Finished instructions for installing and leveling 3-piece slates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack146

Registered
realkingcobra said:
A 4ft level is short when it comes to checking corner pocket to side pocket if you want, but yes, a 4ft will work.

Hey Glenn, Jack from Brooklyn. The Diamond table we got is just the best, but I have a question. I know you are talking about leveling a slate in a table being built, but let me ask about our table.

After installing the table, Andy was using a level that was only about a foot long, but he showed us how putting a dollar bill under the level on the table surface caused it to read as not level and then by just sliding the bill out the reading returned to level.

I think he was using a Starrett level, but am not sure; do you know what he was using?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
jack146 said:
Hey Glenn, Jack from Brooklyn. The Diamond table we got is just the best, but I have a question. I know you are talking about leveling a slate in a table being built, but let me ask about our table.

After installing the table, Andy was using a level that was only about a foot long, but he showed us how putting a dollar bill under the level on the table surface caused it to read as not level and then by just sliding the bill out the reading returned to level.

I think he was using a Starrett level, but am not sure; do you know what he was using?
Yes, it was a Starrett level. If you're looking to buy one, the 8 inch is around $115.00. Harbor Freight carries them I believe.

Glen

jack146

Registered
realkingcobra said:
Yes, it was a Starrett level. If you're looking to buy one, the 8 inch is around $115.00. Harbor Freight carries them I believe.

Glen

What would you say to buying a used 18" or a used 199 for about $100?

jack146

Registered
realkingcobra said:

Glen

We are talking in two different strings Glen, so I am going to ask this in both. Are you saying that the 8 inch is better suited for a pool table than any of the longer Starretts?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
jack146 said:
We are talking in two different strings Glen, so I am going to ask this in both. Are you saying that the 8 inch is better suited for a pool table than any of the longer Starretts?
Yes, the longer the level, the more it averages the reading of the slate, meaning the less transparent the highs and lows of the slate, or the hills and valleys if you will. To long, and the level works like a bridge over a swayback slate, or rocks on a high spot.

Glen

frankwhite

www.superiorbilliardtech.
Silver Member
realkingcobra said:

Glen

That is correct, just purchased two myself. Harbor Frieght is great!!!! I also purchased two Crown Staple guns @ 19.99 ea. how strong is that......LOL

Frankie

steveharn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Cobra Strikes

Glen, I've been thinking this was a DIY, you've blown that out of the water. Can't I just buy a used table and be careful moving it and set it back up without doing all this?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
steveharn said:
Glen, I've been thinking this was a DIY, you've blown that out of the water. Can't I just buy a used table and be careful moving it and set it back up without doing all this?

If its a 3 piece slate table....nope;)

Glen

fredd

How level is level?

Glen,

I just joined this forum and read your tutorial on leveling a 3-piece slate table (thanks for the very informative post). One thing you didn't mention is just how level a table needs to be to play well. I'm using a 15" Starrett (calibrated 0.0005" per foot)on a 4 foot carpenters level to adjust a 15 year old Brunswick Medalist and I'm noticing a 2 - 3 mil (0.002-0.003") variation just by walking from one end of the table to the other. The table is on a 3/4" oak floor with a 7/8" T&G sub-floor so I would expect that much flexure (I'm not exactly a light weight d8o). If the table is generally level within 0.005" will it play well without a significant roll-off? I seem to recall Brunswick advertising that their slate is machined flat to within a 0.010" tolerance. Is that the range, say +/- 0.005", I should be striving for?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
fredd said:
Glen,

I just joined this forum and read your tutorial on leveling a 3-piece slate table (thanks for the very informative post). One thing you didn't mention is just how level a table needs to be to play well. I'm using a 15" Starrett (calibrated 0.0005" per foot)on a 4 foot carpenters level to adjust a 15 year old Brunswick Medalist and I'm noticing a 2 - 3 mil (0.002-0.003") variation just by walking from one end of the table to the other. The table is on a 3/4" oak floor with a 7/8" T&G sub-floor so I would expect that much flexure (I'm not exactly a light weight d8o). If the table is generally level within 0.005" will it play well without a significant roll-off? I seem to recall Brunswick advertising that their slate is machined flat to within a 0.010" tolerance. Is that the range, say +/- 0.005", I should be striving for?
If the table is within 0.005" that's well within my spec's:)

Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.