How do I deal with cue with too forward balance?

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

I recently had to play with a different cue because I sent my main cue for refinish. Cue imo, hits spectacular but I could barely play with it due to the dense shaft.

My main cue weighs about 19.2, with 19-19.5" balance point.

But this cue weights about 18.8-19.1oz with 21-21.5" balance point.

I'm just seeking for experts/pros, if anyone knows how to get used to the cue faster. Or where I should hold the cue to get good balance. Because I get tired easily playing this cue, cause balance is too forward, it feels pretty heavy.

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I dont know what the correct fix would be, but how about backing out the weight bolt after measuring its depth from the end of the butt, then insert something light in that length, then reinstall the weight farther back.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
neither pro or expert

Hey there,

I recently had to play with a different cue because I sent my main cue for refinish. Cue imo, hits spectacular but I could barely play with it due to the dense shaft.

I'm just seeking for experts/pros, if anyone knows how to get used to the cue faster. Or where I should hold the cue to get good balance. Because I get tired easily playing this cue, cause balance is too forward, it feels pretty heavy.

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim

Neither a pro or expert but add a little weight under the bumper. The weight the furthest back will affect balance the most and you will probably mind the added weight less than the forward balance. Moving the bridge and grip slightly forward has the same effect but might seem odd too.

I play with a cue with a 21-21.5" balance point but since it is a sixty inch cue it feels quite normal.

hu

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I dont know what the correct fix would be, but how about backing out the weight bolt after measuring its depth from the end of the butt, then insert something light in that length, then reinstall the weight farther back.

I was thinking the same, but the cue could not put a weight bolt in. Because it's a TAD cue. It has the serial carved under the butt.

It's George

Bet Something!!!
Silver Member
Can't, or could not in this case doesn't exist. Take it to a qualified repairman or builder and he will fix you up.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Can't, or could not in this case doesn't exist. Take it to a qualified repairman or builder and he will fix you up.

I know any qualified builder can do it. But I was thinking of not changing anything on the cue, as drilling from the butt will lose the value of the cue. I was asking is there a way to get used to the cue?

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know any qualified builder can do it. But I was thinking of not changing anything on the cue, as drilling from the butt will lose the value of the cue. I was asking is there a way to get used to the cue?

Play with it 4 hours per day for 6 months, you'll get used to it. There apparently is no magic formula for you. Where you place your hands is based upon your desired bridge length and having your forearm being vertical at address on your stroking arm. You wouldn't adjust that due to balance point. If that's what you want to do, shorten your bridge by half and move your backhand forward a few inches. That would certainly change the balance feel.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking practicing is the only way. Just wanna hear if anyone has something different to say, lol.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Like hu said add a little weight under the bumper. If that's not possible or easy do to & especially if this a temporary thing then you might want to just wrap a strip or more of lead tape around the butt cap. You can usually get it in the golf or tennis departments.

Good Lush with finding your solution,
Rick

Kid Dynomite

Dennis (Michael) Wilson
Silver Member
first measure the diameter of the butt cap then have a ring made for your cue to be slightly smaller then the butt diameter. Slide the ring on that butt past the joint and down to the butt cap area the ring will add weight to move the balance point further back. Any cue maker can make the ring and put it on your cue just like sliding that wedding band on your wife's finger. it is a cheap temporary fix for your problem. Play with the size and number of rings until it is comfortable. this is just like adding weights to baseball bats is the best analogy I can make of this fix.

When you get your cue back I would begin looking for a back up cue as close to your favorite cue as possible.

Bella Don't Cry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey there,

I'm 5"6-5"7 tall.

Thanks
Tim

DON'T GET USED TO IT!
Stop playing and wait until your regular cue comes back!
WHY?
By getting used to another cue and then again reverting back to your normal cue WILL do more harm than good to your game.
:thumbup:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys for the input. I was thinking practicing is the only way. Just wanna hear if anyone has something different to say, lol.
OK, I have a lot of experience adjusting cue weights and balance points, My best solution for adjusting the cue balance point further back on a cue with a stainless steel joint is to replace that joint with a non metal joint such as JUMA material. Also, you can have shafts cut down from 13MM to 12.5MM. the joint replacement makes the greater difference in balance point without changing the back weight bolt.

buddha162

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't want to alter the cue in any way, my suggestion is to find a lighter shaft that will fit on the cue.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Find a washer that will fit under the bumper. Since Tad's screw into wood, just place the washer under the bumper and screw it back together - the only cosmetic difference would be that the bumper would stick out further. If you need additional weight put lead tape on the washer as others have said, it's thin and you won't have to adhere it to the wood.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Like others have suggested, there's probably not a lot you can do besides adding a weight underneath the bumper or using a lighter aftermarket shaft. Neither will change the balance point a whole lot, though....that is a very forward-balanced cue. On changing the joint out, it would get you the result you're probably after, but I would resist that temptation as you would devalue your Tad substantially.

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
Learn how to let the cue do the work. Just propel the weight, gently with feel.
Once you get the feel of weight forward you may love it.

I use weight forward ebony, moves the cue ball with ease.