Grip question for Dr. Dave

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Oh

i guess I was just speaking too academically. Adios rule guru's and metaphysical book scholars.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No not really that at all, Dr. Dave seems genuine enough and probably not a bad dude, I just do not care for the recommended for u stuff. What is really bizarre is he prolly makes alot more denaro with his pitch about what amateurs do wrong than I do giving pool lessons. I guarantee I can run circles round him when it comes to billiard instruction, just as I am sure he has more books on billiards than i do. I will decide what is recommended for me, when i see 'recommended for you' I never click it (even if I am interested.) I guess I don't belong on social media is probably the best answer. Maybe that will change, as it's mostly fake news anyhue. An amateur trying to teach me bout anythin pool related is definitely fake news. I guess he has a contract with you tube and they thought it might interest me - they were wrong.
Dave explained that he had nothing to do with that - it's something that YouTube does without asking permission from him (they "recommend" it to lots of people who show interest in pool). Maybe you missed that.

I know Dave, and I'm sure he knows more "pool science" than you (or just about anybody), but I'm also sure he knows you (and all pros) play better than he does. He's a realistic, humble and good guy.

pj
chgo

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are balls and nodeflection the same person?????

I would almost bet on it.

Even if they aren't the same person, they're definitely have the same thought process and personality.....lol....yeah, scary thought for sure.

Jeff

Balls

Big Brass Balls
Silver Member
I would almost bet on it.

Even if they aren't the same person, they're definitely have the same thought process and personality.....lol....yeah, scary thought for sure.

Jeff

"If I had plenty of money, I would probably lose more often."

Do you like being wrong?

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
One Pocket

I just asked John the same question. He just laughed. You gonna be at the American 14.1 Danny?

I hear u like to play One Pocket and live close to me, I mostly play One Pocket and bank pool now a days and no I don't think I will travel to nyc the big app' to play in their rich man's event. Room rates there are like $300.00 per night (what a joke). I would rather play bank pool anywhere u wish for friendly bet Patrick ( i hear u like to play at your house on your table that has like 5" pockets ha ha. I no play one pocket on that table but I guess u could twist my arm to play some full rack bank for decent amount if ur even feellin frogy or even scholarly let me know. Oops this message was meant for Mr. Johnson although I would imagine he knows the science of sayin no thanks. :-0

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I don't think I will travel to nyc the big app' to play in their rich man's event. ...
The American 14.1 is in Virginia Beach at Q-Master's this year just before the International Open 9-Ball in Norfolk. The special room rate at the nearby La Quinta is $65/night including taxes.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who holds the cue light on a break shot? I'd like my cue to have some force and not fly out of my hand because I did not grip it on the follow through enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQYNvEPi9-s

OK I was going to be silent but this comment forces me into a confession.
For the last 9 months my grip pressure is nearly zero. Nearly only resting on top of my index finger.

I'm playing only 3C and my cue weight is around 16OZ, with a sticky rubber grip.

I have no problem sending the ball 8 rails after a ball is hit. 9 rail banks aren't a problem either. 10 rails is possible. I've never been able to get 11 no matter cue weight or tighter grip pressure.

This doesn't prove anything other than its possible to strike a heavier CB with adequate power using a light cue and grip.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
Who holds the cue light on a break shot? I'd like my cue to have some force and not fly out of my hand because I did not grip it on the follow through enough.

I hold it as lightly as possible. The lighter my grip, the more powerful my break. I think it’s just a personal style/makeup type thing. I break my best with a heavier cue and slower light gripped stroke, but I’ve heard plenty of people say they break best with a lighter cue swinging fast. Some use a white knuckle grip and still do ok.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK I was going to be silent but this comment forces me into a confession.
For the last 9 months my grip pressure is nearly zero. Nearly only resting on top of my index finger.

I'm playing only 3C and my cue weight is around 16OZ, with a sticky rubber grip.

I have no problem sending the ball 8 rails after a ball is hit. 9 rail banks aren't a problem either. 10 rails is possible. I've never been able to get 11 no matter cue weight or tighter grip pressure.

This doesn't prove anything other than its possible to strike a heavier CB with adequate power using a light cue and grip.

If you keep that grip that light on the shot, the cue will fly out of your hand, it has to tighten or the force will just slip it trough no matter what you use for a grip unless you tie the cue to your wrist. You can't basically toss something forward and not grab it tight unless you want it leaving your hand. Loose wrist, yes, holding the cue with two fingers on a break, that won't work unless you hit at very low power.

Last edited:

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That vid is funny.

As for light grip. For me, I hold the cue extremely loose on break during pre stokes all the way up till "right before or at contact with cb"....at that point I quickly (as fast and hard as I can) tighten my grip hand to add a little more speed (power) to my break.

That may be what they do. I'm not sure but, that's what I have always done.

BTW, my break cues weigh between 16 oz and 17 oz.

If you use a heavy break cue, not sure that works. I dunno cause I've never spent enough time with a heavy break cue.

In the end, whatever you do, if it works don't try to fix it.

Jeff

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I keep my grip loose throughout and I think I only tighten after the ball is struck. Watching video of myself the cue often slips forward. On pressure shots, long distance requiring extreme focus I’ve been known to let the cue slip all the way out of my grip hand lol. Not often but it does happen. Those shots always go though.