10 ball defense break?

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried this? Thin the 1 and come behind the pack, you might freeze against a ball and get ball in hand.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Has anyone tried this? Thin the 1 and come behind the pack, you might freeze against a ball and get ball in hand.
The rules of 10 ball require you to drive four object balls to cushion, IIRC. Have you tried a soft break that complies with that rule?

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of these type of Corey Deuel shenanigans. If Corey had focused on just working on his break rather than trying to figure out gimmicks... He would have won twice the amount of tournaments..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

You can safe break in 10 ball and still break at medium-soft speeds. Only problem is cb/ob collision from corner balls coming around.

Do a cut-style of break and try to put cb on foot rail. If you can get cb there without a wreck, the 10 ball and balls either side of it will be your blockers.

You also have to worry about not making a ball in the side.

Having said that, why not just make a ball on the break and then play safe if you don't have a good offensive shot? I think this option is best.

Jeff

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo, the reason you don't see unconventional breaks used by the top level players is because they aren't more successful that conventional ones.

Like many things, what is used are the best practices, derived from much game play over time.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of these type of Corey Deuel shenanigans. If Corey had focused on just working on his break rather than trying to figure out gimmicks... He would have won twice the amount of tournaments..

The gimmicks are probably what interested him. He won tons of cash and rode pretty high for a long time.

I love critiques from a guy about how a pro should have won more. How many US Open titles do you have Russ?

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The gimmicks are probably what interested him. He won tons of cash and rode pretty high for a long time.

I love critiques from a guy about how a pro should have won more. How many US Open titles do you have Russ?

Execution and knowledge arent dependent upon each other, you know that.

The NFL/ MLB have many examples of coaches who never won the big one as players.

And anyway, gotta be part nuts to whole hog into pool, once you're a few years into adulthood.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's funny is there's a better argument to be made that Corey would have won LESS without the breaking shenanigans. His soft break won him many tourneys until the rules and other players caught on.

highkarate

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Imo, the reason you don't see unconventional breaks used by the top level players is because they aren't more successful that conventional ones.

Like many things, what is used are the best practices, derived from much game play over time.
Agreed, it's like chess theory. There's a reason book moves are book moves.

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

IMO even if you could achieve this and the break be legal by driving enough balls to the rail, how can you get BIH when your opponent still has the option of a push out.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

If I was gambling at 10-ball...and my opponent wanted to break safe...
...I would not only let him....I’d ask to raise the price.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I almost tried a safe break in 9 ball in this tourney with terrible racks,balls,cloth. I couldn’t make a consistent ball at all and it was looser break so I was stuck opening the balls for someone else. I didn’t try since I’d never practiced but I will now in case I see this same situation again. Pretty sad state of affairs

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
If I was gambling at 10-ball...and my opponent wanted to break safe...
...I would not only let him....I’d ask to raise the price.

I knew some savvy poster like yourself would come to the rescue.

I agree, if you have the breaks, and then you are basically giving it up. You are saying "no thanks" and then handing it over to your opponent. Why on earth would anyone do that? Why would someone NOT want the breaks.

I mean, if you are playing SVB, and you break dry, he's gonna run on you. So what. At least if you make something, you control the game from the beginning. Seems counterproductive.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Can we make 10 ball more like straight pool? What are you doing to do with your ball in hand? Break them out? You could have just done that on the first try.

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pocketing 2-3 balls on the break, sticking the cue ball, and playing the one in front of the top corner pocket with shape that is as good as ball in hand seems to be the preferred approach.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
there are a lot of scenarios where a non runout player can do much better by playing safe on the break.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
there are a lot of scenarios where a non runout player can do much better by playing safe on the break.

Except for the fact safe breaks are not allowed in every rule and event I have seen, are hard to execute to get a legal break and there is a push-out option for the incoming player.

I have had a few people try to do a softer break in 8 ball to leave clusters for me, I still won pretty much all of the games.

If you can't out-shoot a better player, there is a very good chance you can't out-move the better player either. I've seen some players that clearly had league 8 ball practice where they wanted to block pockets as much at make shots, that stuff does not work very well on good players, just like doing odd breaks to try to mess with a player. Unless you are playing some beginner or bar fly, you are likely to get into the trap you are trying to setup.

Last edited: