Burton, and this made an impact on dad.

I jokingly made a comment to dad at the Derby, suggesting he should buy a cue I pointed to in a dealer's booth. His ears perked up when I told him who made it, and he ended up buying the cue without ever hitting a ball with it. I was a bit incredulous at the time, but he waved away my concerns with a comment that I'll probably remember forever. He said "Don't worry about it, and besides, I've got more money than time."

Dad had been in poor health even then, suffering from complications from heart disease and constant back pain that limited his ability to play for more than short periods at a time. Despite all that, he still loved the game, and sharing that love with others.

Dad passed suddenly last December. I'm proud to say we got to shoot together right up until his passing. He will be loved and missed for as long as he is remembered. Rest in Peace, Dad.

IKtOr28.jpg

VN67SeR.jpg

Last edited:

ga9ball

South West Buyer!
Silver Member
Nice story to add to some cool cues!
Appreciate you sharing about your Dad, brought back fond memories of my Dad as well.
Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much for sharing the story and the pics.

You certainly have some treasures there. :smile:

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool cues are more than functional tools of the game or even gorgoeous enough to be considered art.

A cue can also be a memento and as such, it not only retains but rekindles memories about its owner.

When the cue's owner is someone near and dear to you, it also becomes a very treasured artifact.

Thanks for a great story and reminder that I should try completing my collection before it's too late.

Matt B.

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree

Pool cues are more than functional tools of the game or even gorgoeous enough to be considered art.

A cue can also be a memento and as such, it not only retains but rekindles memories about its owner.

When the cue's owner is someone near and dear to you, it also becomes a very treasured artifact.

Thanks for a great story and reminder that I should try completing my collection before it's too late.

Matt B.
Very well said. I keep reading threads every so often about how dumb it is to pay more then x amount for a cue , or cues do not elevate your game. I do not bother to comment because they will never understand what you just wrote.
I have 7 cues 5 are Black Boars and they all have special memories attached to them, they are much much more then just good playing cues.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty rare nowadays to have a Burton Spain and a Joel Hercek in the same collection.
And as an ardent admirer of Joel's workmanship, I also have tremendous regard for Burton.
I think it would be a kick in the pants to have a collection that included one of each....Congrats.

Matt B.

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's pretty rare nowadays to have a Burton Spain and a Joel Hercek in the same collection.
And as an ardent admirer of Joel's workmanship, I also have tremendous regard for Burton.
I think it would be a kick in the pants to have a collection that included one of each....Congrats.

Matt B.

Thanks, Matt, it certainly is!

G&M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What fantastic memories and stories! It sounds like your father was a great man, and that you enjoyed a wonderful relationship with each other. He was teaching you right up to the end. Given the meaning and importance that each of your cues has for you, I'd say you have the most valuable cue collection I've ever seen on azbilliards.

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What fantastic memories and stories! It sounds like your father was a great man, and that you enjoyed a wonderful relationship with each other. He was teaching you right up to the end. Given the meaning and importance that each of your cues has for you, I'd say you have the most valuable cue collection I've ever seen on azbilliards.

Thank you, I can't say how much this means to me.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Like many others here, I got started playing pool because of my dad. He was an accomplished player, with a high run over 100 in straight pool. He played in the late 60's through the 1990s, primarily in Southern Illinois and the Chicago area. As such, he had the opportunity to brush shoulders with some of the greats, including seeing Willie Mosconi shoot several exhibitions, and playing bank pool vs. Minnesota Fats in Southern Illinois.

More importantly, he was a wonderful teacher and a great friend to all he had the chance to meet.

Sadly, Dad passed last December, and I inherited his cues. I thought I would take this opportunity to share them, and to maybe ramble on a bit about where they came from in the process.

T40kZ3T.jpg

On the far left is my first "real" cue, an E-Series McDermott. I bought this new off the rack at Chris's Billiards in Chicago, probably right around 1990. On this trip, I remember watching two very elderly gentlemen shoot 3 cushion on a nearby table. One of them ran 7 despite barely being able to walk. Dad and I took several trips to Chris's together, and even had the opportunity to see Waterdog shoot there, he was competing in an amateur 9 ball tournament. Apparently some of the other competitors were not pleased he was allowed to enter.

Next up is an estate sale Jerico sneaky pete, because everyone needs a bar banger.

Cue #3 is what I believe to be an old Brunswick Master Stroke conversion from an unknown maker. Dad won this in a game in the early 60's, and said it was even old then. It is an absolute club, made to move a cueball around on unworsted cloth, but it can be fun to play.

#4 is a Skip Weston plain jane shooter I acquired from a good friend. It has a super stiff hit, and nice classic lines.

Skipping ahead to the end is my dad's Burton Spain, purchased new from Burt in the late 70's. Dad found Burt by looking in the Chicago phonebook for "Pool Cues." He had no idea at the time of his reputation or where he would take cuemaking in the future. It has Burton's signature joint with the pin in the shaft, in this case going into a delrin core sleeved in brass.

Burt and dad became friends, and I remember at least once him coming out to my house to shoot, as he didn't have a personal table.

Dad brought this cue to a large pool tournament in Chicago at what I believe was the 1997 WPA 9-Ball tournament, as the event had many vendors in attendance. It was there that he learned that Burton had passed only a few years prior. Several vendors told him he should show his cue to Joel Hercek, who had taken over his business, as well as Bill Schick, who was close friends with Burton. Dad greatly appreciated the opportunity to share his cue and experiences with both makers, despite the sadness he felt from learning about Burton.

Shortly thereafter, dad called Joel unbeknownst to me, and had my name put on his list, as a planned college graduation present. Waiting four years seemed ridiculous to him at the time, but he thought it would be a nice complement to his own cue and keeping that lineage alive.

The resulting cue is #6, which I received from Joel in August 2001. It's my regular player to this day, and I hope to pass it along to children of my own some day.

Last but not least is cue #5, a Bill Schick player he bought at the Derby City Classic 2015, the last year we got to attend the event together. Dad had mentioned on several occasions that he wanted one of Bill's cues after meeting him, probably due to the obvious emotion Bill had showed when he saw Burton's cue. It was clear that Bill both respected and missed Burton, and this made an impact on dad.

I jokingly made a comment to dad at the Derby, suggesting he should buy a cue I pointed to in a dealer's booth. His ears perked up when I told him who made it, and he ended up buying the cue without ever hitting a ball with it. I was a bit incredulous at the time, but he waved away my concerns with a comment that I'll probably remember forever. He said "Don't worry about it, and besides, I've got more money than time."

Dad had been in poor health even then, suffering from complications from heart disease and constant back pain that limited his ability to play for more than short periods at a time. Despite all that, he still loved the game, and sharing that love with others.

Dad passed suddenly last December. I'm proud to say we got to shoot together right up until his passing. He will be loved and missed for as long as he is remembered. Rest in Peace, Dad.

IKtOr28.jpg

VN67SeR.jpg

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. Thank you for sharing the pics, and the stories. :cool:
Joe P

EtDM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for the kind words.

I've always believed that the colorful characters and stories, both good and bad, are part of what makes this game so fantastic. I'm glad to have had the chance to share even a small slice of this fine game.

Shooter32

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just possibly the best cue story and collection of cues I've seen on here !! Your collection is one of the best because of the great story that goes with it ... sorry for your loss , I still miss my dad every day !!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Thanks for making me drool on my phone lol.

Mine eyes almost popped out my head when I saw the Spain.

Wonderful collection sir. Wonderful indeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk