last mosconi spot

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
What was the Dream Challenge against Russia for?

Was is about helping to decide on the team selection for the Mosconi Cup?
Or was it about winning the contest and the prize money?

If it was the latter. Then you would expect the coach to play his strongest team.
So would that explain why, from memory, Max was only picked for 1 singles match and 1 doubles match. Whilst Corey played in the opening team match, a singles match, and 3 doubles matches.

If it was about helping to decide team selection for the Mosconi Cup, then I think Max was not given an equal opportunity to show his talents as the others.

Yes, it was chiefly for team selection, but also served as a Mosconi tune up match. Difficult to say anything about the lineup selection, but I assume Johan and Jeremy had their reasons for the choices they made.

wayne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If it is still a tough choice between Corey and Max after the International I would suggest they have them play some sets against each other Mosconi cup style. Maybe races to 5 with the first to win 4 sets gets the last spot.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wonder if Willie Mosconi would have ever been picked for the team.

He wasn't known as a 9-ball player.

:)

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cory or max. Cory has a better history of nine ball. Max has zen.
Did you hear about the Zen master who walked up to a hot dog vender and said make me one with everything.

Yes.

The vendor said, "I have no concept of everything".

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I had no faith in Deuel before he played and my thoughts were justified.

I don't watch a lot of pro pool but what I have, that guy has never impressed me as a top tier player.

I must guess that you are young. Corey was one of the best few in the world early in his career. His credentials will land him in the BCA Hall of Fame one day.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Adapted form a previous post of mine.

As a refresher the Kremlin Cup, played in September, was a two stage tournament played in Russia, and the field was almost exclusively made up of the American Mosconi candidates and a few dozen Europeans, with Asia largely absent. It was won by Tyler Styer. The Dream Challenge, played just after the completion of the Kremlin Cup was a Team Russia vs Team USA event. It was won 10-7 by Team USA.

In the Kremlin Cup, Gorst beat Woodward 8-2 and Deuel 8-4. If Johan is paying attention, the Dream Challenge victory by Eberle over Gorst will be judged to be a very big deal. Corey's double hill loss to Gorst in the Dream Challenge should help his case.

The case for Deuel is growing weaker and weaker, as he was 0-2 in singles a year ago at the Mosconi , losing to Ouschan 5-3 and Feijen 5-1. He lost to Team Europe member Alex Kazakis at the last World 9-ball Championships by 11-8. At the US Open, Corey fell to Jayson Shaw 11-1 and lost 11-2 to Miesko Fortunski, another one of Europe's best. After the drubbing by Fedor Gorst in the Kremlin Cup, Corey probably has much to worry about, as he continues to show little ability to beat the stars of European pool.

As a fan of Team USA, I want the guys who can fight the good fight against the top Europeans. In the Kremlin Cup/Dream Challenge events. Eberle lost double hill to Ruslan Chinakhov and beat Fedor Gorst double hill. Max showed generally solid form for the entire Kremlin Cup event, too.

If we consider 2019 alone, it's really hard to justify picking Corey over Max if Johan is basing Mosconi selection on competitive performance. Corey just hasn't been getting it done against the top Europeans.

I see Deuel on the outside looking in as far as Mosconi selection, but a solid effort at the International would change everything. If Corey's play is ordinary at the International but he's picked anyway we'll know that Max Eberle's inclusion in the matches of the last couple of weeks was merely for show and that Corey was always going to be selected.

All of that said, it would be great if Corey rediscovered his form at the International, and I think he'll need to play well against a top European player to redeem himself.

Sending in-form players to the Mosconi has always been the winning formula for Team Europe, which has dominated the past decade of the event. Hopefully, Team USA will do the same.

I am not sure Max can win against Chris Robinson long-term, and from what I saw at Derby.. Chris looked to have been playing about even with Omar Al-Shaheen, as Omar tried to spot Chris a few games, and got absolutely murdered.

Chris's fundamentals are pretty close to Tyler's from what I saw. And didn't Chris win a big (non-major) 9 foot event in California last year?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I am not sure Max can win against Chris Robinson long-term, and from what I saw at Derby.. Chris looked to have been playing about even with Omar Al-Shaheen, as Omar tried to spot Chris a few games, and got absolutely murdered.

Chris's fundamentals are pretty close to Tyler's from what I saw. And didn't Chris win a big (non-major) 9 foot event in California last year?

I doubt in a long match against any of Corey Deuel, Chris Robinson, Justin Bergman or Josh Roberts, that Max would be favored but he, impressively, has played his way into contention for the fifth and final spot on this year's team, and right now, he looks the favorite to gain that spot.

Chris Robinson, by the way, won a Mezz West Tour Stop, which is no small feat.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Max didn't play in the World 9-ball championships in 2018, but in the US Open he won two, lost two and didn't play against either Corey or a top European. Deuel, similarly, won two and lost two, but was crushed 11-1 by Shaw of Scotland and 11-2 by Fortunski of Poland.

I am not aware of a matchup between Corey and Max this year. If you know of one, let me know.

The point I've made, with many, many examples is that Corey has been bombing against the top European players for a year now. If that's what you're looking for on Team USA, he's your guy. Max hasn't dominated the top Europeans either, but his track record against them outshines Corey, who just can't seem to beat them.

Corey has had a hall of fame career and it would be a wonderful story if he finds his hall of fame form at the International, because an in-top-form Corey would help Team USA more than having Max Eberle on the team. I'll be rooting for this to happen, but unless he plays well at the International, Corey's selection would be puzzling, at least to me.

Wishing both Corey and Max the best of luck in chasing down that last spot.

To call a spade a spade... Corey is at his core, MUCH the better player than Max....

When he practices. But that's the thing. Corey seems to have a hard time finding the motivation to practice as much as he needs to. Corey is the type of dude, that if he gets a wild hair up his butt, and something causes him to want to "prove" himself.... He'll practice and immediately recover a few balls worth of playing skill.

From my time hanging out with him and the rest of the team last year in Leende, Corey now seems to overly cautious, not just in pool, but in life. The sort of person who will physically stop and look both ways before he crosses a dead empty street at 2am in the morning. Not look both ways as he is walking towards the street. I witnessed this personally, and the rest of the team ribbed him good naturedly about it.

The problem is... I see that in his game, as well. He never looks super sure on the tougher positions and shots, even when he ends up making them. I think he might have lost that burning desire that is usually present in younger players. I think in his younger days, there would have been no comparison between the two players, and we are simply at the point where we are picking the best of two fairly "modest" choices. (That was the best way I could politely say what I am thinking.)

I have a feeling that, even if Corey DOES practice, he's practicing his pet shots, and other various "awesome" shots. But... Is he practicing the cut break with the 9 on the spot? Is he practicing "fun" shots? Or is he practicing a thin safety from 8 1/2 feet away on a ball in the middle of the top rail? The sort of stuff he is gonna have to deal with over and over against the Euros? Who knows.

Last edited:

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I doubt in a long match against any of Corey Deuel, Chris Robinson, Justin Bergman or Josh Roberts, that Max would be favored but he, impressively, has played his way into contention for the fifth and final spot on this year's team, and right now, he looks the favorite to gain that spot.

Mezz West? Corey quit the kiddie pool a long time ago.

I dont give a shit! I'll take Corey over any of these guys any day.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

was josh or chris ever considered? i know max beat bergman

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Mezz West? Corey quit the kiddie pool a long time ago.

I dont give a shit! I'll take Corey over any of these guys any day.

Your confidence in Deuel, though admirable, does not stand up to scrutiny.

I think Bergman would be favored by quite a bit to win a long race over Corey on a nine foot table. Justin easily handled Kevin Cheng in a long, high stakes, race at Derby City this year, and Kevin's a much tougher assignment than Corey right now. How good a player is Kevin Cheng? Not the easiest comparison, as Cheng rarely competes in the US. Still, Cheng won a WPA title this year over a killer field in April at the WPA Players Championship, an event in which Deuel finished 17th. Kevin also finished 6th in the nine ball event at Derby City, an event in which Corey came 65th. At the World 10-ball Championship, Cheng came 9th and Deuel came 33rd.

In a race to 100 between Deuel and Bergman, you might be entitled to 8:5 odds if Deuel is your man. Also, don't overlook that over the last few years, Bergman has played well in the Mosconi Cup, while Deuel has struggled mightily.

For a fairly even match on a nine footer, Bergman and Deuel have to play one pocket.

Buddy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm Dont forget Corey beat Justin in their 8ball challenge match a couple of months ago

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
was josh or chris ever considered? i know max beat bergman

Robinson was one of 4 (with Eberle, Bergman, and Parris) who played challenge matches in Las Vegas in July to determine which one of those 4 would join Thorpe, Deuel, and Styer as candidates for the 3 open team slots at that point (Van Boening and Woodward had already been chosen).

But I do not know what criteria Ruijsink/Jones used in choosing those 4 for consideration in July.

http://www.matchroompool.com/news/eberle-team-usa-contention-partypoker-mosconi-cup/

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bergman has played well in the Mosconi Cup, while Deuel has struggled mightily.

Bergman might be a better Mosconi Cup choice, but let’s not overstate it. Bergman played in the 2014-2016 Mosconi Cups, and has a singles record of 1 W and 7 L. Of course, most all of them have a similar record from that era.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I must guess that you are young. Corey was one of the best few in the world early in his career. His credentials will land him in the BCA Hall of Fame one day.

I just got back into pool about 10 years ago. I only started watching the pros play in the last 5 or so. All the pro pool I've watched, a couch potato could watch in a few evenings.

Next year I will officially be old.

I love watching the Mosconi Cup. Last year was the first year I saw most of it. I don't have cable or satellite TV, I watch mostly watch real people doing hobbies on you tube.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Bergman might be a better Mosconi Cup choice, but let’s not overstate it. Bergman played in the 2014-2016 Mosconi Cups, and has a singles record of 1 W and 7 L. Of course, most all of them have a similar record from that era.

Yes, point well taken that everyone got creamed in singles, but Justin passed the eye test and was, perhaps, the only team member that tended to play up to his speed.

In my recap of the 2016 Mosconi, posted just upon its completion, in which I rated the play of every player, here's what I wrote about Bergman.

Justin Bergman
Bergman was solid most of the way, and was, by a mile, Team USA’s best player. To be fair, Justin does not break as well as some of the game’s top players and it threatens to hold him back from contention in the biggest events in pool. Still, Justin is the real deal, and he’s the only member of Team USA to whom one can possibly say “well played.” Justin’s all around game should inspire other members and aspiring members of Team USA. Justin’s formula has been simple ---- he has become proficient in all the games, a dangerous opponent in all of pool’s major disciplines. He has a really nice blend of power and finesse. Two young players with a trajectory similar to that of Justin because of their all around skills are Skyler Woodward and, even more so, Billy Thorpe

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

From my thread on career records of all Mosconi Cup players:

• Justin Bergman (3 yrs. -- 2014-2016) ..... 1-5 s, 4-3 d, 1-2 t, 6-10 total A (38%), 3.2-6.9 total B (32%)

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When it comes to who is a better choice Corey Deuel or Max Eberle in the team this year...
Well I didn't watch any matches they played in the Kremlin Cup yet but I'm going to watch a hill-hill match Ruslan vs Max. At least I have an interest.
What I did watch closely are those both great matches vs young talent Fedor Gorst during Dream challenge. Both were great battles which ended up in the deciders. And if to be short the truth is very cruel in this sport...when you have your chance on a finish line you either take it or you fail and lose. I guess I know this sport good enough to say this crucial difference comes from what is in your head and your heart. Long story short Corey failed being on the finish line and Max closed the deal...

Do you know there was also something like training camp Johan held during this time USA team was in Moscow with all the USA team participants and the Russian team with those who participated in Dream challenge. There was one exception for my countryman Vitaliy Patsura who participated too. One of the reasons there were 6 americans and 5 russians = 11 and Johan needed an even number of participants because he divided them in pairs with 1 american and 1 russian in each pair. Vitaliy practised in pair with Max Eberle. Being young talented player one of the Billiard brothers and a good friend also helped. So as Vitaliy is also a friend of mine and practices in the same place I work...well we had some talk when he came back from Moscow and I have some insight info when it comes to their practise sessions and how certain players performed in certain aspects of the game. With my respect to all the players and to Johan I don't think it is right to discuss certain things. So I can say only about my opinion based on what I've already noticed watching certain players performance under pressure.
There are certain things helping me in understanding what difficulties the player may have. If you have enough experience in the game and remember your best times as a player...how it felt in matches on certain shots when you had a better stroke and how it feels now when you're just not as relaxed and confident when you face them under pressure. BTW I was born in 1977 too;).
It will be interesting to watch how both Corey and Max perform at the International Open.
At least it does not seem this year like Marcus Chamat has much easier task with choosing 2 wild-cards than Johan has with his fifth spot (imo).

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
When it comes to who is a better choice Corey Deuel or Max Eberle in the team this year...
Well I didn't watch any matches they played in the Kremlin Cup yet but I'm going to watch a hill-hill match Ruslan vs Max. At least I have an interest.
What I did watch closely are those both great matches vs young talent Fedor Gorst during Dream challenge. Both were great battles which ended up in the deciders. And if to be short the truth is very cruel in this sport...when you have your chance on a finish line you either take it or you fail and lose. I guess I know this sport good enough to say this crucial difference comes from what is in your head and your heart. Long story short Corey failed being on the finish line and Max closed the deal...

Do you know there was also something like training camp Johan held during this time USA team was in Moscow with all the USA team participants and the Russian team with those who participated in Dream challenge. There was one exception for my countryman Vitaliy Patsura who participated too. One of the reasons there were 6 americans and 5 russians = 11 and Johan needed an even number of participants because he divided them in pairs with 1 american and 1 russian in each pair. Vitaliy practised in pair with Max Eberle. Being young talented player one of the Billiard brothers and a good friend also helped. So as Vitaliy is also a friend of mine and practices in the same place I work...well we had some talk when he came back from Moscow and I have some insight info when it comes to their practise sessions and how certain players performed in certain aspects of the game. With my respect to all the players and to Johan I don't think it is right to discuss certain things. So I can say only about my opinion based on what I've already noticed watching certain players performance under pressure.
There are certain things helping me in understanding what difficulties the player may have. If you have enough experience in the game and remember your best times as a player...how it felt in matches on certain shots when you had a better stroke and how it feels now when you're just not as relaxed and confident when you face them under pressure. BTW I was born in 1977 too;).
It will be interesting to watch how both Corey and Max perform at the International Open.
At least it does not seem this year like Marcus Chamat has much easier task with choosing 2 wild-cards than Johan has with his fifth spot (imo).

Well said. America's best case scenario is that Deuel finds his very best game at the International, finishing high and beating at least one of the elite Europeans along the way. I doubt anyone questions that Corey's "A" game is higher than Eberle's "A" game, but what ultimately matters in assembling the best possible Team USA is who is in better form right now. For the moment, the answer is Eberle, but we all know this can change.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know that we have a better analyst of pool players on here than SJM. And he can back up everything he says with clear recollections of matches each respective player has been in. We are fortunate to have people like him and AtLarge with his stats and Mike Page with Fargo Rate to keep us informed about the relative skills of our top players. They are a Godsend in a sport with no clear organizing body to keep records of all our major competitions.

As for little old me I have my own thoughts about the two players in question here. IMO Corey for whatever reason does not seem to perform at his best in the MC. In other tournament's I have seen him play brilliantly but not at the MC. Max on the other hand has been a career grinder, never reaching the illustrious heights that Corey has. Also for some unknown reason (maybe Johann and JJ?) Max appears to be playing the best pool of his life right now. Eccentricities aside I'd like to see him get his chance on the world stage. I think he's ready, and what a great story that would be if a 47 year old 'rookie' helped Team USA hold onto the title.

Last edited: