Best win percentage in your apa league

RoadHustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian Begay

Brian Begay is a super nice dude and a total monster head and shoulders above everyone else in the state APA (New Mexico) 88% lifetime over 204 matches. 701 Fargo

Last edited:

cardiac kid

Super Senior Member
Silver Member
Why dont you play masters ? I do and really enjoy playing head to head with some pretty strong players in our area. Of course I get whipped up on from time to time but i try to learn from my opponents. And I occasionally win a rack here and there and even a match once in a while. Also its a lot more gratifying winning a heads up match than a handicap match against those guys.

With all the complaints about apa's 23 limit...sandbagging ....llaying real low level players etc etc I dont understand why masters is not more popular than it is.

Sometimes I have wondered if people dont want to play it because they cant use the sandbagger excuse when they lose lol. I have also wondered a time or 2 if people are afraid to play better players without a handicap.

Easy answer to that one lorider, nearest APA Masters league is 90 miles away in the Syracuse, NY area. I've been invited to join. If you factor in fuel, NYS Thruway tolls and the time necessary to drive round trip, it's just not feasible. Thanks for the suggestion though.

When I began playing in our local BCA (PL) league in 1990, there were over twenty 5 player teams in the major division fighting for a "free" trip to Vegas. Yesterday the league announced they were going to play the session with SEVEN teams! Where did all the players go? They don't even seem interested in finding out. As I said, I qualify out of Vegas where I'm NOT the best player in the LV Cue Club league.

Lyn

jojopiff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy in my area is 93% over 1154 matches. The thing is I wouldn’t classify him as a “monster”. A good player but no monster. He’s a 7 but usually doesn’t play other 7’s. He Usually Plays lower level guys & safeties the crap out of them. Like his style or not, he gets points for his team.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike -- The APA matches are handicapped. So if you're a 7 playing mostly <7s and winning 80% then you would be substantially more than 200 points above the average FargoRate of your opponents. Or maybe I'm misreading your point?
[...]

You are right. I was sloppy. My comment refers to games, and I see the rest of the discussion here is about winning the match AFTER the handicap is applied....

Wow.... some large numbers here.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I appreciate Mike Page taking the time to present the results of his research, as a rough gauge we can use to measure Super 7s. SL7 is the terminal skill rank in APA 8-ball.
In the past, if double jeopardy was offered, then adding the APA 9-ball skill rating helped clarify a player.

I can see if you have 2 players who are Super 7s, then the 23 handicap is no longer an effective team equalizer.

:Super 7s.
Not all APA league operators offer the Masters format. I wouldn't be surprised if some don't offer 8-ball/9-ball double jeopardy. So, if there isn't any other league option (BCA, TAP,NAPL, MAPL), other than APA 8-ball, what other outlet is there for Super 7s.

Reminder, Masters is APA's highest skilled league product, while APA 8-ball is their lowest. APA 8-ball was marketed towards beginner & intermediate. Every man starts off as SL4 on a handicap scale of SL2-7, with a 5 game spread. I read somewhere where 80% of the players are SL3/4/5. APA 9-ball has more accommodation for intermediate/higher skill players as the handicap scale measures from SL2-SL9.

Why dont you play masters ? I do and really enjoy playing head to head with some pretty strong players in our area. Of course I get whipped up on from time to time but i try to learn from my opponents. And I occasionally win a rack here and there and even a match once in a while. Also its a lot more gratifying winning a heads up match than a handicap match against those guys.

With all the complaints about apa's 23 limit...sandbagging ....llaying real low level players etc etc I dont understand why masters is not more popular than it is.

Sometimes I have wondered if people dont want to play it because they cant use the sandbagger excuse when they lose lol. I have also wondered a time or 2 if people are afraid to play better players without a handicap.

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure how you cone to the conclusion that the 23 rule is not effective just because of super 7's. The most points they will ever win for their team is 3 points and any player can do that at anytime in any match.

CGM

It'd be a lot cooler if you did.
Silver Member
There's a guy in San Antonio APA with over 800 matches and an 83% win percentage. Hes the best player Ive ever played in my life. Not saying hes the best ever but hes the best Ive ever played. Great guy too.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
It's my opinion, 23 rule is no longer effective as a equalizer for both teams.]
You needed to win 3 out of 5 matches to secure the team's win for the night. If you have two Super 7s on your team, and the other team doesn't, it possible for the team to win just on two shutouts ((3-0)x2=6)

The 3 point rule was added to combat sandbagging, as a Super 7, you can't be raised.

It's even prominently stated here.
https://poolplayers.com/new-3-point-scoring-system/

Similar to 9-Ball scoring, the 3-Point Scoring System is based on performance points, so it's possible for a team to win only two matches and win the overall point total.

Not sure how you cone to the conclusion that the 23 rule is not effective just because of super 7's. The most points they will ever win for their team is 3 points and any player can do that at anytime in any match.

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's a guy in my area (Northern NJ) with 96% in 9-ball and 95% in 8-ball. Hes a A++ player

Shotcy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3 of those really good stats are top 10 players where I'm from. Its probably easier to get a good win % with a small population. I'm the one with the much less win %. Life time 60% for this time next year my goal, doubt ill do it tho. 6-2 so far this season between 9 and 8 ball. just won an 8 ball match earlier tonight so that stat ain't in yet.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-48-54.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-48-54.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 191
  • Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-48-41.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-48-41.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-47-51.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-47-51.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-47-13.png
    Screenshot_2017-10-10-01-47-13.png