Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Samm Diep and I just posted a video acting out the Top 10 Proposition Shots that all pool players should know because they are very impressive and not that difficult to master. Here it is:

Check it out. The shots (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1 - Frozen-ball rail-cut shot - 0:11
1a - Huge cling/skid/kick combo - 1:28
2 - Impossible 9 for the win - 1:58
3 - Triangle of 3-frozen balls - 2:37
4 - Squeeze past frozen ball - 4:01
5 - Knock the quarter off the ball - 4:49
6 - Kick close to a ball - 6:43
7 - Small-gap double-hit avoid - 8:56
8 - Line of 3 frozen balls - 10:26
8a - Really tough challenge shot - 11:52
9 - Frozen-rail escape - 12:22
10 - Elevated draw along cushion - 14:21

Wrap-Up - 15:59
Out-Takes - 16:17

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video. Since I got good feedback on the recent Rollie Williams interview/lesson video, I thought I should do another fun video with more live talking and shooting. The key phrase for the Rollie video "drinking game" was the name "Rollie." For this video, it is "bread sticks." :eek:

Enjoy,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cool. That was fun! Thanks for taking the time!
I'm glad you liked it. You're welcome.

I really enjoyed filming it. And now I know how to make all of these shots (which wasn't the case before we started filming). Except for the really tough one at the 11:52 point. If anybody can make this shot, please post a video. I'll be impressed. I embarrassingly tried that shot for about 1.5 hours straight! The amount of cut, speed, and top spin must be perfect, and the CB needs to hit just close enough to the corner pocket so the point helps redirect the CB to help avoid the double kiss and get a good angle for the kick across the table. I think it is the toughest shot I have ever attempted.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice job. I like the 3 frozen on the short rail. I wonder if it’s possible to make any 1, 2, or 3 balls that someone chooses. It looks like you got part of the way to that point, but a few combinations of balls were left out.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nice job.
Thanks.

I like the 3 frozen on the short rail. I wonder if it’s possible to make any 1, 2, or 3 balls that someone chooses. It looks like you got part of the way to that point, but a few combinations of balls were left out.
That sounds like a fun a doable challenge. I look forward to trying it.

Regards,
Dave

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i really enjoyed these tricky shots

you are certainly a big plus for this forum

thank you for making all of this information available to us

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
i really enjoyed these tricky shots

you are certainly a big plus for this forum

thank you for making all of this information available to us
Im glad you liked them. Thank you for your kind words.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Anybody try the challenge shot yet? Somebody on YouTube just posted a successful attempt. It looks like my angle was a little too steep (with the cue crossing the rail just below the 3rd diamond). His cue was crossing the rail just below the 2nd diamond. Whether the shot goes or not probably depends on ball and cushion conditions. When I get some time, I plan to try it more on my table and others.

If you get it to work, please post a video.

Regards,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
To see how this shot worked I plotted the CB's path with frames from the video.

Looks like he puts a half tip or so of left on the CB, bringing the CB straight across to the second rail. The left spin becomes a touch of right spin on the first rail to throw it into the 9 off the second rail.

Judging by the angle of the CB into the first rail, the 2 ball is hit more full than it would be for a normal bank, caroming off the pocketed ball to straighten it out.

pj
chgo

shot.jpg

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To see how this shot worked I plotted the CB's path with frames from the video.

Looks like he puts a half tip or so of left on the CB, bringing the CB straight across to the second rail. The left spin becomes a touch of right spin on the first rail to throw it into the 9 off the second rail.

Judging by the angle of the CB into the first rail, the 2 ball is hit more full than it would be for a normal bank, caroming off the pocketed ball to straighten it out.

pj
chgo

View attachment 534721
Good summary. I tried this angle and approach during my attempts, and I was getting a double kiss. I will try again tomorrow trying for a fuller hit. I also want to try pocketing the other combinations of the 1-9-3 frozen balls. In the video, I made the 9, 1-3, 9-3, and 1-9-3. The 3 is trivial, but I also want to find a way to pocket the 1 and 1-9. If anybody else gives it a go and has success, please post a video.

Thanks for posting the images,
Dave

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I tried this angle and approach during my attempts, and I was getting a double kiss.
He only missed the kiss by a hair’s breadth. I had to look carefully at the frames to be sure the kiss didn’t give him the angle he needed to make the last ball.

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
tried this angle and approach during my attempts, and I was getting a double kiss. I will try again tomorrow trying for a fuller hit.

He only missed the kiss by a hair’s breadth. I had to look carefully at the frames to be sure the kiss didn’t give him the angle he needed to make the last ball.
Here's the video frame showing the CB/OB contact with the undercut (indicated by the after-contact CB path).

pj
chgo

shot.jpg

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Fun stuff! I have learned to never take a proposition bet in a pool hall. Thanks for the confirmation. But now I know how some are done.