Schmidt video release November

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't have a plan things are going to start sucking very quickly. I don't like the look of superiority on Mosconi's face when he was slopping balls in 5" pockets with brand new cloth and I have no interest in whatever JS accomplished. If people's attention span could handle 4 hours of straight pool, we wouldn't need 9 ball.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If people are nicer to John on FB as compared to here, I believe it is because on FB they are talking directly to John, while on here we are talking about John, because he is not a regular here anymore.

When He was a regular here, I don't recall any bad talk to him.

There is really no difference in FB or AZ or any other social media. Its all the same people, just a different platform. Its like being on the rail in a pool room.

So on FB the comments directly to John might be something like, "Good luck with your road show", while inside that poster is thinking to himself "there might be 10 people in the whole country that will sit down for 4 hrs and pay to watch a video in an uncomfortable pool hall". Where as on here, since we are talking "about" John and not directly to him, people will flat out say what they think.

So its not a matter of AZ vs FB, its a matter of talking to a person vs talking about a person.

PS, when John asked to be staked and won the US Open, I'm pretty sure he was a regular contributor on here.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
If people are nicer to John on FB as compared to here, I believe it is because on FB they are talking directly to John, while on here we are talking about John, because he is not a regular here anymore.

When He was a regular here, I don't recall any bad talk to him.

There is really no difference in FB or AZ or any other social media. Its all the same people, just a different platform. Its like being on the rail in a pool room.

So on FB the comments directly to John might be something like, "Good luck with your road show", while inside that poster is thinking to himself "there might be 10 people in the whole country that will sit down for 4 hrs and pay to watch a video in an uncomfortable pool hall". Where as on here, since we are talking "about" John and not directly to him, people will flat out say what they think.

So its not a matter of AZ vs FB, its a matter of talking to a person vs talking about a person.

PS, when John asked to be staked and won the US Open, I'm pretty sure he was a regular contributor on here.

I think the biggest difference from FB and AZ is the unfriend function...and delete.
On AZ, you can put someone on ignore....but only a mod can ban or delete.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the biggest difference from FB and AZ is the unfriend function...and delete.

Good point. One could take it so far by deleting comments and/or blocking people until all remaining comments on their page are positive. Turn it into a circle jerk.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
WOW the climax is building...……….do you think it really happened???::

Are you calling John Schmidt a liar? And would you ask him that to his face? Or on Facebook?

That's the only reason I can think for someone to ask this question, is if they had the thought that John was lying.

What do YOU think happened? That John will only get one chance to monetize this before the pirates get ahold of it, and is therefore being very careful? Or that he intentionally made all this up to jack everyone off?

(Ask stupid questions... get stupid answers.)

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
That and the fact that few on AZ use their real names.

Being anonymous makes it easier to troll.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
that and the fact that few on az use their real names.

Being anonymous makes it easier to troll.

E30F8DA7-F872-4E00-AE1D-04AE29C0ED44.jpeg

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
good for John. Miik it and monetize it the best way you can. You gave us months of straight pool gold for free during your other attempts. I hope that you can turn this amazing accomplishment into years of revenue and hopefully fame beyond the pool world.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
ya so do I , on FB your in control of your page , delete what you want , its a controlled narrative , that's why JB ,CJ and others have fled there

I do have to say that while it's better to have more control over whose content you see FB also has drawbacks. In my case I have 5000 "friends" who are almost all customers or just pool people interested in cases. But since facebook connects me with all of those people it serves me what they post and what their friends post and if that stuff is crappy content such as political falsehoods then it's annoying at best and a day or two lost in arguing at the worst.

I think a combination of the connectivity with more forum structure would be good though.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
yep

I'm not quite sure what the endgame is here, but then again it's clear that neither does John.

It's too bad that such a sublime run is followed by such a business and marketing fiasco. He may make tens, even hundreds of dollars off of this! :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, this run-of-the-mill match has been viewed 20 thousand times on YouTube in 15 hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz39J-jwUys

Imagine how many people would have watched and rewatched the Guinness Book of World Records 626 run. Imagine allowing the video to take on a life of its own as other people commentate over cool plays, examine patterns, create a top 10 list of best shots from the run. (News flash: John could have done all of this himself.) Imagine how cool it would have been to have a 15 or 20 part series where John and a series of other top straight pool minds give their thoughts on how each rack was worked through. Imagine what would happen to Schmidt's name recognition as the video (or highlight reels from the video) rise to the top of every pool and billiards search on YouTube. Imagine how much attention could have been attracted to Schmidt, his sponsors, and the game of straight pool if they had struck while the iron was hot.

But no, we get screenings in a dark room that are more reminiscent of a hostage incident or visit to the White House where people have to show IDs and put their phones in a plastic baggie before entering the room.

Embarrassing.

i like yer style of writing, you tell it how it really is. Ya when a business (or this case a racket) won't show you their #'s - it's usually funny business. I have no marketing degree - however schmidt and charlie williams are both a shady people when it comes to $, so I know to throw caution into their adopted fan.

Last edited: