Advice on what to do with these cues

contactgsw

Registered
I'm not a pool player. Our dear friend's brother was apparently though. He passed away earlier this fall. Name was Chris Miller out of Tulsa. Had a house full of stuff, junk and good. I told her I would do some research on his cues and try to get a fair price, I'm not taking any money for this. I'm considering Custom Billiard Cue out of Ohio, they pay wholesale and resell at a mark up. I've looked in the buy/sell forum here, but the details of what buyers want in a cue and how to describe the cue is beyond me. Any advice is appreciated. I am a total neophyte at this, but like to spend time doing the research and am going to try to get her any value these cues have. All the cues seem to be in excellent condition with little play, but I'm not an expert. Also, I know there are hustlers everywhere, so will make my bona fides as clear as possible, I'm a doctor in Little Rock, and don't mind making my identity known privately, and of course will have documented permission of Chris's sister. I'm not in a hurry either, this is my first communication in the process of trying to see what to do with these cues.

National, red circle/red N, in a nice hard case
Lucasi 503
McDermott M81E with an upgrade leather wrap, Feb. 2008 (Jayme at McDermott gave me this info), sellers label with price still on the butt.
A Farris out of Tulsa
A JW Petree 2006 out of Tulsa, in a flexible leather case
A nice what looks to be a custom, with two shafts, all capped, but for the life of me I can't find any maker marks.

Two case's hold the other four., one really nice, the other may have been nice once but looks like the cat used it a bit as a scratching post.

Except for logos, I haven't taken any photos yet but can do that if need be.

She is still going through the house and has just found three more cases, so there may be more to come.

Thanks in advance for any advice. If I feel I can get over what the Ohio company will pay I can try the buy/sell forum on AZ, but I have a lot of experience buying online, very little selling.

Steve

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Facebook is another marketplace you might look into.
Cues could be worth a few hundred bucks each, maybe more.
Post pictures and people can help you estimate value.
Gl

Andrew Manning

Aspiring know-it-all
Silver Member
A nice what looks to be a custom, with two shafts, all capped, but for the life of me I can't find any maker marks.

You definitely want to post detailed pics of this to get an identification, it could be anywhere from practically valueless to a 5-figure value depending on who made it.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Get Eddie Farris to help with cue id/values.
He is a good man who makes good cues:wink:

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just went through the same thing with about 40 pool cues. here's what I found.
First thing is to weigh each cue and measure the shafts as everyone wants to know that much for sure. Also roll the cues and shafts looking for taper roll or actual warping. I used those round dot stickers and put the weight and shaft size on it and stuck it on the butt sleeve of each cue. Do it that way and you only do it once! You'll never remember all of the cues! I also made a single letter notation for the taper roll. N for none S for slight etc. Only relative but better than nothing.

Inspect every thing carefully and be up front about condition. I cleaned up all the shafts as best as I could, shaped the tips, replaced a few, and polished the ferrules, all by hand.

If you can chase down production cue makes and model numbers it will help to catalog anything you can find out, like years produced, retail price, etc.

I found Facebook listings worked well for many of the cues. There are a lot of pool cues for sale groups to join but the more you can list in the better off you are.

Craigslist may work okay but it was very hot and cold. Ebay always works okay but between them and PayPal you will be out 13%. Not bad with a couple hundred dollar cue but it really stings if you have a $3000 cue to sell!!

AZ Billiards can be good but you see mostly higher cost cues in the listings and I don't think people want to deal with a new guy with no sales feedback and expensive cues.

If someone stops by to see a couple cues, they are waving money in your face!! See what you can do to work out any deals to get as much of it as you can. If they are spending a lot on a few cues give them a decent deal! I sold $800 for 4 cues to one guy and at least one of the cues was worth more (maybe twice) than the $200 he paid for it. he was thrilled and had some breathing room on them.
Another guy was interested in one cue at $2400. Okay, fine but I pulled out another just to show him and he bought that and a Swift case as well and spent $3000. So don't pass up any opportunities!

Shipping was with USPS Priority Mail in the long triangle shaped "tubes" they are 38x6x5. They are free delivered to your door. You can ONLY order them online. Local post offices cannot get them as weird as that is!! Shipping a single cue priority mail across the states should only cost under $15, other than insurance and cost for other packing material like bubble wrap.
I can always find free bubble wrap on Craigslist around here.
Also UPS has good round shipping tubes but they cost about $4.00 each if needed in a pinch.

I had a few butt sections that had no shafts, McDermott, Cuetec, etc. nothing special. I sold them on Ebay and listed them for about $40 and took offers. Most offers were about $20 or $30. I didn't dicker much and took what I could get. Sorta the same with cues I knew nothing about, no maker marks etc. and didn't look like much. I started them at about $75 and took offers.

And take good pictures!!

Good luck with it. It is an unenviable task and will take some time!!

contactgsw

Registered
I love eBay, have bought hundreds, gold nuggets to diamond rings, to metal detecting gear. Sold exactly one thing though. I would like the billiards community to have a shot at these though, if they are something that could be appreciated if they are valuable, if not maybe someone will play pool with them. Mr Farris seems to be highly esteemed. Researched Mr Petree, he seemed to be highly thought of but then dropped off the map. The custom without a signature is intriguing, but just like I haven’t won the lottery yet, don’t expect this to have a massive value, but I will put it out to the community to assess. I’ve photographed the two Tulsa cues and have already seen valuable and gracious input.
Steve

contactgsw

Registered
I understand he just repairs and refurbishes now. I think it would be cool to get his provenance, any idea of contact info?
Steve

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the very best advice I feel that I can give someone with cues to sell in your position- and i have 20 years experience buying and selling cues on and off line: 1. you really know nothing about cues, 2. You are not an experienced on line seller, 3. you have multiple cues to : find out their market value, get detailed info, take detailed pictures, list, sell, ship and PRAY that there is no push back on your sales through ebay, paypal, credit card companies, and deadbeats- as well as hope that all the cues get safely through the mail ( damage, theft, etc.)
I suggest you gather up every cue and case , once you have found them all. Find a local person through a local billiard hall or local cue maker who KNOWS a good deal about cues and cases. Add up the suggested retail values of ALL your cues and cases. THEN- go to that wholesale guy and sell them everything at one time at a minimum of 50% of your best retail estimate.
You will be done with the cues, have cash in hand, and save yourself MOUNTAINS of headaches- trust me- if you try and sell these individually online; as a complete novice you will REGRET it and come back to say I was Right!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is the very best advice I feel that I can give someone with cues to sell in your position- and i have 20 years experience buying and selling cues on and off line: 1. you really know nothing about cues, 2. You are not an experienced on line seller, 3. you have multiple cues to : find out their market value, get detailed info, take detailed pictures, list, sell, ship and PRAY that there is no push back on your sales through ebay, paypal, credit card companies, and deadbeats- as well as hope that all the cues get safely through the mail ( damage, theft, etc.)
I suggest you gather up every cue and case , once you have found them all. Find a local person through a local billiard hall or local cue maker who KNOWS a good deal about cues and cases. Add up the suggested retail values of ALL your cues and cases. THEN- go to that wholesale guy and sell them everything at one time at a minimum of 50% of your best retail estimate.
You will be done with the cues, have cash in hand, and save yourself MOUNTAINS of headaches- trust me- if you try and sell these individually online; as a complete novice you will REGRET it and come back to say I was Right!
Good advice here.

contactgsw

Registered

Thanks for the reality check. Very accurate. Fish out of water here, but lessons to be learned. I'm going to try and get the Tulsa cues back if I can, to those folks who understand that customizer community. The others, I can see your point. The unlabeled custom, I'll let the photos show whether it's valuable or not. The McDermott is so nice, looks unused, with the $329 tag still on it. It's going to be hard to to let it go below that. May have to keep the National, take it and the Lucasi to the local halls with my leagally blind friend, maybe I could win, but knowing him, probably not. An interesting community, some very good and objective evaluation of the cues by pm. Appreciate all the input.
Steve

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
Thanks for the reality check. Very accurate. Fish out of water here, but lessons to be learned. I'm going to try and get the Tulsa cues back if I can, to those folks who understand that customizer community. The others, I can see your point. The unlabeled custom, I'll let the photos show whether it's valuable or not. The McDermott is so nice, looks unused, with the $329 tag still on it. It's going to be hard to to let it go below that. May have to keep the National, take it and the Lucasi to the local halls with my leagally blind friend, maybe I could win, but knowing him, probably not. An interesting community, some very good and objective evaluation of the cues by pm. Appreciate all the input.

Steve
An objective casual observer could easily get the impression that you want this to be complicated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend you create separate threads for each cue with pictures and request general opinions on values and the ID of the unknown cue.

From there you can decide where and how you want to post the cues for sale. Wherever you advertise, you will need to determine the condition (cosmetic and physical) and specs (length, weight, shaft diameter) of each cue.

Don't try to make your own judgement on the desirability of each cue. Not being familiar with cues, the cue in the worst condition may actually be the most valuable and vice versa.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Silver Member
There are some shops out there that will sell cues on consignment. they usually take 10-15%. If you are looking for an easy solution, that might work. they could also tell you which cues are worth selling. Might be the easiest way if they found a number of other cases.