Epoxy Clearcoat

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I’ve tried to find all relevant threads, and to search for good answers. What I’ve found is probably a bunch of outdated information. I’m not gonna link to one particular product, but it seems that the vast majority of new epoxy cast/mold products are claiming to be pure 100% clear when dried. They claim to be loaded with UV inhibitors in the resin and hardeners.

Has anyone tried one of these newer products for a clear coat? Their cured data claims are about what the old epoxies claimed to get to. There are, at least, 10 different companies making these so call ‘art’ style epoxies. Some seem more oriented for casting, while others seem more designed for thin clear coat applications.

Anyone have any feedback on these newer companies/resins?

Mcues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I’ve tried to find all relevant threads, and to search for good answers. What I’ve found is probably a bunch of outdated information. I’m not gonna link to one particular product, but it seems that the vast majority of new epoxy cast/mold products are claiming to be pure 100% clear when dried. They claim to be loaded with UV inhibitors in the resin and hardeners.

Has anyone tried one of these newer products for a clear coat? Their cured data claims are about what the old epoxies claimed to get to. There are, at least, 10 different companies making these so call ‘art’ style epoxies. Some seem more oriented for casting, while others seem more designed for thin clear coat applications.

Why don't you try a few and let us know how it works out :)

Mario

JC

Coos Cues

Do you have the names of some of these you're thinking about?

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
Is this so called water thin epoxy something other than West System? Tommy D.

JC

Coos Cues
So far I haven't seen nor heard of a product that works better than what Chris Hightower markets as cue coat.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
If you're really concerned about them yellowing over time, you might as well brush auto clear coat on top of the epoxy ( after fine sanding ).

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're really concerned about them yellowing over time, you might as well brush auto clear coat on top of the epoxy ( after fine sanding ).

No so much the yellowing, as more the final hardness of the finish. Some are claiming numbers I feel are much higher than their price reflects.