Sight replacement vs finishing

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Here's a thought for you guys....clear fingernail polish over the sights before staining makes them easy to clean off with Q-tips later, or magic tape, trimmed to fit the sights, peel off when done.:wave2:

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pics from my I-phone really don’t do justice to the Mother-of-Pearl (MOP), but here goes...not sure how plastic sights could even compare to the look of MOP. There are various colors and swirls in the MOP that my camera just can't capture.
347d60b4f6d222d72c3ac1d5405def49.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree Lawnboy, your's looks very nice but mine are really dull, that's why I'm looking for a way to polish them...

Thanks

Last edited:

slach

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got this tip from a web site of a place selling mother of pearl and other types of shell...

Temporarily glue (touch of hot glue) a flat tooth pick to the top face of the sight. Then put a slow setting gel type crazy glue into the hole, press in the sight and tape it down. The match stick holds the sight level to the rail. After it dries, carefully remove the match and clean up.

Haven't tried this, but I think if you're careful with the amount of glue you may not need to do much if any additional sanding or refinishing.

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When mine came from Classic Billiards, I noticed those fine scratches too. I assumed they were just milling marks / sand scratches.
I just wet sanded mine, with 600 to start, then 1000-1500-2000 and then really worn out 2000. Probably overkill, but it worked. I installed mine after the finish.

martin35

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When mine came from Classic Billiards, I noticed those fine scratches too. I assumed they were just milling marks / sand scratches.
I just wet sanded mine, with 600 to start, then 1000-1500-2000 and then really worn out 2000. Probably overkill, but it worked. I installed mine after the finish.

Thank you, I'll try that. Did you saw a big difference before and after polishing ?

Martin