On the Subject of Bangers.....

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers? At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers? At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?

After more than 20 years, you still haven't figured that out?

SlickRick_PCS

Pool, Snooker, Carom
Silver Member
So let me stroke my condescending ego a little bit, with REAL 20 years of billiard experience answer your question with few words:

"Do you lump all Bangers together, or do you recognize different skill levels amongst Bangers?"

Bangers are bangers... period. There's no ratings on them, they just bang balls without any thought.... and that just sounds gay.

"At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?"

When the player can make shots with cue technique, but couldn't control whitey, then their shotmakers. If a shotmaker can control whitey, then they're players. When a player has committed passion to play for runs, then they're serious.

MIC... DROP....

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
So let me stroke my condescending ego a little bit, with REAL 20 years of billiard experience answer your question with few words:

"At what point do you consider someone to have made the jump from casual Banger, to serious Player?"

When the player can make shots with cue technique, but couldn't control whitey, then their shotmakers. If a shotmaker can control whitey, then they're players. When a player has committed passion to play for runs, then they're serious.
MIC... DROP....

Th nk you. We w ll be r ght ba k thump thump, feedback sound, is th s wo ki g?

9 Ball Fan

Darth Maximus
Silver Member
After more than 20 years, you still haven't figured that out?

Well,....

I didn't offer up an opinion. I asked "you", in general of the forum membership. I thought maybe I could garner some nuggets of wisdom from the grey haired sages on this forum?

I am aware that Bangers is a condescending label applied to low skill pool players. You know, those people feeding quarters into barbox tables, all over America every weekend......helping to keep the retail industry afloat.

I've been participating on internet forums across a broad range of topics, for 17 1/2 years now; and this billiards forum adventure has been a unique experience amongst all the forums I've frequented. It's almost as though the old guard here doesn't want new members to post anything at all, unless they just chime in to say WOW, that sure was cool man!!! and polish someone's sack.

Do you really expect new members to sign up, get talked to like they're stupid for starting threads, lurk on here for a few years trying to earn some forum cred in silence somehow; and still want to be a part of it all?

Shit, this is.....a sure formula to kill off an internet forum.

This reply isn't solely directed toward your post, as much as it is several different posts on several different threads I've started or posted on. It's like from day one, it's just a constant effort to run a new member off.

Push&Pool

Professional Banger
Silver Member
Well,....

I didn't offer up an opinion. I asked "you", in general of the forum membership. I thought maybe I could garner some nuggets of wisdom from the grey haired sages on this forum?

I am aware that Bangers is a condescending label applied to low skill pool players. You know, those people feeding quarters into barbox tables, all over America every weekend......helping to keep the retail industry afloat.

I've been participating on internet forums across a broad range of topics, for 17 1/2 years now; and this billiards forum adventure has been a unique experience amongst all the forums I've frequented. It's almost as though the old guard here doesn't want new members to post anything at all, unless they just chime in to say WOW, that sure was cool man!!! and polish someone's sack.

Do you really expect new members to sign up, get talked to like they're stupid for starting threads, lurk on here for a few years trying to earn some forum cred in silence somehow; and still want to be a part of it all?

This reply isn't solely directed toward your post, as much as it is several different posts on several different threads I've started or posted on. It's like from day one, it's just a constant effort to run a new member off.

I hear you... I've been called a troll since day one. You get used to it over time. But for me this forum is still interesting and entertaining, so they can't just run me off :p

Regarding your question about bangers, well, it depends on how exactly you define a banger. If a banger is someone who literally bangs balls around without any level of strategy, then there's not really a way to rank those. Sure, some of them can be more accurate than others, but that's about it.

In case you consider a banger to be someone with potentially decent shotmaking skills, who can choose their shots with actual sense, but with poor position play, then you can surely rank those. Not really in a formal way though. But an "experienced" banger of that type can in truth be a dangerous opponent if they're accurate enough and get somewhat lucky with position.

The third definition of bangers you can use would be casual pool players who primarily play on barboxes, usually by bar rules. These can vary in their skill and capabilities the most. In addition to becoming formidable shotmakers with enough experience, they can actually know a thing or two about position, and can have developed complex strategies, especially suited to the set of bar rules they play by. Some of them can also be considered "serious" pool players (sort of), despite being casuals, in a way that they play several times a week and are completely focused and dedicated to the game while playing. They also love pool and consider it a part of their lives, not just a random game they can play while drinking here and there. However, it should be noted that a number of those players are less like bangers and more like advanced players who would do well in a pool hall, but either can't find one in their area, or they prefer the atmosphere and company in a bar.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hormel vs. Jimmy Dean vs. grind your own and on and on --- sausages still a matter of taste. (Just don't want any folks from across the pond to feel excluded from a bangers discussion).

As for pool, I guess a "banger" is whatever someone thinks it is - seems like on here it's anywhere from any casual player all the way to a seemingly derogatory expression for folks that play in bars who don't "really" play to whatever standard someone else thinks it should be. Whatever.

I just "play pool" when I play so have friends and relatives all my life. Don't know or care what someone else's label is for that. All kinds of pool players from not so good to SVB - kind of like tennis or golf or softball or ping pong - just nice to see people playing anything at whatever level they enjoy playing.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well,....

I can see you understand why this forum is only a shadow of its former self.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
How exactly are you going to put this new information into use? What will a detailed definition of an absolutely non-specific slang term do for you? It isn't that you are new and ask questions, it's the banal (Google it) nature of them that makes people wish so times you'd move on to ping pong or shuffleboard.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hormel vs. Jimmy Dean vs. grind your own and on and on --- sausages still a matter of taste. (Just don't want any folks from across the pond to feel excluded from a bangers discussion).

I always wondered if bangers are just any sausage, or is there a style or size that is outside of the definition.

Attachments

• FF478FF6-6266-4788-BED9-F03D9835F248.jpg
    FF478FF6-6266-4788-BED9-F03D9835F248.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 589

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I like all kinds of bangers and they can come from different genres. Old Town Road by Lil Nas X. Definitely a banger, but so is Sweet Caroline. You just never know what's gonna move the crowd.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Banger are the foul police that dont know what apa and bca are
Always combative
Dont know a thing about competition play
All they know is the rules they heard there uncle say once when they were a kid that time at the bar
And have rule sets your supposed to already know that are tucked away in thier own minds and dont mention a thing till you crossed them

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Bangers come in all skill levels. I know a guy who recently moved to a 7 that I’d consider a banger. If your 8 ball strategy includes this thought on a regular basis...”I’ll just shoot the ball I know I can make and come back for this F’d up one later” even if that tied up ball is second to last on the table...

The guy does win a a lot of matches, often enough with shutouts lol. It’s amazing to watch sometimes how he just depends on others missing and they oblige. He has pretty bad form, literally jumps forward when he breaks, and thinks bank shots are luck...yet he has made it to an APA 7. (He also claimed straight pool had no defense in it ;) a brotha thought you just racked and broke like 8 ball but could shoot anything)

Then you’ve got the “bar pool” type bangers who range in skill all over but the real difference I think between “banger” and player is someone who works on their game with intent. If you’ve spent time perfecting your fundamentals, if you have practiced stepping into the shot line, stroke in a bottle, wagon wheels, MOAD or whatever then you’re probably not banger material. But that’s just like...my opinion man.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bangers are exactly that: BANGERS. 99.9999999999999999% of them have ZERO desire to get better. They like to knock balls around and if that trips their trigger, so be it. They are the POLAR opposite of a pool player, someone who actually wants to improve.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
"Any player weaker than myself." - Pool Snob

Bangers don't bother me. Their money is just as green and if it helps keep the doors open, by all means, bang away.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Some banners are reasonable shot makers (saw a few at league last night).

I think that there are many banners that will beat even low end C players. But they will never be good players and will win through luck of making shots that they are 50/50 at best to make (aka luck). The C player is inside their head and not always able to preform.

The big distinction imo is the drive to learn. Some folks only know through pounding balls in. They get position through luck (see 50/50 thought).

Also Banners will only reach a certain level and never move on unless they step back and learn to learn.

Hope my thoughts here make some sense. In short, banners come in different skill levels but never pass (on a regular bases) as real pool players day in and day out...

Pete

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Bangers and casual players help keep my favorite poolhalls in business. They're the ones who don't blink an eye paying table time for 6 people on a table and $200 bar tab.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A banger is.....I think when you stop using “Banger” as derogatory term then you will understand what a banger is.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Must be a slow work day for some. Me, I’m bored on a plane. But the rest of you people should be shot for answering such a stupid question.