Meucci Cues

Budget Billiard

Registered
Ah, you changed it. :thumbup:

Your original post cited the search "pool cue review".

And you edited your original post as well.

Let's look at the first three reviews under that first AZB link.

Yes. It is pretty much like that for any pool cue review..even Joss. "(Brand) Pool Cue Review" etc. Sorry for leaving that out.

deadnutz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's been made clear on this forum "Budget Billiards" is owned and operated by Bobs daughter... Anything posted by that username is just chest pounding about the family product.
Chopdoc, send it anywhere but back to the factory. There's too many "lost and not found" or month long turnarounds that actually take a year or two.

Bob, in my opinion having junk go out the door might happen. Wood is wood, it will move at times with pressure, humidity, etc. No one can fault you for that. These forum members have see it happen all too often. I've been in manufacturing my whole life. When big orders are placed we get them out the door. I'm sure you're no different. Just saying a true custom cue maker who really cares about quality will put it in the new owners hands when they are happy with the finished product and not in a hurry because this order must ship! Pretty simple and you're trying....... but I'm not buying.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. It is pretty much like that for any pool cue review..even Joss. "(Brand) Pool Cue Review" etc. Sorry for leaving that out.

Yes, very true.

The reviews are generally very good, with a few that bash. And they, Joss, have been accused of importing cues and/or importing forearms from China. Which of course they have not.

It is kind of a pattern we have seen for just about any US cue maker.

Meucci has received a lot of criticism for poor quality control and poor customer service...more than the others it seems. There have even been those complaining they did not get their cue back.

Some might say where there is smoke there is fire.

You ave seemed to suggest there is some kind of conspiracy at AZB. There are almost 5.9 million posts here. The entire forum is indexed by Google, and searchable without a logon. It is a tremendous resource. Like any such resource it has issues.

Such resources require the reader to pars the value of information presented. We have people here that are collectors, cue makers, and more. Some are very serious Meucci collectors. We have people that had one bad experience with a Meucci 20 years ago for example and now are very vocal about it. That happens in any business. The reader has to decide the relative value of what is being offered.

Meucci has had an inordinate amount of complaints, but not just here.

Yes, there are other places where product reviews posted, bit linked to individual businesses and at large on the internet.

Product reviews have been a major source of market manipulation. Companies specialize in providing fake reviews and other companies pay for those services.

In medicine, doctors and hospitals get reviews. There are special web sites for it. Honestly, it's 90% crap, bad information.

Sadly, in spite of this, many buyers are very driven by such product reviews.

Some other buyers are driven by what the pros use. Mr Meucci addressed that in his original post very thoroughly. Cue makers can boost that profile with sponsorship deals. They can even write into the deal that the player will use their shaft and not an aftermarket shaft.

Nobody can deny that Meucci has been a major player in the industry, very prominent at all levels for decades. Many pros have used a Meucci, and some famously so.

One of my mentors back in the eighties used a Meucci Original.

What remains is that there have been complaints about the quality. They were not addressed on Mr Meucci's post, and they were not addressed on yours other than to imply that there is some kind of conspiracy.

I am a collector, not a dealer. Although I still play I consider myself a former player. I love my Joss because I have owned it since 1985 and played serious pool with it for years. But I have many cues now.

I enjoy the AZB community. Personally, I was thrilled to see a post from Mr Meucci. I hope to see more from him or a representative. One of the ways makers maintain a presence is by engaging communities such as this.

Dan Janes and his son both occasionally post here. There is a Viking rep that posts here.

Viking was and is a great come back story. Yes, they have an import line. But their cue making facility was re-opened mostly with the original workers.

OB is represented here.

Many are represented here.

Now, I would never pretend to tell somebody how to run their business. But I honeslty think that having a presence in the online community is a good move in today's market.

Meucci cues have a place in the heart of many. I think you need to believe that. In fact Budget Billiards seems indelibly tied to it.

When somebody says publicly they didn't get their cue back from Meucci, or they were sent the wrong cue three times, or there was something wrong with it and it wasn't fixed, it really looks bad when the complaint is met with silence from the maker and/or the distributor.

Most such posts invite comment from the maker or distributor.

Meucci and those that sell Meucci have an opportunity here in that regard.

This thread will not change what is seems to be endeavoring to change. An honest and forthright presence here will.

I can promise you this, I will continue to applaud Mr Meucci for posting. And I will continue to applaud you for posting. I will also be honest in any response that I might make to such posts.

I don't want to see American cue makers suffer in this market. There is much competition from Asia. I support the American makers.

More than that I support Mr Meucci as much as I do the other great names that built the American cue making industry.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After reading comments here, I was quite reluctant to send my MO 84-4 to Meucci for a refinish. Stories of long waits, cues never returned, etc. I had every reason to send to Proficient instead. But I sent to Meucci anyway.

My experience was excellent. Returned in 2 months, excellent finish, ringwork on a 314 partial was perfect line-up. Great customer service on the phone, especially the guy who was doing the work, very responsive and patient with my inquiries. This was in mid 2014.

I'm sure the other folks weren't lying, and the above is just one person's experience - but I couldn't read where this thread is likely going, without sharing it.

Good luck Bob and Budget. It's good to see you here.

Killer Miller

LM Cues
Silver Member
I've been repairing and refinishing Meucci cues for 14 years now. I buy and flip quite a few, others are customers who want to see their Meucci look brand new again. I also work on many other cues, cheap and expensive along with building my own LM Cues.
One thing is for sure, I can ALWAYS sell a Meucci Originals cue. I really don't even try to flip Meucci's after 1988 with the script logo, they just don't sell. Other cue brands (production and/or custom) are a hard sell due to the prices and the fact that their aren't too many pool players that are willing to throw down $3500 for a refinished cue.
One thing that I would like for Bob/Budget to do is expand their Meucci archive to include more of the low production cues i.e. 1/2 horse 1/2 man(forgot the mythylogical name), clover leaf, tournament champion models, early cues(before the first brochure) etc...
I was sad to see the Meucci Originals block lettering come back for a brief time as retro cues. They are not made the same as before with the butt sleeve that is separate from the handle. I've cut up dozens of old meucci originals to put a full new STRAIGHT handle on them but when the forearm is warped, there is not much I can do. That being said, I've seen some other (production/customs) mid to high end cues that are just as warped as some old Meucci cues.
I took a tour of the factory when they were in Sledge,MS. and I believe his name was Rock who gave me the tour. He said that back in the day when they were getting big orders, they were pumping out several hundred cues a week! Being a cuemaker myself, I know there is not much of a chance that all of that wood could be correctly dried and slow turned to keep up with that kind of volume. That is why I understand that when you find an Originals that is straight, its few and far between. The implex plastic that was used obviously ran from different suppliers, some good some not. Seems like some yellowed, some froze and cracked and some stayed intact. The dyes were not as bad but did have a period where they ran.
The old Meucci cues do have a nice hit but too flexable for most today. Back then they were playing on thick cloth that didn't take spin as easy so the meucci shaft was a perfect match. Now a Schon shaft, which I consider to be stiff, can get you around the table with ease on Simonis 860.

Like it or not, Meucci Originals will always have collectors buying them up and just about anyone who shoots pool knows the name.

Just my 2cents worth.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello mate, Black dot shaft was a great innovation, been out the game for a bit, will be interesting to see what you have been working on the last few years. I always thought your cues were nice.

I hope you hang around the forums and share some knowledge, can you do a tutorial on how to build one of them fancy pants deflection testing machines of yours? :grin-square: Bollocks, that thing is nice.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Meucci HiJack.....Oh baby I love this cue, $100 in 1980. Still have it. Had a white/green wrap. I changed it for fun.

Attachments

• IMG_6835.jpg
    IMG_6835.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1,386
  • IMG_6833.jpg
    IMG_6833.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 1,205

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Welcome Bob, and Budget Billiards. Good luck bringing Meucci back. Return to your roots. It's like riding a bike. :cool:
All The Best.
Joe P

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have first hand experience that the quality control at Meucci has been awful the last 15 years that I know of.
Things got better for a while around 2004 or 2005 when Barbara came back, but when cues are sent back for warranty repair Meucci should replace them but instead try to repair the cues.
These repairs take forever and are typically done poorly.
My suggestion in that I don't see the quality improving, would be to simply replace these defective Meucci cues, and don't try to repair them, you're not very good at it.

I just sold the Meucci original cue Meucci made for Danny Medina.
Terrific shafts
Welcome to the forum

☮️ Peace
Ted Brown

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a JR-1, Jimmy Rempe by Meucci, (Originals), until last year when I gave in to a friend that had been begging for about 25 years. He finally hit the right number and I sold it, ($350). Big mistake selling it even if I had gotten double that. I seriously considered buying a new BMC Pro Series 3 but they were all priced over $100 and that's the absolute most I would pay considering that I truly believe quality would be a crapshoot!

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've stated many times on this forum, I have always had great luck with all of the Meucci cues I've purchased over the years. I've bought them in pool halls, from personal friends at their homes, from Budget Billiards and from Bob, personally at his factory. Never had a problem with one of them.

Bob is a very friendly guy who is keenly interested in making sure his customers are satisfied. I own quite a few cues now and every once in-a-while I add to the collection.

The last time I saw Bob, Julia and Barbara, I played banjo and fiddle for them in the factory. We all had a little fun for a few minutes after Bob gave me a pool lesson.

They're wonderful people making a wonderful American product and I'm proud of them and their product.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I've stated many times on this forum, I have always had great luck with all of the Meucci cues I've purchased over the years. I've bought them in pool halls, from personal friends at their homes, from Budget Billiards and from Bob, personally at his factory. Never had a problem with one of them.

Bob is a very friendly guy who is keenly interested in making sure his customers are satisfied. I own quite a few cues now and every once in-a-while I add to the collection.

The last time I saw Bob, Julia and Barbara, I played banjo and fiddle for them in the factory. We all had a little fun for a few minutes after Bob gave me a pool lesson.

They're wonderful people making a wonderful American product and I'm proud of them and their product.
Wow, that's great to hear Drawback, thanks. I'm sure a few others watching this thread will be tickled pink to know Bob is "keenly interested in making sure his customers are satisfied", especially a friend who bought a Meucci in the late '90's for about $450. He had owned Scruggs,Joss, Mali, Viking, and played only at home, (one-hole/straight pool). Cues never left yet the Meucci warped, rings, inlays popped within 2 years, he sent cue in & they "couldn't find it". Around Thanksgiving I'll be making my rounds at the graveyard & let him know about Bob's keen interest!

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow, that's great to hear Drawback, thanks. I'm sure a few others watching this thread will be tickled pink to know Bob is "keenly interested in making sure his customers are satisfied"!

I seriously doubt he's a chameleon rotating independently from a lousy cue maker/repairman to a talented cue maker/repairman in the blink of an eye. He's an artist and one hell of a good one at that. He knows wood having worked with it the better part of his life and he knows design. He's been able to create some beautiful masterpieces.

With the amount of cues that have been made there is bound to be some that have some defects. (Like I said, I've been lucky). Have there been times that the repair has dragged on, perhaps many times over the years. He's tried to service what he creates and sells. Most of the problems associated with his cues are from improper care from owners, I'll bet on that.

But, yes, I'll stand by what I said. He's keenly interested in making his customers satisfied with their cues. He wants the return business.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seriously doubt he's a chameleon rotating independently from a lousy cue maker/repairman to a talented cue maker/repairman in the blink of an eye. He's an artist and one hell of a good one at that. He knows wood having worked with it the better part of his life and he knows design. He's been able to create some beautiful masterpieces.

With the amount of cues that have been made there is bound to be some that have some defects. (Like I said, I've been lucky). Have there been times that the repair has dragged on, perhaps many times over the years. He's tried to service what he creates and sells. Most of the problems associated with his cues are from improper care from owners, I'll bet on that.

But, yes, I'll stand by what I said. He's keenly interested in making his customers satisfied with their cues. He wants the return business.

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

ddg45

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meucci Cues-The Standard Of The Industry
Back On Top

To all Meucci Cue players and those of you considering what cue to purchase, take heart, here are the facts:
Meucci Cues have been made exclusively in only five locations-
From 1963-1971-Chicago area north suburbs as BMC Cues.
1975-1979 Memphis, TN on Getwell Rd
1979-1997 Olive Branch MS (there was also a smaller satellite factory that operated in the late 80's and into the 90's in Senatobia MS, in addition to the Olive Branch facility)
1997-2006 Sledge MS.
2006-Present-Byhalia, MS. This is our current location.
Meucci Cues have NEVER been made in China, which has been falsely stated in this forum.
Unlike other manufacturers, such as Predator, Lucasi, Players, some lines of McDermott, Viking, and several other brands, Meucci Cues are totally made, in our shop, from raw lumber and materials to finished product, with the exception of the leather tip and the rubber bumper (side note-at one time, early on, even the rubber bumpers were made by my wife in her oven at home!)
FYI-In the last 42 months, Meucci Cues have won more prize money and more tournaments than all other brands put together, and that includes the so called custom cues that in some cases are just assembled from parts bought from suppliers, blanks, joints, joint rings, etc... We at Meucci make it all from raw stock, making us one of the only true custom cue makers.
We invite anyone interested in seeing our operation to come visit anytime, and like the last three years, I will be here to welcome you. Our address is 3709 Highway 302, Byhalia MS
Bonus FYI-Who are the players that are doing all the aforementioned winning you ask? Well, I'll be happy to tell you-how bout this list?
Loree Jon Hasson, Jayson Shaw, Dennis Orcollo, Skyler Woodward, Chris Lawson, Mike Massey, Max Eberle, Kevin Cheng, Corey Deuel, Devin Poteet, Dennis Hatch....the list goes on, my apologies if I left someone out. These players are going out with our cues and winning-not with specially modified one off cues, but cues just like the ones that can be purchased by anyone-our cues are built to perform, and each one is built that way-they aren't assembled and then over-modified to make them perform-we build each one of them to perform, and that's what they do. What was said in the past is still true to this day-One Ball Better.
In the interest of full disclosure, in 2006, we had a line of 6 cues designed by me and 80% manufactured in China, and we ferruled, tipped, and reshaped and finished the shafts here in our Byhalia plant. This was the Medici line of cues, and it was clearly advertised as 80% made in China, and 20% finished in our plant. 100 cues of each model were sold under the Medici label, and the decision was made to cancel the line due to inconsistencies in quality.
In closing, anyone on a forum like this can say anything they wish, with no facts or proof, and hide behind the anonymity of the internet-the less informed are allowed to say anything, true or false, mostly false....
But now you have the absolute truth about Meucci Cues.
Sorry Mr. Meucci but you imply anything negative said about your cues is either false or part of some conspiracy and I have a difficult time believing that. I've never used one of your cues but I've read so many comments on this forum, from so many different people, that are so consistently negative that I would not consider a Meucci. I have some friends at my local pool hall that play with and swear by "original" Meucci's from many years ago and even they say your products aren't what they used to be. I have to assume there is some reason for what seems to be a broad consensus that for at least some period of time you simply weren't on top of QC. I've seen CEO's that seem to want to argue with their customers before and while I understand you're proud of what you do at some point listening to what customers are saying rather than disputing them and being in denial may be a better way to go.

dug1903

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ve been playing with a Meucci since the 80's. Great stick.
I've also taken up 3 Cushion and was wondering if they would consider a 3C line.
Ain't nuthin' hits like a Meucci.