USA Mosconi Warmup? Unfair advantage?

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get that Matchroom is trying to level the field a bit. But USA gets tuneups in Russia and right before the Cup. Break rules were changed to favor USA.

At what point does it look awkward not to afford Europe some opportunities to play warmups as a team?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I get that Matchroom is trying to level the field a bit. But USA gets tuneups in Russia and right before the Cup. Break rules were changed to favor USA.

At what point does it look awkward not to afford Europe some opportunities to play warmups as a team?

What’s stopping them?

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What change?

What are the break rules and how did they change? I think the USA Team is playing against the best Euro Team they can pick from the 44 countries they have to choose from every year. That oughta level the playing field aplenty in favor of Team Europe!

I am not a big fan of some aspects of the Mosconi Cup. But, I am a big fan of about any thing that promotes pool, casts a good light on it and excites the fans. It also puts money in pool players and promoters pockets and I like that.

I like those Euro players and think they are great players. But, I am an American Patriot and I hope Team USA keeps Pool Great in America! Go Team USA! Kick some butt, if ya listen closely you can hear me cheering in Alaska.

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
What are the break rules and how did they change? I think the USA Team is playing against the best Euro Team they can pick from the 44 countries they have to choose from every year. That oughta level the playing field aplenty in favor of Team Europe!

I am not a big fan of some aspects of the Mosconi Cup. But, I am a big fan of about any thing that promotes pool, casts a good light on it and excites the fans. It also puts money in pool players and promoters pockets and I like that.

I like those Euro players and think they are great players. But, I am an American Patriot and I hope Team USA keeps Pool Great in America! Go Team USA! Kick some butt, if ya listen closely you can hear me cheering in Alaska.

I thought I heard something, I wasn't sure it was cheering...maybe it was Aurora Borealis?:cool:

Oze147

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think, that these warm ups are that important.

In the end Johan and Marcus have two decisions to make:

1. What are the best constellations for the doubles
2. What is the best order to sent my players to the table

The doubles can be practiced easily and it is more about the two team partners talking with each other and getting to know each other's playing style.

And for the order of play the warm ups even can be a disadvantage for team USA, because the Euros can get some informations here.

jeephawk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe can, of course...but a lot of planning goes into it. Just asking why Matchroom does it only for Team USA.

Only a guess, but more likely to get people to watch it, create a little buzz, and maybe trying to help them out a bit. Based on the technical issues, not sure about the planning part, lol. Seemed like more of a fun thing.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom is about making money!

In this instance it just happens to be a pool event that they are using to make the money.
There's the sponsors, Sky TV, % of sales at venue etc.

Up until last year it had been a bit of a 'no contest' for the preceeding half dozen years or so.
It being a 'no contest' affects Matchrooms earning potential and ultimately could affect the future of the event without major changes.

So Matchroom will do whatever they need to do to keep this event earning them money.

If that means playing fewer matches on days 1, 2 and 3, just to make sure it lasts 4 days they will.
They will do whatever they think it takes to make this a competitive event. That could include moving the 1 ball onto the spot cuz that's what the USA team is used to. Having pocket sizes that they deem to suit the USA team. Amending the selection process for the USA team. Also practice matches, more time together, etc, etc, etc

It is business. It is Matchroom's business. And they work really hard!

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In what sport when we pit country vs country is it worried how fair each teams practice is lol If Europe wants to do a 50 warm matches they can. There is no rule against . They can do whatever they want.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Btw the American team was doing this before match room decided to stream it.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europeans

have the Eurotour and other events

are taught solid fundamentals from an early age

cooler accents

can also play warm up matches if they choose

I still think they have the advantage.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They could easily play warmups, and I would guess that they already have played a warmup match against some of the #2 Europe team, probably offline! they can easily organise a match off streams in a practice poolhall to warm up.

The USA did it online, that's all there's to it my friend.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Europe can, of course...but a lot of planning goes into it. Just asking why Matchroom does it only for Team USA.
Yes, it is not so easy doing a public live stream warmup that replicate same conditions of Mosconi Cup cos it will (a) cost $$, planning /logistics (b) require Matchroom support whether in sponsorship, partners, equipment (Rasson, Aramith balls) .

Emily Frazer mentioned on stream that Team Europe does not have same opportunity to which Karl Boyes ribbed her saying she is biased
https://youtu.be/gd3axsi4m4s?t=4403
:)

Matchroom is about making money!

In this instance it just happens to be a pool event that they are using to make the money.
There's the sponsors, Sky TV, % of sales at venue etc.

Up until last year it had been a bit of a 'no contest' for the preceeding half dozen years or so.
It being a 'no contest' affects Matchrooms earning potential and ultimately could affect the future of the event without major changes.

So Matchroom will do whatever they need to do to keep this event earning them money.

If that means playing fewer matches on days 1, 2 and 3, just to make sure it lasts 4 days they will.
They will do whatever they think it takes to make this a competitive event. That could include moving the 1 ball onto the spot cuz that's what the USA team is used to. Having pocket sizes that they deem to suit the USA team. Amending the selection process for the USA team. Also practice matches, more time together, etc, etc, etc

It is business. It is Matchroom's business. And they work really hard!

+1. Good post. It is part of their business strategy- they need this property (Mosconi Cup) to be competitive/closely contested for it to continue to be a hit. So that together with their new hit (US Open), they can further push into US pool market and hopefully develop more new pool events.:)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Euro's have been out in LA. I'm sure they've been hittin' plenty of balls. This warm-up match will have ZERO effect on how this plays out.

Pete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I think that if you are living in the US or a citizen (making your living here) you should not be able to play for Europe...

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Euro's have been out in LA. I'm sure they've been hittin' plenty of balls. This warm-up match will have ZERO effect on how this plays out.

The Euros already having fun in Vegas :smile:

te.JPG

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
As winners of eight of the last nine cups, Europe should keep doing what they've been doing as far as preparation, rather than suddenly adopt the approach of Team USA.