Room Advice Needed

stai

Hi all,
My first post in this great forum. Lots of great advice and knowledgeable people around here.

I'm moving into a new place and I finally (hopefully) have room for a table. Space, unfortunately, is an issue and was hoping for some advice.

I've attached a rendering from the architect. He didn't quite get it right as he has the dimensions of the table as the playing surface. He just kind of placed it where he thought it should go without much thought to clearance for the cues.

Lengthwise it shouldn't be an issue. The main problem is going to be width, especially with the fireplace in the upper left corner. I'll likely have to move the table at least another foot away from the bottom wall and maybe another foot toward the left, which will really put the fireplace into play.

At this point, a 9' table is looking doubtful. Anyway I could fit an oversize 8'? I'd really like to have as large a table as I can. I don't mind switching to a short cue for some shots. I know that the rule of thumb is 5' from all walls, but would I be able to get away with 4'6" and maybe a little less? What do you guys think about placement and size?

brandoncook26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think you might look at getting a 7' table, and it looks like that would even be tight. By your drawing, you have 11'6" available for width. Five foot on both sides and a 4x8 table would be 14' needed, which you are two and a half feet short of. Even with a 3.5x7' table and your proposed 4'6", you still need 12'6" of space, meaning you are still a foot short with the small table. In my opinion, you need 15x19' for a 9 footer, and subtract about a foot from each dimension for each table size smaller.

If I were you, I would definitely go with the 7 footer. I think you would be happier in the long run not having to change cues 100 times a session. Just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

-Brandon

onepocket1

Champion Sweater
Silver Member
With the size room you have, IMO, you should only think about a 7' table. And then I would give myself at least 5'4" on three sides and use a short cue on the forth side. I did this and it worked pretty well. If you center the table there will not be enough room on either side. I had a friend place his table against the wall and he used 3 sides to practice. Good Luck!

Last edited:

stai

Thanks for the responses guys. Studying the plans closer I was afraid that a 7' table might be the best answer.

I'm just a casual player, but I've found playing on the larger tables to be more fun. I know it's probably a personal preference thing, but do people generally think that playing on a 7' table is worthwhile?

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A 7 foot table is fine for practice as any practice time is good practice time!

Brian in VA