Schmelke fails to live up to the hype

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn’t have the positive experience with Schmelke that everyone else has reported. They did not stand behind their product, and dealing with them turned out to be a big waste of time and money.

I ordered a cue from them for $230. I asked for 1/2" ferrule and 12.6mm diameter shaft, among other things. I paid another $45 for overnight shipping.

The shaft had a full inch ferrule and was about 12.9mm (it felt the same as my 13mm shafts and looked like 12.9mm on my analogue calipers). The shaft alone had a very slight wobble that I was totally fine with, but the cue did not roll straight assembled. It wasn’t bad enough to affect play, but not good enough for a brand new cue.

Schmelke apologized for the wrong ferrule length and said they would have to make a new shaft, which they would do ASAP. However, they claimed that they can’t guarantee an “exact” shaft diameter. Nobody mentioned that when I ordered the cue, but I don’t think 12.9mm is reasonably close to 12.6mm anyway. I didn’t get any response about the straightness issue, but I trusted they would fix it.

I paid for return shipping by priority mail. After waiting for a month, I politely asked them how much longer it would take. Without responding, they shipped it the next day by regular UPS ground. I don’t know if this was a coincidence or if they had just forgotten about it until I reminded them.

After wasting more than $50 on shipping and waiting an extra month, the cue still wasn’t straight. I decided to give up and keep it anyway, and play with it until I could find the right upgrade. After less than a month, a major finish flaw appeared on the butt (see photo).

I contacted Schmelke about this latest issue, reminded them about the unresolved straightness issue, and let them know that I had decided to return the cue for a refund. I was informed that they do not warranty the finish and they were sorry that they did not address the straightness problem. Nevertheless, they would be charging me a 20% restocking fee.

In the end, with overnight shipping, return shipping two times, and restocking, I wasted more than $100 so I could try out a crooked out-of-spec cue with a finish defect. Thanks, Schmelke!

Attachments

• finish defect.jpg
    finish defect.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1,428

Bank Shot

Registered
Well, sorry to hear about this experience. You would think that the company would be more concerned to make you happy...and the re-stocking fee well come on ........that would be the end of it right there for me....how could they dare charge you a restocking fee..........that's what stores do not companies...hahahahah......the unhappy customers are the one you treat even better. WTF.

So what did you decide to go for instead.....I have been looking a mezz's for awhile now...just saving up...lol.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
I like how they play, good starter/bar beater cues. Sucks you had issues.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
They can't garuntee an exact tip diameter?
Geez louiezzz glad I didn't order a shaft with my sneaky

Tbh though

12.6mm to 12.9mm is literally.012 thou of an inch
.006 a side, roughly the size of 2 hairs on each size in difference

picture.php

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I don't think they always do well with super specific orders.

I ordered a cue with very specific requirements once and it didn't come in anywhere close to what I requested, they missed two very key things (joint style and joint diameter) as I was trying to match it to an LD shaft I had. I returned that one right after receiving it and they refunded my money no problem.

I recently decided to give them another try and ordered just a basic sneaky to use as my "car cue". It's out in my car right now and it's like 10* out. Only change was I requested 12.5mm shaft. It's great, very nice cue for the $100 I spent and shaft feels roughly 12.5mm to me though I haven't measured. Has remained straight too even though I'm obviously abusing it with some nasty temps in my car this winter.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Unhappy?... return and ask for a full refund plus shipping. Do not stop here. I dealt with them ....was unhappy about a few things...without hesitating they offered a refund or remake.

Last edited:

wreiman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.... sorry to hear that.. My dealings with Dave over the years there have been good. They have always been good about making things right. I cracked the butt on a sneaky a few years back... they replaces it no questions asked. But one of the guys was right, easier to get the standard stuff right vs. the highly customized stuff.

I have seen the cracks on the butt finish before.... not easy to repair, almost have to refinish the whole cue

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I on the other hand could not bring myself to play with a cue named "Schmelke".

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear of your misfortune. I on the other hand could not bring myself to play with a cue named "Schmelke".

I omitted the logos. I a 314-2 or a REVO on mine. It plays as good as the shooter.

Attachments

• Schmelkes.jpg
    Schmelkes.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Schmelke Revo.jpg
    Schmelke Revo.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,077
Last edited:

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They made me a sneaky pete with a uni-loc joint, as requested. Unfortunately the pin was not centered, so the cue had a roll. I retested with 4 different shafts that I know to be straight - still rolled. A local cuemaker looked at it closely and immediately noticed the pin was off center. I sent it to them and they apparently disagreed and sent it back.

Fortunately their cues are cheap, so I just took it on the chin, but I won't be using them again. To their credit, I previously purchased other cues from them which were fine.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
i really dont like that color of cloth but hard to argue that it isnt the best as far as being able to see clearly

We're off subject (everyone excuse us).... The cloth is Simonis Gold ...more like tan. It's very rich looking ...that is not good picture. In the 60's I played on GoldCrowns with gold cloths and always wanted that combo.. Yes it is really good on the eyes. Had it since 1998...this is the second cloth. It was changed in 2010. Would do it again.

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My friend ask me to help him making cue specifications, he wants to make an order for a Schmelke cue. Being from Europe, it's a bad news to read that such problems can occur. My friend will not be happy reading this, his enthusiasm sure will get down.

Last edited:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We're off subject (everyone excuse us).... The cloth is Simonis Gold ...more like tan. It's very rich looking ...that is not good picture. In the 60's I played on GoldCrowns with gold cloths and always wanted that combo.. Yes it is really good on the eyes. Had it since 1998...this is the second cloth. It was changed in 2010. Would do it again.

Forgive me for hijacking your photo but maybe Simonis Gold is more attractive underneath a rare cue.

Attachments

• Doc Frye 2.jpg
    Doc Frye 2.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 449