Your percent for this drill?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you’d have to be a real strong B player to bet 100 per attempt that you’ll make all 15, or you’d go bust. That’s about a 600 Fargo in my mind.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, so lets make this drill more productive. Shoot the ball closest to the rail on both sides. These are the hardest shots. Over and over. Increase the distance between cue and object ball. Do this on a 9ft table. Cloth is not new (thank you captain Obvious) Also assume pockets are not buckets. You will quickly see if you are hItting this straight shot properly. Its a good drill

Last edited:

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shoot this with a pure stop shot and if your cueball moves more than 1/4 of an inch, in any direction it's a miss. Or if the ball doesn't go in.
If people still gambled, I would have busted a lot of C and B players with this one.
Even goofs can do it with a little draw on each shot, but making them stop the ball is a whole different animal.
Usually, after averaging missing about 3 out of 5, they quit.
If you play pretty good , move back to the first diamond with the cueball and watch your make level go down.
You still need to stop the cue ball though
I remember how shocked I was when I couldn't make all 15 balls every time,I had been really sick for about 7 or 8 years and hadn't played much, and I was not able to get down on a ball like I used to, but still ,it's straight in with ball in hand.
Tres Kane from Phoenix showed me this, to help my pocketing and I thank him immensely.
Most of you guys who would really benefit from doing this correctly , will not even deem it worth trying , so you won't find out that it is harder than it looks for many people.
If you have any mechanics flaws ........... they will show up here!

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, so lets make this drill more productive. Shoot the ball closest to the rail on both sides. These are the hardest shots. Over and over. Increase the distance between cue and object ball. Do this on a 9ft table. Cloth is not new OBVIOUSLY. Also assume pockets are not buckets. You will quickly see if you are hItting this shot properly. Its a good drill

When I first started doing this drill ,I was shocked at how poorly I was shooting the one down the left rail , I wasn't making a solid enough bridge was the answer.
i also had trouble with the number 4 balls out on both sides , I saw that angle a little funny and found that I needed to change my head position to the inside a bit on that angle.
I could have missed those shots the rest of my life and never realised they were different , so if for no other reason , the drill helped me there a great deal.

L I F D 1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First diagram I thought all balls shot into the right side corner.
and you allow ball in hand each shot?

Second exercise reminds me of Rudy (Minnesota Fats) Wanderlone's off the rail workout.

How are the pockets sized for this routine?

Attachments

• X 0 X 0.png
    X 0 X 0.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 280
  • X 0 X 1.jpg
    X 0 X 1.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 277

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jin has done this drill on and off... he averages about 1 miss per set. Some days he gets all, but others he can have a brain fart and miss once or twice per setup.

It sounds and looks easy on paper but isn't.... plus with 4" pockets, some of the shots have a very small margin or error.

Which drill, BIH each shot as OP stated, or frozen to the rail BIH, etc.?

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First diagram I thought all balls shot into the right side corner.
and you allow ball in hand each shot?

Second exercise reminds me of Rudy (Minnesota Fats) Wanderlone's off the rail workout.

How are the pockets sized for this routine?

That bottom exercise where the CB is froze to the rail is tough for me. I tried that one tonight and wow do I really need to work on that aspect. Slow rolling is my best bet for making any of those. Thanks for sharing...I’ll work on that one, but I doubt I’ll ever be able make all 15 of those in a row. Drills at home are about all I do anymore, so it’s always nice to get new ideas. I have pro-cut size pockets with 2 year old Simonis and the ones where the OB is close to the rail is by far the hardest shots for me, that 4-1/2” corner pocket seems more like a 3” pocket coming in at that angle. I just can’t imagine trying to make those shots on one of those west coast tables with 4-1/8” corners.

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have pro-cut size pockets with 2 year old Simonis and the ones where the OB is close to the rail is by far the hardest shots for me, that 4-1/2” corner pocket seems more like a 3” pocket coming in at that angle.

There's a lot of variables that come into play like cloth condition, shot speed, etc., but in general the shot with the object ball nearer the rail is easier for a slow hit than one further from the rail. Here's some examples from the Pool Shot Analyzer app. Notice the Effective Pocket Size, 2.92" near the rail vs. 2.41" further away. You get some more wiggle room near the rail since you can touch the long rail a diamond or so before the pocket and still make the ball.

Attachments

• psa1.png
    psa1.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 246
  • psa2.png
    psa2.png
    27 KB · Views: 259
  • psa3.png
    psa3.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 254

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You get some more wiggle room near the rail since you can touch the long rail a diamond or so before the pocket and still make the ball.

If you are hitting the long rail that far up then you are not making the best use of this drill. Hit this straight shot firm and consistently still make the shot. That means not hitting the long rail that far up. I assume the drill is to improve the stroke for a straight shot.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Even goofs can do it with a little draw on each shot, but making them stop the ball is a whole different animal.
Stop shots are easier than controlled draw/follow, as explained on Dr. Dave's Stop Shot Resource Page:

"With a stop shot, the CB has a small amount of top/bottom spin over a fairly large distance, especially with faster-speed shots, and the CB stops within a very short distance (or no distance at all) with a small amount of spin (or no spin)."

pj <- maybe not to within 1/4", though...
chgo

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is your app still available for download? Old links don't seem to work any more...

pj
chgo

You can get the Pool Shot Analyzer app from a link at the bottom of the Downloads page of www.Cue-MD.com. Just download and open it. It's a little Java app, you'll need Java installed on your machine for it to work.

One Pocket John

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a drill I do a lot. Line up all 15 balls in a line between the side pockets. Set up a straight in shot from the second diamond (like shown on the diagram) and shoot into the corner with a stop shot/slight draw. Repeat for all balls, 7 into one corner, 8 into the other.

What percentage do you make and what do you consider your playing level? Just curious to see how I compare.

Thanks.

Good exercise to strengthen your mechanics, vision center and stroke. Shoot the shots as shown, then on the next 15 balls move them 2 diamonds closer to the pockets.

A more challenging drill is to use high center cue ball and have it follow the OB into the pocket on all 15 shots.

John. :)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
There's a lot of variables that come into play like cloth condition, shot speed, etc., but in general the shot with the object ball nearer the rail is easier for a slow hit than one further from the rail. Here's some examples from the Pool Shot Analyzer app. Notice the Effective Pocket Size, 2.92" near the rail vs. 2.41" further away. You get some more wiggle room near the rail since you can touch the long rail a diamond or so before the pocket and still make the ball.

On a tough table a lot of balls will rattle and not drop if you hit the long rail before the pocket. So it's better to not calculate the margin of error or effective opening by allowing for possible wiggle room.

The app shows margin of error (ob to pocket) as the entire window for error. I mean it shows a 2.4° window instead of showing +/- 1.2°. Pretty neat app though. Very handy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally tried the OPs drill yesterday. I had to take a bunch of crap off of the table, and I was surrounded by more crap on the floor. Nevertheless, I gave it a go. I was 12 for 12 maneuvering my feet and cue around obstacles. On shot 13 and in the home stretch, my cue hit a ladder on the back stroke, causing a miscue and scattering of the remaining 3 balls. I’ll have to try again once I have organized my crap:)

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just throwing this out (read it somewhere)...

For any straight-in shot it's the most difficult when the object ball is midway between the cue ball and the pocket. Move the object ball closer to the cue ball or closer to the pocket and the shot becomes easier to make.

This is good to know if you work on setting up/practicing straight-in drills.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just throwing this out (read it somewhere)...

For any straight-in shot it's the most difficult when the object ball is midway between the cue ball and the pocket. Move the object ball closer to the cue ball or closer to the pocket and the shot becomes easier to make.

This is good to know if you work on setting up/practicing straight-in drills.
A common straight-in drill is to place the OB on the table's center spot and shoot it straight into a corner pocket, either stopping the CB, following it into the far pocket or drawing it back into the near corner pocket. You can start with the CB anywhere on the diagonal shot line and move it back toward the near corner pocket as you improve.

pj
chgo

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I finally tried the OPs drill yesterday. I had to take a bunch of crap off of the table, and I was surrounded by more crap on the floor. Nevertheless, I gave it a go. I was 12 for 12 maneuvering my feet and cue around obstacles. On shot 13 and in the home stretch, my cue hit a ladder on the back stroke, causing a miscue and scattering of the remaining 3 balls. I’ll have to try again once I have organized my crap:)

Reading that reminded me of Smorg for some reason...

Somewhere else in here someone asked about the BiH rules, and yes, frozen to the rail for the drill I posted. It's similar to the OPs, with a little added difficulty. It's from iPAT3 (Pro Level) and is one many in the book. The iPAT series is actually really good for testing your ability and helping you improve. I'll give the OPs drill a go tonight for fun and post the results.