South Bend Lathe

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an opportunity to buy a South Bend 9 with a 3 ½ bed. Right now I have a Cuesmith deluxe that I do everything on accept inlay work. I think I would like the precision of a true machining lathe but I don’t think this will do what I want? I could add a rear chuck for tip and ferrule work but with the small Ø3/4 through bore, no joint work. Also the bed length is too short to do anything else at full length.

Is there any other operations I could use this for? Somebody talk me out of this thing.

opiesbro

Big Al Customs
Silver Member
Save your $ as you will fine this more of a hassle in your shop then you gain. Tip work doesn't need a super accurate lathe.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
3/4' bore makes it a shaft work lathe only.
You can work on big pieces between centers or using the steady rest, but why bother?
SB9 also has a very small compound. Really a big fault of a lot of those old lathes. Even big Sheldons and Logans have relatively small compounds.
I say look for a Clausing 5900 series or Cincinnati .

Thomas Wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This would be about the 3rd or 4th lathe for you to buy, after you have a couple bigger, more robust units in your shop. It could be very handy for small parts and incidental operations, but far too limited for your first "real" lathe.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
"Somebody talk me out of this thing."

You don't need anymore convincing, you're doing a fine job.
But since you've asked; you don't want this lathe.

First off, it's a Southbend. They have soft ways and soft split-nuts.
Parts are outrageously expensive. You'd think you were buying parts for a Hardinge.
Honestly, I don't see this machine paying for itself in any type of cue-work
and I don't know the asking price. Seriously, there are tons of better machines.

KJ

BLACHEART42

Registered
I have 6 lathes. My 1st was a South Bend like yours. I had the spindle bored out to 1.33 ". I made Qs with that lathe for 2 yrs. Then I bought a Porper etc etc. I still use that lathe & it has served me well...

Jim Baxter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9x28 and it is in use a lot , making butt caps , cutting ring , turning squares round is just part of its duties , I could not do with out it . I also have 3 other lathes for J/ps and cues . Home made critter for J/ps and a Hightower Delux , along with a small metal lathe 6x14 . If the price is right , I'd get it . jim

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 6 lathes. My 1st was a South Bend like yours. I had the spindle bored out to 1.33 ". I made Qs with that lathe for 2 yrs. Then I bought a Porper etc etc. I still use that lathe & it has served me well...

Does anyone know if my Logan with a small bore spindle can be bored out? That would solve a lot of problems until I can locate a better lathe.

DanO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
$1200 and supposedly came out of a high school. If it had the 4 1/2 bed I think I'd jump but this will take up a lot of space for what I could utilize it for. Plus the small bore would drive me nuts.

Thanks gentlemen. It's nice to hear what real cuemakers are using real lathes for...

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Does anyone know if my Logan with a small bore spindle can be bored out? That would solve a lot of problems until I can locate a better lathe.

You can but, then your chuck would be clinging on air .
It won't be pretty when it lands on your lap.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can but, then your chuck would be clinging on air .
It won't be pretty when it lands on your lap.

Thanks, Joey. If figured as much, but wanted to be sure. I've got nothing into the lathe because a friend gave it to me.

I'm still kicking myself for not moving faster a on real nice Logan with the large bore, long bed and quick-change gearbox that came up on CL last winter. If I had called four hours sooner I'd have been the one getting it loaded on my truck instead of the other guy. $800, and it looked practically unused in the pics.

Haven't found anything like it at any price in CL searches covering NY and all of New England. No Clausings either. Frustrating.

pescadoman

Randy
Silver Member
Thanks, Joey. If figured as much, but wanted to be sure. I've got nothing into the lathe because a friend gave it to me.

I'm still kicking myself for not moving faster a on real nice Logan with the large bore, long bed and quick-change gearbox that came up on CL last winter. If I had called four hours sooner I'd have been the one getting it loaded on my truck instead of the other guy. $800, and it looked practically unused in the pics.

Haven't found anything like it at any price in CL searches covering NY and all of New England. No Clausings either. Frustrating.

I know of another Logan for 1150 in California if you are intested. 14x40 with the big enough bore...6550 5650...someting like that.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know of another Logan for 1150 in California if you are intested. 14x40 with the big enough bore...6550 5650...someting like that.

I would be very interested in it, but I'm 3000 miles away in NY. Great price if it's in good condition, though.

newguy99

http://www.palmercue.com/
Silver Member
I have 6 south bend 13 x 36 with hard beds the later ones had hard beds i have no problems with them 3 have custom bars we had made all adjustale for pro tapers from 10 to 15" iam setting up 2 more i also have alot of extra parts if anyone needs some the little lathe seem to be a pain when you have to change tools center /drills i find it pretty quick on a regular lathe just pop out the drill chuck and i have a chuck for every tool so its quick saves me alot of time