Az Members who build their own cues please post photo's of your new and old work!!!!

Eric Wynne

Banned
Everybody has some nice stuff ...

Take a look ...

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 2,020
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,808
  • DSC00048.JPG
    DSC00048.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,889
  • DSC00046.JPG
    DSC00046.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 1,743
  • DSC00049.JPG
    DSC00049.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 1,736

ioCross

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
shame this thread died already, esp. with the number of custom cue makers on here.

it must be so freakin cool to build a cue, and put your own logo on it, and play with it.

and when people ask who made the cues you can proudly say "oh i made it myself"

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ioCross said:
shame this thread died already, esp. with the number of custom cue makers on here.

it must be so freakin cool to build a cue, and put your own logo on it, and play with it.

and when people ask who made the cues you can proudly say "oh i made it myself"
Funny thing is half of the time they don't believe you when you tell them you made it.

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is some getting ready for the 08 super billiard expo. I will post some pics in a few months when they are finished. Chris.
08cues005.jpg

08cues007.jpg

08cues011.jpg

08cues014.jpg

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
those cues look nice chris,what are the handles on the pointed cue,laminated Maple?.here is my Purpleheart finished:

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they are laminated maple. I use those and cored handles as well depending on what I am trying to do. Chris.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Chris Byrne said:
Here is some getting ready for the 08 super billiard expo. I will post some pics in a few months when they are finished. Chris.
08cues005.jpg

08cues007.jpg

08cues011.jpg

08cues014.jpg

I love your work Chris!!!!!!!!!!! Very Very Nice, did you make all the blanks?

Either way they are great looking cues!!!!!

Thanks for posting!!!!!!!!

Chris Byrne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Craig. I made the blanks, I just made a new fixture this summer for them. My last one worked but it was not very adjustable. My new one will go from 0-27inches long. I couldent do reverse points with the old one so it had to go. I set this up on my second mill so I won't have to tear it down after every use anymore. I have been doing mostly cnc'd cues for the last few years but I learned on v point cues. I think the market is returning to traditional styled cues and I am glad to see the renewed interest in them. I really enjoy making the cues. Here is a few pics of my setup. Chris.
This one is as I was finishing with the base milling, everything is just sitting in place.
vpointjig008.jpg

milled base for perfect alignment with no shims
vpointjig003.jpg

finished forearm for ilustration. The fixture was finished in this pic. I also added a new powerfeed unit with the kill switch.
vpointjig022.jpg

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Chris Byrne said:
Thanks Craig. I made the blanks, I just made a new fixture this summer for them. My last one worked but it was not very adjustable. My new one will go from 0-27inches long. I couldent do reverse points with the old one so it had to go. I set this up on my second mill so I won't have to tear it down after every use anymore. I have been doing mostly cnc'd cues for the last few years but I learned on v point cues. I think the market is returning to traditional styled cues and I am glad to see the renewed interest in them. I really enjoy making the cues. Here is a few pics of my setup. Chris.
This one is as I was finishing with the base milling, everything is just sitting in place.
vpointjig008.jpg

milled base for perfect alignment with no shims
vpointjig003.jpg

finished forearm for ilustration. The fixture was finished in this pic. I also added a new powerfeed unit with the kill switch.
vpointjig022.jpg

Well Chris, thanks very much for the reply, I really like your work. I also think that traditional cue making skills are become very sought after again. People are getting tired of the CNC techniques along with the large prices tags for the short cuts that are involved in this technology. I also believe that many of the current people building cues are either going to have to learn the traditional techniques or they will have to just fade away.

With our Asian brothers turning out cues at the rate they do with CNC Technology it will be very hard if not impossible for others to compete in the very neart future.

Again thanks and have a great day!!!!!!!! I really love your work, I hope the New year brings great things your way!!!!!!!!

BPG24

Banned
joe c said:
Here are a few different types,titilest conversion,inlayed rings,a wrapless and a burl with fancy rings.
Thanks for looking Joe Callaluca

010.jpg

009.jpg

006-3.jpg

008.jpg

The cue in the middle is awesome! Nice work

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
mystery maple!

I help out over at Ariel Carmeli's shop part-time. Been doing that for over 2 years. Here's what could be called my first cue. Its made of a kind of hard maple that is a mystery. It has cross-graining curl but also other figure that is not birdseye or bark pocket. I made this cue for a maple dealer entirely from his wood. The maple dealer hadn't seen this type of maple before either.

Martin

MBQ1b.jpg

MBQ1a.jpg

MBQ1c.jpg

MBQ1d.jpg

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got a batch of maple like that, but much more figured than that and the guy called it birdseye. But I never agreed with him on that but it sure was unusual and looked great. Someone else said it was a rare type of spalting, but who knows. But it was loaded with those long narrow speckles. I wonder if there is such a thing as speckled maple officially?

jazznpool

Gold Member
Silver Member
Chris, Speckled sounds like a good name for that figure. I have 2 more pieces that are stronger in figure. They will need to be cored though. After the cue was finished I discovered the forearm wasn't as stiff as I would have liked.

Martin

cueman said:
I got a batch of maple like that, but much more figured than that and the guy called it birdseye. But I never agreed with him on that but it sure was unusual and looked great. Someone else said it was a rare type of spalting, but who knows. But it was loaded with those long narrow speckles. I wonder if there is such a thing as speckled maple officially?

masonh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
looks like Ambrosia maple to me.if it is,it is actually Red Maple which is a soft maple,but infected with the Ambrosia beetle larva and the wood is actually very hard.the Ambrosia Maple takes on the apperance of hard Maple when it is actually a soft maple.i am not sure if your cue is Ambrosia maple but it looks identical to some boards i have seen.i would definitley core it in case it is b/c the Red maple is probably not solid forearm material.the beetle probably makes the wood hard,but stucturally it probably still isn't near as strong as Sugar maple.that is why the forearm wasn't stiff enough for you.

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
masonh said:
looks like Ambrosia maple to me.if it is,it is actually Red Maple which is a soft maple,but infected with the Ambrosia beetle larva and the wood is actually very hard.the Ambrosia Maple takes on the apperance of hard Maple when it is actually a soft maple.i am not sure if your cue is Ambrosia maple but it looks identical to some boards i have seen.i would definitley core it in case it is b/c the Red maple is probably not solid forearm material.the beetle probably makes the wood hard,but stucturally it probably still isn't near as strong as Sugar maple.that is why the forearm wasn't stiff enough for you.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=3993
Never heard of it until you mentioned it.

jazznpool

Gold Member
Silver Member
Mason, the wood guy who bought this log knows his way around maple. It is hard maple, just kind of weak. With maple, including birdseye and hard curly, some pieces have more spine or stiffness than others.

Martin

masonh said:

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Latest Conversion Cue Completed by Craig at Full Splice Billiards

This is the new cue I have completed for a customer here at Full Spliced Billiards. The cue was made from a Predator Blank that I purchased from Duc Lam over a year ago. I had a customer who liked the blanks so I made him a conversion cue from one. The cue weighs 18.5 oz, it is 59 inches long, it currently has one 13mm shaft, that weighs 3.95 oz.

Forearm.jpg

butt1.jpg

cue2.jpg

Butt.jpg

Cue1.jpg

I think this one came out ok, but opinions are appreceiated!!!!!!!