Josh Filler says to SVB, "There's a new King!"

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Once again, I don't care to bet, but rest assured, the money has nothing to do with it. I've given my reasons.

By the way, if you're so rich, why not contribute some of your wealth to pool events and pool-related causes. In my life, I reckon I've contributed over $100,000 to pool events and pool-related causes, and I'm not talking about investments or business ventures, just contributions given with nothing expected in return. My pockets aren't exactly tight, but my taste for side betting on pool is near zero.

FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league. That said, wealth is a very trivial matter on the forum, and I'd never want to be defined by it. My posts should be the only measure of me around here. There is no relationship between wealth and quality posting on AZB.

You state it as if it were fact that only long-race play will define a true champion. That it your opinion, and what player in our sport's history has ever been counted among the greatest ever because of their results in the action room in marathon races? I've been to a lot of BCA Hall of Fame inductions, and I've never heard these marathon races, a relatively new novelty in our game, even mentioned.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I'll always believe that greatness is measured in major titles. For that reason, Filler's career cannot be compared to that of SVB, for SVB's major title count is way above that of Filler. Shane's level of accomplishment is still something that the 22 year old Filler can only dream of, but right now Filler is consistently outperforming Shane and, for some reason that I don't get, that seems to bother you a lot.

Hey Stu;

Can I hold a hundo? :grin:

In stark contrast to the bold arrogant statement that "I am the King now" by Filler was the gem that came from Skyler during a post doubles victory interview where it was pointed out that he might be on another MVP pace.

Sky responded that it was all about the Team and he added: "Who cares about the MVP, I just wanna get the cash."

Filler might be the genuine Killer but I'll continue rooting for guys like Sky and it's not just because I'm an American. :yeah:

best,
brian kc

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We've gone over this before. Chang only won by 7 games when they played.

Yes, Chang had a big lead after the first day, but a horse #@##@ would imply he kept his foot on the gas the whole time.

That was a shorter race and it was over on day won after Chang left him dripping ,, he also beat him in longer races confirmed here ,, and he's no secret that they have asked him to play and they have been declined ,,

If the shoe was on the other foot the huggers would be talking about it every time the best is mentioned ,,

Last edited:

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
Filler is the real deal at this time, if he is really as good as he appears then he can act or say anything he wants. I have seen many before him rub their skills in the pool worlds face before and yes its irritating to some but when you are on top that's the time to do it.

I was not a fan of Carl Boyes for many years, partly because I thought his game was not that good. After watching him play I realized that Carl is a great player and after listening to him commentate and in interviews this year I am starting to appreciate Carl's knowledge and demeanor.

Maybe Filler will be a favorite of pool enthusiasts as time goes on and we are not so fearful of him beating our heroes. Remember he has the game already he might mature and be a great asset to the game.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Day 4 lineup

I hope Billy gets it done. Winning 1st set will be huge.

Bergman should be in front 4. Europe can sweep and he wouldn't play today.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1574961911745.jpg
    FB_IMG_1574961911745.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 297

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hey Stu;

Can I hold a hundo? :grin:

In stark contrast to the bold arrogant statement that "I am the King now" by Filler was the gem that came from Skyler during a post doubles victory interview where it was pointed out that he might be on another MVP pace.

Sky responded that it was all about the Team and he added: "Who cares about the MVP, I just wanna get the cash."

Filler might be the genuine Killer but I'll continue rooting for guys like Sky and it's not just because I'm an American. :yeah:

best,
brian kc

Points are well taken, Brian, and I also root hard for Skyler. I was over the moon at Alexandra Palace a year ago when he won the Mosconi MVP. I was, similarly, thrilled to be ringside when he won the Derby City 9-ball final this year and captured Master of the Table.

I'll be rooting hard against Filler today, but, to me, pool needs a cocky superstar like Filler and over the last eighteen months, in which three American-based WPA Sanctioned events were added to the World Pool Calendar (International 9-ball, WPA Players and WPA World 10-ball), Filler seems a good person to be carrying the torch for men's pro pool.

I'm not a Filler fan, just a fan of great pool and whoever is playing it at any given moment is entertaining me to the max. The kind of theater and energy that seem to be present anytime Filler plays is good for pool.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member
FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league.

Can I count the .00 as digits? How about the commas?

SJM was a Wharton grad if I recall (and a fine gentleman as well). Stu, my daughter, who you met, is at Marshall MBA school at USC now. She received a full fellowship after graduating from Temple. She plans on being a consultant at one of the big firms.

Last edited:

plague

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SJM never shy of an eloquent reply
hear hear
LOL, I don't often bet on pool, and I wonder if I've bet more than $50 on a match since the 1990's. If I ever bet on pool again, though, it will be as a favor to a close friend who badly wants action. Same thing with stake-horsing --- I've seen far too much "business" done in my day to want to get involved in that, and rarely ever see big action matches where I'm sure everything's absolutely on the level.

If you were a close friend and I felt certain that you were good for the money, and I was 100% sure that no "business" was being done in the match, I'd consider betting $500,000 on Filler, but those conditions are not met here, so you'll have to find your action elsewhere. I only know you as a very capable poster on this forum.

If you devalue my opinion because side action doesn't especially interest me, that's your business, and also your prerogative. Unless I miss my guess, though, I've watched more long-race pool than all but a few on this forum, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as watching all the greats assemble to chase down a very difficult title.

Hey, maybe you're right and Shane would take down the bet. Who really knows?

Finally, thanks for the insult. Much appreciated. It is not in my nature to return the insult. On the bright side, you can put me on ignore, since you seem to view me as short-sighted and uninformed.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once again, I don't care to bet, but rest assured, the money has nothing to do with it. I've given my reasons.

By the way, if you're so rich, why not contribute some of your wealth to pool events and pool-related causes. In my life, I reckon I've contributed over $100,000 to pool events and pool-related causes, and I'm not talking about investments or business ventures, just contributions given with nothing expected in return. My pockets aren't exactly tight, but my taste for side betting on pool is near zero.

FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league. That said, wealth is a very trivial matter on the forum, and I'd never want to be defined by it. My posts should be the only measure of me around here. There is no relationship between wealth and quality posting on AZB.

You state it as if it were fact that only long-race play will define a true champion. That it your opinion, and what player in our sport's history has ever been counted among the greatest ever because of their results in the action room in marathon races? I've been to a lot of BCA Hall of Fame inductions, and I've never heard these marathon races, a relatively new novelty in our game, even mentioned.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but I'll always believe that greatness is measured in major titles. For that reason, Filler's career cannot be compared to that of SVB, for SVB's major title count is way above that of Filler. Shane's level of accomplishment is still something that the 22 year old Filler can only dream of, but right now Filler is consistently outperforming Shane and, for some reason that I don't get, that seems to bother you a lot.
Nailed it, Stu!!! Man, wish I could’ve met you to say hello this week. But I understand why....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Eric.

Club a member
Silver Member
Lastly, I’d venture to say that I’d have a long line of vouchers for any amount you’d care to bet. I sold my internet start up for more than Filler or Shane will see in their lifetimes.

FYI, I am not living paycheck to paycheck. I am a wealthy man who retired at 50 and unless your net worth has nine digits in it, you're not financially out of my league. That said, wealth is a very trivial matter on the forum, and I'd never want to be defined by it. My posts should be the only measure of me around here. There is no relationship between wealth and quality posting on

Can I count the .00 as digits? .

Lol, Tate! ePenis boasting rears its little head again. That's the Internet; where fantasy becomes reality.

Eric > don't forget the 45 cents

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
LOL, I don't often bet on pool, and I wonder if I've bet more than $50 on a match since the 1990's. If I ever bet on pool again, though, it will be as a favor to a close friend who badly wants action. Same thing with stake-horsing --- I've seen far too much "business" done in my day to want to get involved in that, and rarely ever see big action matches where I'm sure everything's absolutely on the level.

If you were a close friend and I felt certain that you were good for the money, and I was 100% sure that no "business" was being done in the match, I'd consider betting $500,000 on Filler, but those conditions are not met here, so you'll have to find your action elsewhere. I only know you as a very capable poster on this forum.

If you devalue my opinion because side action doesn't especially interest me, that's your business, and also your prerogative. Unless I miss my guess, though, I've watched more long-race pool than all but a few on this forum, despite the fact that I don't enjoy it nearly as much as watching all the greats assemble to chase down a very difficult title.

Hey, maybe you're right and Shane would take down the bet. Who really knows?

Finally, thanks for the insult. Much appreciated. It is not in my nature to return the insult. On the bright side, you can put me on ignore, since you seem to view me as short-sighted and uninformed.

I owe Stu a greenie....better quote this so I can’t change my mind....:smile:

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
Shane King

I agree 100%. Filler is confident and cocky, and that's the stuff of world champions. He's saying, "bring it on" and he's ready to take on all comers. I like his bravado and candor. "The King is dead. Long live the new King!"

Don’t think the king is dead because he just put a thrashing on the Philippine money king. I don’t think filler beats Orcullo in a long set. Shane has been dominate since 2007 and impressive playing numerous champions long sets for his own big money.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I read a biography about Gorgeous George
It detailed how he cultivated the bad boy image

Muhammed Ali gives credit to him ,and you will never guess another prominent
legend in show business

try to guess,we might have some fun

At any rate I allplaud the use of the bad guy image

My guess is that he will continue beating SVB

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Don’t think the king is dead because he just put a thrashing on the Philippine money king. I don’t think filler beats Orcullo in a long set. Shane has been dominate since 2007 and impressive playing numerous champions long sets for his own big money.

Filler crushes DO and beats Shane, you've got action!

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The only game DO beats Filler in a long set is one pocket and that may be temporary

fishless

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The king just gave USA the Mosconi Cup.

Yes, how fitting was that! gotta love it!

Edit to add I've never seen Shane so excited, I'm sure the King losing in that fashion was part of it.

Last edited: