Unknown pawn shop find

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just a wild thought: could this be one of the Prather cue building kits from the late 80's/early 90's?

Interesting thought although I seem to remember most of those were non-veneer points. To be honest, I'm not 100% certain this isn't a full spliced conversion. There's a 2" rattle ring at the A joint after all. Depending on the full splice, you could easily cut the forearm at 28.5 inches, the rattle ring would cover the bottom 2" of the splice and the handle tenoned and screwed in. The only "hitch in the giddyup" to me would be the joint size still staying at .83 and maintaining the point length. Is that a possibility?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
There's probably a thin metal washer embedded into the rubber bumper (may have some rubber over it keeping it from being seen). Most of this type are that way. The screw head is bottoming out on that while the remaining rubber at the bottom of the bumper pushes against the inner delrin shoulder pulling the bumper tight towards the tenon.

Well, Tim, interesting theory. The thin metal washer in those rubber bumpers were usually done for the small allen screws, to fit into the weight bolt. This screw looks too big for that.

As for the bottom of the bumper pushing against the inner delrin shoulder pulling the bumper tight towards the tenon, I don't think so. That would only put outer pressure on the bumper, and buttplate, and would not secure the buttplate to the tenon. In fact, it would if anything, force the buttplate outwards, which wouldn't secure it to the tenon.

The OP did state a couple times that the screw does go into the tenon, so absent anything else, I think that's how this cue was made. He also said there are some glue lines in the tenon, so I think that's probably how it was made. Although Delrin is hard to glue, with some roughing and grooves, epoxy can hold it.

Some comments earlier from Duane on possibly Jerry Rauenzahn getting his hands on this cue for a repair. I agree with that, especially given that phenolic piece on the front of the wrap portion, which is strange. Jerry did a lot of hard to do repairs, including broken handles, and could recognize this one, though just a possibility. For that matter, so has Scot Sherbine and others, though this cue looks like too much wear for more recent cue repairmen.

Everything is strange, but multiple repairs can make it so. I wonder if there's a possibility this cue is a very early make of a known cuemaker, but it went through a lot of repairs. As the Kid From Brooklyn said, Think About It...

All the best,
H

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Well, Tim, interesting theory. The thin metal washer in those rubber bumpers were usually done for the small allen screws, to fit into the weight bolt. This screw looks too big for that.

As for the bottom of the bumper pushing against the inner delrin shoulder pulling the bumper tight towards the tenon, I don't think so. That would only put outer pressure on the bumper, and buttplate, and would not secure the buttplate to the tenon. In fact, it would if anything, force the buttplate outwards, which wouldn't secure it to the tenon.

The OP did state a couple times that the screw does go into the tenon, so absent anything else, I think that's how this cue was made. He also said there are some glue lines in the tenon, so I think that's probably how it was made. Although Delrin is hard to glue, with some roughing and grooves, epoxy can hold it.

Some comments earlier from Duane on possibly Jerry Rauenzahn getting his hands on this cue for a repair. I agree with that, especially given that phenolic piece on the front of the wrap portion, which is strange. Jerry did a lot of hard to do repairs, including broken handles, and could recognize this one, though just a possibility. For that matter, so has Scot Sherbine and others, though this cue looks like too much wear for more recent cue repairmen.

Everything is strange, but multiple repairs can make it so. I wonder if there's a possibility this cue is a very early make of a known cuemaker, but it went through a lot of repairs. As the Kid From Brooklyn said, Think About It...

All the best,
H

You can drill the washer out to fit any screw plus there were those made for bigger screws or just force a slightly bigger screw in. It's been done. Not good but done none the less.. I'd guess it's one of those scenarios. As for the bumper pushing the delrin cap outward, it would only be an issue if the the inner wall machining didn't compensate for that regardless it wouldn't be a problem unless you hit the cue real hard on the ground which has exploded many a buttcap.

It's most likely done as I described...That's how many if not most or all those bumpers were made..

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
You can drill the washer out to fit any screw plus there were those made for bigger screws or just force a slightly bigger screw in. It's been done. Not good but done none the less.. I'd guess it's one of those scenarios. As for the bumper pushing the delrin cap outward, it would only be an issue if the the inner wall machining didn't compensate for that regardless it wouldn't be a problem unless you hit the cue real hard on the ground which has exploded many a buttcap.

It's most likely done as I described...That's how many if not most or all those bumpers were made..

I go along with you most of the time. But, how does a bumper exert inward pressure on the buttcap upon the tenon, to keep the buttcap in place, in a location higher up than the bumper, without a screw in the tenon?

All the best,
H

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I had a very early Jensen that was an 18 thread, similar maple boxes

As I said, it actually could be a very early attempt by a well known cuemaker, as there are some things that look very good, and some things, that, shall we say, are a bit experimental. Your guess is as good as anyone's.

All the best,
WW

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I go along with you most of the time. But, how does a bumper exert inward pressure on the buttcap upon the tenon, to keep the buttcap in place, in a location higher up than the bumper, without a screw in the tenon?

All the best,
H
That's the issue. It would not do it. I think with the bumper on you could grab and turn that butt cap easily. It's just not well done.

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More pictures as requested. Kelly, the diameter of the buttsleeve is 1.253.

Attachments

• 5E82EF64-23D9-4972-AEFA-719D61B3D87E.jpg
    5E82EF64-23D9-4972-AEFA-719D61B3D87E.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 8ED41A3A-CA72-4367-B9F6-E7DFA249C48E.jpg
    8ED41A3A-CA72-4367-B9F6-E7DFA249C48E.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 357
  • 8FAF8495-B58F-442E-B334-C9C78C3AFED3.jpg
    8FAF8495-B58F-442E-B334-C9C78C3AFED3.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 351

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That's the issue. It would not do it. I think with the bumper on you could grab and turn that butt cap easily. It's just not well done.

I wouldnt do it that way either...Normally thats the socket cap screws job.. Regardless t looks like thats how this was done..

Edit: (To clarify, the screw goes into the tenon..... There ya go Hoot ;))

Last edited:

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He says it screws into the tenon, so why doubt that? Clear to see a demarcation where the threads aren't dirty and I'm assuming is the depth that goes into the tenon. Had to have enough tension to keep the cap from sliding around, which seems amazing given the construction. Would the bumper need anything at all to secure it if the fit was snug enough?

Bumlak

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The butt cap tenon is glossy which would seem to indicate some sort of chemical adhesion. You can even see it in the grooves. Just because glues tend to not like to bond with delrin doesn't mean that a LOT of folks haven't tried. Hobbiest construction? Probably so. Finish over the delrin and glue on that tenon wouldn't be typical of the bigger makers. I keep going back to that forearm and REALLY wonder whether or not it's a Titleist conversion and the 2" rattle ring at the A-Joint is taking the place of the lower portion where the old point bottoms would have met. I asked that question earlier in the thread and it wasn't dismissed out of hand, which tells me that maybe it's a possibility.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The butt cap tenon is glossy which would seem to indicate some sort of chemical adhesion. You can even see it in the grooves. Just because glues tend to not like to bond with delrin doesn't mean that a LOT of folks haven't tried. Hobbiest construction? Probably so. Finish over the delrin and glue on that tenon wouldn't be typical of the bigger makers. I keep going back to that forearm and REALLY wonder whether or not it's a Titleist conversion and the 2" rattle ring at the A-Joint is taking the place of the lower portion where the old point bottoms would have met. I asked that question earlier in the thread and it wasn't dismissed out of hand, which tells me that maybe it's a possibility.

" I didn't consider the front being from a Titlist ….
perhaps O P can sand the veneers a little,
to determine Titlist POSSIBILITY ????

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" I didn't consider the front being from a Titlist ….
perhaps O P can sand the veneers a little,
to determine Titlist POSSIBILITY ????

If it is a Titlist forearm then it looks like an ebony Titlist...really nice find if so.

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If it is a Titlist forearm then it looks like an ebony Titlist...really nice find if so.

" No....
I think NOT TITLIST FRONT....
The green/blue/aqua colored veneer is SECOND FROM THE OUSTIDE- IN TOWARD - THE SOLID POINT WOOD ON TITLISTS -
"This cue has the greenish colored veneer next to the natural colored veneer"
BUT The point-work looks Great to me....
Maybe a Szam' blank?

HQueen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to sand it to bare wood and will post pictures when I do. When that will be I’m not sure but I’ll put my best man on it.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
" No....
I think NOT TITLIST FRONT....
The green/blue/aqua colored veneer is SECOND FROM THE OUSTIDE- IN TOWARD - THE SOLID POINT WOOD ON TITLISTS -
"This cue has the greenish colored veneer next to the natural colored veneer"
BUT The point-work looks Great to me....
Maybe a Szam' blank?

I haven't gone back to look so I couldn't say either way. But I did remember ebony points, and I agree, I thought they looked nice.

Szam? I dunno about that...but that would be a helluva find too. :smile:

It's a cool cue, worth fixing up. Nice project. I would improve that butt cap arrangement though. :smile: