Pool Notebooks

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if any of you have this type of thing or not

I have a pool notebook that I keep various pieces of information in for my own notes.

Things like

All the charts and adjustments for banking from banking with the beard + my own notes and adjustments

All the racking orders from racking secrets and which to use at what times.
All the rack "special spaces" from racking secrets for both helping and hurting.

Honestly I probably refer to this more than anything and share it most often with people on my team who are less experienced players.

Notes on things like handicap calculation
Printed copies of BCA and APA rules.

Also notes on things for APA like

Player A on this team breaks from this spot on the rail.
This player on this team plays exceptionally strong for his handicap.

Addresses of various pool rooms around the country

Various drills
diagrams of "trick shots"

My own records

Basically how I did in a particular match and what I could have done better.

Shots I have trouble with.

Anyone else keep notes on stuff like this and if so what else do you hold onto?

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
I have something similiar, but I use it to outline my practice routine, track my success of drills and various shots. I also take notes when I have a revelation about something. Over time my goal is do some statistical analysis of everything and identify the things I need to work on most.

All the other stuff, is a bit much for me.

I also have a small notebook I carry in my case to write down any notes that are important at the time during competition.

Last edited:

Ponytail

...it's about consistency
Silver Member
I have one that I write down the 5 things I want to do (Example: Smooth back stroke, Split the pocket, etc), and when I'm done, I write 5 things I want to improve on. (Example: Stay relaxed on critical shots. See the whole shot in my head before I get down in my stance ect..)

Everything must be phrased in a positive way. There shouldn't be any Don't do X or don't do Y.

Helps quite a bit to allow you to go back over things you're wanting to improve on in your game.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
I have something available at this link -

Player's Shot Journal

Midway down the page there is a link to preview the entire book - 175 pages.

Multi-table layouts begin on page 88.

It has a spiral binding so it is easy to lay flat on the table to recreate layouts.

Under $20.

accustatsfan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Its funny I don't use a journal (maybe I should) for pool but I do for shooting firearms or golf.

Marines use a data book for the rifle range to help the shooter and a trained coach to make corrections. It details results, settings, mental thoughts and conditions it helps increase your scores if you use it right.

The point is I don't know why I don't use a journal for pool since its effective for other activities.

softshot

Simplify
Silver Member
I have a PDA with excel..

in it I grade and track my performance through my daily drills and my once a week drills .. and I also have a space for noting anything that comes to mind as I play...

I have found that real progress in this game is slow .. and having a record that goes back over a year helps me see that I really am improving.. it's really a confidence builder for me..

I recommend that anyone serious about their game can benefit from keeping a record of practice.. and games

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
I use the same materials we hand out in pool school. There are the drills, and some forms that can be copied to track your progress.

When I was an APA captain, I used to keep stats on all of our team. Win or loss, against whom, what was the score, and room for other notes. Over time, I could look at the book, and know who had the best chance of winning against a certain opponent. I also spotted some trends that were useful. Things like "Dennis does not do well against females", or "Brandon likes the pressure of playing last", or "Amy does better if we play her early" or "Play Chris before he orders a 3rd beer".

It's amazing how helpful that kind of info can be!

Steve

UrackmIcrackm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Samm Diep also has a handy little "Game Log" on her website.

http://sammspocket.com/galogc20.html

"Take your pool game to the next level. Use the Game Log to record your matches, note shots and practice needs, and measure your improvement. The Game Log is designed to discipline and develop your game."

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I use to have a small notbook of all the bars on Long Island that had pool table and action. About 80 of them if I remember correctly. But I see now you're not talking about that kind of notebook. Johnnyt

PAMike

AKA Tattoo Mike
Silver Member
I have a PDA with excel..

in it I grade and track my performance through my daily drills and my once a week drills .. and I also have a space for noting anything that comes to mind as I play...

I have found that real progress in this game is slow .. and having a record that goes back over a year helps me see that I really am improving.. it's really a confidence builder for me..

I recommend that anyone serious about their game can benefit from keeping a record of practice.. and games

I'd be very interested in seeing an example of this. You can email direct if you like
mikenra@gmail.com

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious if any of you have this type of thing or not

I have a pool notebook that I keep various pieces of information in for my own notes.

Things like

All the charts and adjustments for banking from banking with the beard + my own notes and adjustments

All the racking orders from racking secrets and which to use at what times.
All the rack "special spaces" from racking secrets for both helping and hurting.

Honestly I probably refer to this more than anything and share it most often with people on my team who are less experienced players.

Notes on things like handicap calculation
Printed copies of BCA and APA rules.

Also notes on things for APA like

Player A on this team breaks from this spot on the rail.
This player on this team plays exceptionally strong for his handicap.

Addresses of various pool rooms around the country

Various drills
diagrams of "trick shots"

My own records

Basically how I did in a particular match and what I could have done better.

Shots I have trouble with.

Anyone else keep notes on stuff like this and if so what else do you hold onto?

Index cards with a pool table printed on the back.... You can write down the shot.. and write what you where thinkin and such.. Thats what I used when I first started playin onepocket.. You can use Microsoft paint to print them.. If your interested.. pm me and Ill send you a table that I drew on paint and you just have to print it out.. =)

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
I've kept daily notes of my practice since 1999. I also print any article or post that is helpful.

Robertduke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've kept daily notes of my practice since 1999. I also print any article or post that is helpful.

Thats why I like index cards.. If you come across a shot that you want to try or a pattern you can write it on the index cards and try it.. latter.. =)

asmith74

Where I pay homage
Silver Member
Cool Idea

I have a little notebook where I just wrote down little things to remind myself. After checking out the links and reading the other posts i'm going to create something much more detailed. I may go a step further and video tape my practice sessions then evaluate my mistakes and nice shots and use the notebook to document them. Thanks for the idea! :thumbup:

Andy

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
Thats why I like index cards.. If you come across a shot that you want to try or a pattern you can write it on the index cards and try it.. latter.. =)

Index cards are good. Notes kept that way can be kept in a pile and then if enough of them are gathered they can be split into catagories like;
fundamentals, stance, grip, follow thru... etc
shots I want to learn
banks
kicks

Fun to do and assemble.

Does this make us anal? :groucho:

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here a a pocket size shot diagrams booklet I made for 3 Cushion players. 50 pages of diagrams and two pages for content. Size 4 1/4" x 5 3/8"

BWSDB3.jpg

Bwsd02.jpg