1972 Josswest & Fellini Case " Closet Find "

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
I met a older gentleman about 7 years ago that had a cue and case he didn't use in his closet. I asked him to bring it in and he did. He purchased the cue & case in 1972 at The Rack Pool Room in Detroit, Mich. He told me Cornbread Red & Jimmy Mataya and a few other Hustlers were there. He purchased the cue from Bill Stroud as he had a table set up there selling cues and cases. As the pictures show it is a Bumperless Josswest with a Brown Lizard Fellini case. He wasn't interested with parting with it back then. He comes into my Billiards Store now and then and I always asked if he still has the Josswest. As always he said yes and we would talk and the same answer " not really interested in parting with it he would say ". Well he just turned 78 and came into my New pool hall and brought the cue with him and after dickerin we came to a aggrement and I have the cue now. The cue is dead straight but needs a refinish. I'm going to use it for now like it is and see if some of the history rubs off.... The original sale tag for the cue $180 is in the case too. He purchase both for $325...Enjoy:thumbup:

Attachments

• 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,122
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,136
Last edited:

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
More Case Pics.....

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,110
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 1,025
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 1,034
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,138
Last edited:

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.

Cool story!

:thumbup:

Dickerin? Don't tell me you traded him a bran new Players cue. :rolleyes::grin:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Doesn't need a refinish. It needs played with! Keep it forever, in the condition it's in, and pass it on like the old timer did to you.

JoshStodola

My stroke is garbage
Silver Member
Classic

Doesn't need a refinish. It needs played with! Keep it forever, in the condition it's in, and pass it on like the old timer did to you.

I also agree. I regret refinishing my dinged up Scruggs.
I didn't realize the character the battle wounds added
until they were gone. Now if the finish is completely
flaked off and the integrity of the cue is in jeopardy,
that's another story, but this cue looks ready to play.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree, no refinish needed! That cue is beautiful just as it is! I lov a good cue that looks like it's been well used. The beauty of a life well lived and a lot of good service provided to the owner.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Very nice and pretty unusual for a JW to be a bumperless, but regular size butt plate, non-Hoppe.

All the best,
WW

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Yes, it is my daily player now and will not be refinished.....

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
What would be the value of the cue and the case.....and how to tell if the leather is Lizard or Embosed...The cue was $180 new in 1972 I have the tag when purchased and the case was $125......??