curving an object ball....

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member
Me too. I think the page is private.

Sorry, this content isn't available right now
The link you followed may have expired, or the page may only be visible to an audience you're not in.
Go back to the previous page · Go to News Feed · Visit our Help Center

Last edited:

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice shot John! It sure looks like you captured that curve well. I'm looking forward to Dr. Dave's comment. Love your shot execution and Dr Dave's analysis. You guys are a great combination for educating players on the art and science of pool.

Good shooting to you!
Kevin

John Brumback

Silver Member
I'm trying to get it on Youtube right now. Sorry about that guys.It's only showing up on my Face book. John B.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
John,

Thanks for posting this. I snipped 3 frames of the video and carefully superimposed three OB position on the same photo. Here it is:

JB_bank_shot.jpg

It looks like you did get a small amount of post-rebound OB curve. It wasn't really necessary to avoid the obstacle ball, but it certainly is noticeable. As I promised, I will attempt to get similar action on my equipment (and if it doesn't work, I try some tables at the pool hall).

Thanks again,
Dave

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
John,

I'm on your side.

Are you cutting that ball right to where it would normally go long but are holding it with top right english & some speed?

Thanks,
Rick

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
John,

Thanks for posting this. I snipped 3 frames of the video and carefully superimposed three OB position on the same photo. Here it is:

JB_bank_shot.jpg

It looks like you did get a small amount of post-rebound OB curve. It wasn't really necessary to avoid the obstacle ball, but it certainly is noticeable. As I promised, I will attempt to get similar action on my equipment (and if it doesn't work, I try some tables at the pool hall).

Thanks again,
Dave
I think this certainly shows that there is a certain curve to the object ball that does indeed change then angle of entry and that if the object ball happened to be a smidge the right, the curve is necessary to make this shot.

There is no question of the message that there is a better understanding of how "robust" this bank shot can be if you understand this curve.

Personally, I found this information from John Brumback eye opening.

ChopStick

Unsane Poster
Silver Member

Thanks again,
Dave

Freddy Bentivegna also does this shot on his DVD. I was able to do it with the ball partially blocking the bank line about an eighth of a ball. John has a straight back on his DVD where you can see the curve even without slow motion. It was a 5 ball if I recall correctly.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Put the camera over by the pocket.
I would phrase that:
Thanks for the video, John. It does look like it's curving. If you have time, please redo the shot so that the ball is coming nearly straight at the camera when it leaves the cushion. That will remove any doubt that some may still have.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Here's a more detailed version of Dave's pic. It can be clearly seen that the OB curves more than a ball offline, beginning its curve just before reaching the blocking OB.

As Dave says, the curve isn't needed to make this shot, but it obviously could help when the blocking ball is in the way.

I don't believe any special stroke or tip placement (or side spin) is needed for this effect. Just a firm enough bank on pretty clean cloth.

Thanks, John!

pj
chgo

View attachment 95655

Attachments

• curve.jpg
    curve.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a more detailed version of Dave's pic. It can be clearly seen that the OB curves more than a ball offline, beginning its curve just before reaching the blocking OB.

As Dave says, the curve isn't needed to make this shot, but it obviously could help when the blocking ball is in the way.

I don't believe any special stroke or tip placement (or side spin) is needed for this effect. Just a firm enough bank on pretty clean cloth.

Thanks, John!

pj
chgo

View attachment 95655

Dr. Dave's line is a more accurate representation of how much the object ball curved imo.

The angle of the picture does not allow for accuracy when you make the line follow the path through the ball at rail and the ball in the first frame because the object ball jumps off the rail.

Last edited: