Simonis 760

BayGene

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I seem to recall a number of tournaments in the 90s-perhaps the Maine Shootout-at which Simonis 760, rather than 860, was used as more appropriate to 14.1. Does anybody recall this or have any theories on the two cloth speeds?

BooBoo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

According to Simonis, 860 was developed for 9 ball. 760 was for straight pool and other games. I currently have 860 on my table, but when I recover it, I am thinking of putting 760 on it because I like playing straight and 8 ball. I am curious as to how much faster 760 is though. I play alot in bar leagues and sometimes I forget where I am and the ball doesn't make it to the hole. Either way, I am very pleased with Simonis cloth and will probably stay with it for my home table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
BayGene said:
I seem to recall a number of tournaments in the 90s-perhaps the Maine Shootout-at which Simonis 760, rather than 860, was used as more appropriate to 14.1. Does anybody recall this or have any theories on the two cloth speeds?
IIRC, originally, 760 was used for 9 ball tournaments, but the players felt it was too fast. That was probably aggravated by the newness of the cloth. After a few tournaments, 860 was used instead and has become the standard. I recall this as happening in the late 80s or early 90s.

I found that 760 on my home table played about the same as 860 in the pool hall. Damp basement?

Fool 4 Pool

Registered
I play on both regularly.

My home table has 760, and my league home table has 860. I live in the West in a low-humidity environment (6-15% is the avg). There is a slight but noticeable difference between the two, with 760 being faster. Difference isn't really noticeable except on shots where the most critical factor is the speed of the shot. I have missed a couple on Monday nights because I didn't have enough steam in the shot to get to the pocket, but it would have been a for-sure pot at home on the 760.
I prefer the 760, because it has helped my develop my speed touch and given me a smoother stroke. Pokes, jabs, and other speed / stroke problems are greatly amplified on a fast cloth, because that cue ball just keeps going and going. Takes a silky-smooth stroke and feather touch to play a good game. I like the 860, but I love the 760.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BayGene said:

I played a little semi-serious 14.1 and onepocket on 760 last night.
Easy GCIV - great table with girl pockets.

I am even more convinced than before.
760 is great for 3 cushion, but too fast for any game involving pockets

Dale

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
I found that 760 on my home table played about the same as 860 in the pool hall. Damp basement?

I also have 760 on my home table so as to better simulate the 860 in an A/C environment as opposed to my relatively warm and more humid basement. I do have a dehumidifier but it still seems to make for close play between the two.

I prefer straight pool and one pocket over 9 ball.

I agree with the comment that the faster cloth requires more precise touch.

Buddha's Belly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
humidity

I own a pool hall in Bali, and I used 760 before. they say is faster and design for humid place since the cloth it self is lighter and thinner. I just recovered my tables with 3030 tour edition fr Championship and its as fast ad took the abuse VERY well

Jedi V Man

Why yes I would......
Silver Member
If I had to choose a Simonis cloth, I'd take the 760 every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I like a faster table.

Being I have more choices, I use and will always use Championship Tour Edition cloth. It plays faster than 760 and last a heck of a lot longer than even 860.

My .02 cents....

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
We have a 760 table at our pool hall and I love it. It's definitely faster, though our worn 860 is a good speed. It's hard to put an estimate on it but I'd say it's 15-20% faster. I also notice that as it wears, it seems less prone to gullies and funny rolls and just seems less... worn.

In straight pool it's a dream because balls move away from the rack on the break shot nicely, you don't have to fight to get out of it. If you have one of those breaks that wants to just hit the side of the rack and die, it seems like it moves away an inch or three anyway which is usually what you need to make a side pocket shot available. On the other tables, maybe this is just a fluke, but in the same situations it's like the CB just won't move and you're screwed.

I hate to hit balls hard and it's nice to have a table where I feel like I seldom have to.

14oneman

Straight, no chaser!
Silver Member
I rarely play anything other than straight, and I agree with most here, that 760 is faster, and it is MUCH prefered for straight.
My 0.02.;)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bob Jewett said:
IIRC, originally, 760 was used for 9 ball tournaments, but the players felt it was too fast. That was probably aggravated by the newness of the cloth. After a few tournaments, 860 was used instead and has become the standard. I recall this as happening in the late 80s or early 90s.

QUOTE]

That what I remember,

760 is a bit fast for 9 ball for my liking, but for straight pool-my worst game its great.

tjlmbklr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know how the 760 compares to Granito tourny 2000 cloth? I had 860 (it wasn't the least humid room in the house) and it was way slower the the GT 2000 cloth used here at Romines in Milwaukee.

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
tjlmbklr said:
Anyone know how the 760 compares to Granito tourny 2000 cloth? I had 860 (it wasn't the least humid room in the house) and it was way slower the the GT 2000 cloth used here at Romines in Milwaukee.

It was my impression that 760 was a very small bit slower than the GT2000which a friend has on his table, and which I found to be very quick. VERY quick.

I prefer the 760. Seems more realistic... i.e. more like what I might find out there in the world.