WWYD - Getting on 2 ball

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget about getting the very hard shape on the 2 and the risk of possibly even hooking yourself. Pocket the 1 and bring the CB just beyond the side pockets past the 6, but short of the 8 - a 2+ foot window. Then you’ll have an easy safety whereby, depending on the angle you’ve left, you should be able to spin the CB with outside at a soft pace, off either side of the 2, and leave the CB and 2 on opposite ends of the table, with 4-5 obstructing balls between - likely leaving no better than a kick shot for your opponent.

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I finally tried it a few times on my middle-aged Simonis 860 (a little sticky).

Holding the spin all the way to the other end rail was tough - I could only get the CB to rebound directly toward the 8 & 2.

I'll try it later on more slippery cloth.

pj
chgo
my results too unless i could brush very close to the 9

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
has everyone that has suggested the topside of the 9 ball actually tried this in the physical world...?

I'm telling ya, it's the harder path. Splitting the 9 / 6 gap is very repeatable and always has resulted on a decent shot on the 2.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
has everyone that has suggested the topside of the 9 ball actually tried this in the physical world...?

I'm telling ya, it's the harder path. Splitting the 9 / 6 gap is very repeatable and always has resulted on a decent shot on the 2.

i tried it in the real world
and i agree 100%

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Forget about getting the very hard shape on the 2 and the risk of possibly even hooking yourself. Pocket the 1 and bring the CB just beyond the side pockets past the 6, but short of the 8 - a 2+ foot window. Then you’ll have an easy safety whereby, depending on the angle you’ve left, you should be able to spin the CB with outside at a soft pace, off either side of the 2, and leave the CB and 2 on opposite ends of the table, with 4-5 obstructing balls between - likely leaving no better than a kick shot for your opponent.
No way...that table is wide open.

If you had to play every game fro there and in the chair, you'd MUCH RATHER have your opponent have to play that safe than try to get out.

The out is on.

jimmyg

Mook! What's a Mook?
Silver Member
Wasn't the initial question "from here, how do I get on the short side of the 2 so I can play it in the up-table corner?"... and not "how would you play this?".

You all do take ya some liberties..dontcha? :smile:

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasn't the initial question "from here, how do I get on the short side of the 2 so I can play it in the up-table corner?"... and not "how would you play this?".

Agreed. My answer is still to go between the 6-9. That is much easier than perfectly matching spin and speed all the way down table. You also have the short rail as a brake.

I will say the shot is easier,as shown in the original screen shot, than how the OP repeatedly tried it. The one ball is originally close enough to the pocket to give a wide range of angles to play the tangent line.

Edit to take me some liberties: in the heat of a match, I almost guarantee I would play for the combo on the 7. Not because I think it’s the right play but it’s the shot and position that I see first.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

In the spirit of taking liberties:

I think I may still play short side of the 2 as the original post inquired. The initial shape from the 1 is honestly pretty easy, and if I don't like the position on the 2 to reach the 3, then the safety is brain dead easy. The safety also allows me to place the 2 up table along with the 3 which then makes the out even simplier.

Sure the combo is there but... meh. Lower precentage than a direct shot, plus if you end up not comfortable on the 2 ball shape for that combo, the safety is harder.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing to keep in mind if you are going to shoot something repeatedly to try and get a result is that it's important to put the ball back exactly. You weren't being very precise with the placement of the OB.
That said, I think your choice of route is correct. Largest margin of error and speed control is reasonable. Laying up somewhere near the second diamond as you originally planned is the best choice.
I wouldn't consider going into and bumping the 2 as that requires more speed and the 8 ball becomes absolutely huge.
Try this--- Set the balls up exactly as they were at 1st then move the CB forward 2 inches and one inch to the right. See if that works out a little better.

Not trying to hijack but this is spot on - the ball has to be in the same spot every time or it's not the same shot. I was working with a buddy on draws the other day and he kept lining up the ball different (1/4" here, 1/4" there, etc) and he couldn't consistently park the ball in the chosen area after the shot so I told him to quit shooting a different shot each time. Not sure he ever figured it out, but he's 74 so I gave him some slack :D

For this shot, I like coming down above the 9B and off the end rail.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And try hitting a bit softer with more outside english and cheat the pocket a bit more.

It seems like you're drawing the ball and I'm not sure that shot needs it - straight left should do. You can hit softer which will widen the angle on the bottom rail and put the CB on the rail further away from the 2.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
The 2-7 combo isn't close to on, and you'd lose the 2.

The 2 will come off the 7 toward the opposite corner. I would play position and speed to make it there. If I had to, I would shoot the 2 into the rail to play the combo. As long as you are fairly straight on the 2, this is manageable.

The 7 is almost a hanger (not quite but almost), but it does depend on the table. A diamond with deep shelfs makes is a little trickier.

Last edited:

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is what I would do too

Not really that difficult if you have your speed and touch working well. You need to have the cue ball come down table between the six and nine balls with a little left spin so that the cue spins off the bottom rail under the two. If you normally can do this and today it's just not working, you're just having an "off" day, if this is new to you, practice until it becomes second nature.

This was what I would be looking to do as well. It requires the least amount of spin on the cue ball to achieve and so you don't have to "juice" it.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would put top english and bring the CB between the 8 and the side pocket, then bank the two 3 rails into the corner where he's standing now. Yep, that's what I'd do!

bbb, would you illustrate that for me please?