Looking to purchase a cue.. J Pechauer Cues any good

TheCutMaster

Registered
Hi All,

I've been looking at hundreds of cues from anyone from Mezz, Mercci, Lucasi, OB, Joss, Schon, Jacoby, Predator etc...

I think I've looked at so many I am almost about to just not buy one haha. I was checking out J. Pechauer cues and they seem to be very nice.

I am looking to spend about 700 plus and i have come to the realization that when spending this kind of money I don't think its possible to buy a "bad cue".

Just looking to see if anyone can provide some insight since (ive been out of the loop on who's making good cues these days) or maybe just someone to tell me im being ridiculous and to just make a decision :)

Thanks!

kempf80

Registered
With that kind of budget it might be worthwhile to go test the cues you mentioned. People in poolhalls might let you test their cues also. There's nothing more embarrassing than spending a ton of money into something that you don't like. Price shouldn't be a factor anyway since the cheapest Lucasi cues or Players HXT-models are good for years and years. If on the other hand you want nice inlays and exotic woods on top of that premium brand cue. $1000 might not be too much. Basically the more time you can spend trying out various kinds of cues, the better your stick is going to turn out and you'll be happier. My vote is on Mezz, Pechauer, Adam, and the cheaper McDermott & Lucasi come after that. Anything over $400 should be good but preferences vary so good luck. :)

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi All,

I've been looking at hundreds of cues from anyone from Mezz, Mercci, Lucasi, OB, Joss, Schon, Jacoby, Predator etc...

I think I've looked at so many I am almost about to just not buy one haha. I was checking out J. Pechauer cues and they seem to be very nice.

I am looking to spend about 700 plus and i have come to the realization that when spending this kind of money I don't think its possible to buy a "bad cue".

Just looking to see if anyone can provide some insight since (ive been out of the loop on who's making good cues these days) or maybe just someone to tell me im being ridiculous and to just make a decision :)

Thanks!

Buying cues are fun.
Just my own experience. Cannot go wrong with a Predator, Pechauer or Schon. I have dealt with Seyberts for each. Any issue and they are there for you 100%. Do not think you will buy one and done. It is a curse. If you think you are being ridiculous...please take your place in line. Welcome to the club. Welcome to Azb.

Last edited:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had quite a few production cues over the past few years and your list has some of the best cues there are. Mezz is top notch, build quality and finish are simply the best there out there. Predators, Schons and Pechauers are also a safe bet, you'd be hard pressed to find a cue that plays terrible from those makers.

I would however stay away from OB. Their build quality has been quite disappointing from what I have come across. Opinions may differ but thats what I've got :eek:

Let us know what you end up with :)

TheCutMaster

Registered
With that kind of budget it might be worthwhile to go test the cues you mentioned. People in poolhalls might let you test their cues also. There's nothing more embarrassing than spending a ton of money into something that you don't like. Price shouldn't be a factor anyway since the cheapest Lucasi cues or Players HXT-models are good for years and years. If on the other hand you want nice inlays and exotic woods on top of that premium brand cue. $1000 might not be too much. Basically the more time you can spend trying out various kinds of cues, the better your stick is going to turn out and you'll be happier. My vote is on Mezz, Pechauer, Adam, and the cheaper McDermott & Lucasi come after that. Anything over $400 should be good but preferences vary so good luck. :)

Unfortunately all the pool halls have closed that i used to play at and there is only one pool store close to me so i was able to hit a few Viking cues and Mcdermott's. But thats about all i can physically get my hands on in my area. I actually have an old players cue that my uncle bought for me like 15 years ago. I doubt it was more then 100 dollars but it none the less has served me well when i played in competitions in the past. My father always tell me " its not the arrow, its the Indian" lol. But i think i deserve to get a cooler looking stick with the nicer inlays. IM not looking to buy this stick and become a professional over night.

Buying cues are fun.
Just my own experience. Cannot go wrong with a Predator, Pechauer or Schon. I have dealt with Seyberts for each. Any issue and they are there for you 100%. Do not think you will buy one and done. It is a curse. If you think you are being ridiculous...please take your place in line. Welcome to the club. Welcome to Azb.

Thanks for making my craziness feel normal! Its good to be around like minded people.

I have had quite a few production cues over the past few years and your list has some of the best cues there are. Mezz is top notch, build quality and finish are simply the best there out there. Predators, Schons and Pechauers are also a safe bet, you'd be hard pressed to find a cue that plays terrible from those makers.

I would however stay away from OB. Their build quality has been quite disappointing from what I have come across. Opinions may differ but thats what I've got :eek:

Let us know what you end up with :)

Thank you very much for the insight. I just started looking at some of the brands a remember being good but have heard that OB had some quality issues (i think i heard this about mezz too but that may have been resolved) so wanted to ask some of the people that follow the industry closer then i have.

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would check out the for sale section, I haven't owned a Pechauer, but have heard good things.

Out the names you mentioned I would go with mezz or Schon.
I am not near as knowledgeable as some, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt

TheCutMaster

Registered
I would check out the for sale section, I haven't owned a Pechauer, but have heard good things.

Out the names you mentioned I would go with mezz or Schon.
I am not near as knowledgeable as some, so take my recommendations with a grain of salt

I appreciate the suggestions. I am by no means an expert either! I look in that section and saw a lot of names i didn't know which would could only mean they're custom cue makers so i wouldn't even know where to start there.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with everything in this post. Very sound advice. :)

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I appreciate the suggestions. I am by no means an expert either! I look in that section and saw a lot of names i didn't know which would could only mean they're custom cue makers so i wouldn't even know where to start there.

I had a Mezz "sneaky" that wasn't all that sneaky,;) but played, and felt as nice as any cue I've owned to date. The woods were beautiful, and the feel of the machining between the joint screw, and shaft thread, was as nice as anything I have seen. It felt like a well made custom. Let the madness begin!
GLWYSearch. :thumbup:

eihi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a beautiful highly figured mezz cocobolo sneaky in the for sales right now, I though about mentioning it, but not sure the type of cue OP would like, I mean his choice of design, or wrap. I don't know the seller or even if it's a good.deal. But it aways catches my eye but I.am partial to sneaky pete designs though.

OP might not yet know.either

Cutmaster, where do you play mostly, home table, the bar, pool hall?
How long you been playing?

Last edited:

TheCutMaster

Registered
I had a Mezz "sneaky" that wasn't all that sneaky,;) but played, and felt as nice as any cue I've owned to date. The woods were beautiful, and the feel of the machining between the joint screw, and shaft thread, was as nice as anything I have seen. It felt like a well made custom. Let the madness begin!
GLWYSearch

Thank you! I am definitely considering Mezz in my opinion based on the opinions on this site.

There is a beautiful highly figured mezz cocobolo sneaky in the for sales right now, I though about mentioning it, but not sure the type of cue OP would like, I mean his choice of design, or wrap. I don't know the seller or even if it's a good.deal. But it aways catches my eye but I.am partial to sneaky pete designs though.

OP might not yet know.either

Cutmaster, where do you play mostly, home table, the bar, pool hall?
How long you been playing?

I have no aversion to sneaky cues. I have s buddy with a Lucasi sneaky and I think it's pretty nice and subtle. I've played with it a bunch.

I play mostly at bars and home tables. Used to play in league for years but had to stop due to work but I've kept playing for fun. Been playing for about 15 years now.

Cue collecting. One day you will realize you need another cue like snail needs airbrakes.

LMAO I totally agree which is why this will likely be my only purchase besides a break cue. I don't plan to collect, I want one nice one and that should hold me over till I hot the lottery and can afford to collect!

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The big .850" joint collar diamer is anoying. It means most aftermarket shaft will not be flush with your Pechauer cue. The pin is kind of a bastard pin, but it's easily fixed.
That Pechauer cant decied if the want to make flat faced or piloted cues is also anoying.

TheCutMaster

Registered
The big .850" joint collar diamer is anoying. It means most aftermarket shaft will not be flush with your Pechauer cue. The pin is kind of a bastard pin, but it's easily fixed.
That Pechauer cant decied if the want to make flat faced or piloted cues is also anoying.

Oh really? So unless i buy a Pechauer shaft it will not look flush up at the joint? That might be an issue because my thought was that once i buy a nice butt i can change the shafts out if I hate them as long as i get a popular joint thread/size etc. If that's the case that might rule out getting one of these.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Oh really? So unless i buy a Pechauer shaft it will not look flush up at the joint? That might be an issue because my thought was that once i buy a nice butt i can change the shafts out if I hate them as long as i get a popular joint thread/size etc. If that's the case that might rule out getting one of these.

If you are thinking production. Save yourself the agony, and go with Mezz. :cool:

Kimmo H.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are thinking production. Save yourself the agony, and go with Mezz. :cool:

And preferably with the United joint if you want to be able to use other manufacturers shafts on your cue. 5/16x14 shafts fit on the United joint butts and the joint diameter matches well with Predator shafts for example. The wavy joint Mezz cues are harder to use other than Mezz shafts on as the joint pin is proprietary to Mezz.
Sneaky petes (MSP serie), ZZ, MI and EC7 series all use the united joint if that helps with your search.
That said you may not even want to try another makers shaft after playing with the Mezz as their own shafts do play rather well ;)

Menelaus10

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've owned two Pechauer cues over the years, one with a phenolic joint & one with an ivory joint, both played very well. I also ordered a second shaft for the one, and the shaft was very well made. Pechauer's are nice cues pick the look you like, and can afford, and enjoy.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
It is not the Cue that makes the player or person sink balls, get position, runs racks. It is skill, and knowledge. How is your skill & knowledge?:confused:

JMHO

BTW a McDermott will work if you want a good quality stick, need nothing more.

IMHO