$75 a day for a live stream and you can't afford it? WOW!

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
I swear these places kill me! Your having a 2-day tournament featuring some of SoCal's top notch players, yet you don't want to donate $75 a day to have me stream it?

And people wonder why the pool world is hurting!

I guess I'm just venting and this point...

Woe is me...LOL

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
As in the venue would pay you $75 a day?

Seems awfully cheap to me. I know one pro that gets $75 an hour for lessons. And she stays booked.

Let me see if I can break that down, you would be there about 20 hours a day streaming to the world talking up the place and getting about $3.75 an hour for that? And then the matches will all be uploaded to YouTube garnering them advertisement forever or until YouTube's servers melt down?

You're crazy to let them off that cheap.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Just curious, how does it work? You charge them $75, and then in return they get
the exposure... but do they get anything else? A cut of stream purchases? Ads maybe?
I could sort of understand if there's nothing in it for them except making people aware of
their existence.

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
dude i make that in an hour.. don't waste your time with idiots that really don't know wtf they are doing...

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Let be break it down...

Here's the deal...

I've spent 2 years establishing the brand, the stream, promoting the players, the venue, the sponsors and not to mention the very game of pool.

I've given of myself for 2 years, and done it for free on many occasions, but there comes a point when, if someone thinks that it would be a good idea for me to show up with me 2-3 cameras and stream at your venue for at least 12 hours a day, commentate and sweat the matches, promote your venue and tell the audience how awesome the spot is, the service, the amenities, the quality of the tables; you'd think that $75 a day would be negligible.

Yes, I can go with sponsors...
Yes, you, the public could make donations...
Yes, I could do it Pay Per View
Yes, I could even do it totally for free and HOPE the content keeps my name out there

But, seriously, the venue should also see the value in this type of promotion.

Matches go up to YouTube and are constantly viewed thousands of time with multiple mentions of the venue and tournament directors.

I just F***ing hate people that are cheap but still think they are gonna get what they want.

Bottom line in my perspective: The venues should also be willing to support the pool community and the streamer is now becoming an intricate part of it.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
75/day and we cant even get a stream of the world 9ball championship til MAYBE the semifinals.

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
Dan, I'd gladly pay you $75 to steam the next tournament I have at my house and I don't even want the exposure. :thumbup:

I wish you luck my friend. What you are asking for is not at all unreasonable.

POVPOOL

POV Pool
Silver Member
Over the course of 5 months, I have faithfully invested over $8k in additional equipment to improve the picture quality of my live stream. If you watch the Hard Times 10-Ball and compare it to the quality of any of the Swanee Tournaments I've done in the last two years, you will see a drastic improvement to the quality of the live stream.

I guess I'm still venting... S**TBalls!!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Getting very tired of promoting pool!

The streamer is getting the short end of the stick a little too often!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You're right. Streaming is becoming an integral part of the game and guys like you are going to quit if venues don't realize it.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
It's not my $75 a day or my poolroom, but if they can run an added tournament they should be able to pay $150 for two days of streaming. Have they ever had a streamer come in before? You or another streamer? Something just doesn't sound right here. Johnnyt

naji

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I swear these places kill me! Your having a 2-day tournament featuring some of SoCal's top notch players, yet you don't want to donate $75 a day to have me stream it?

Woe is me...LOL

I love your stream, i always look forward to it, true at times the commentating part is not the best, but for free it is a plus.
At times i wonder how photo shops, photographers and streamers can make money, with all digital technology in everyone's hand , literally. I know you probably used to say the quality suffer, but not anymore. When you are hired to video tape a wedding, you do not ask the venue for money, you get it from the bride and groom, and from people attended and welling to buy extra large photo, or a dvd, you will be lucky to get free dinner from the venue.
My problem is if you are not in good term with the venues owners WE are going to loose your free stream and we viewers better come up with some way to compensate hard working people like you. Thank you for everything, keep it coming.

voiceofreason

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue here is perception of cost/value.

On the one hand povpool says that $75 is good value and on the other the venue won't/can't pay it.

It is completely possible for both of them to be right. $75 clearly is ridiculously cheap for skilled labour but it might also be the case that venue does not see the value as, for whatever reason, it sees marketing in this way to be low priority.

I also agree with a statement that the target for payment of the stream is the TD not the venue. But also, the maths does not always stack up and sometimes goods in kind are easy to collect and actually worth more.

Cover an event in return for free food drink and accomodation for you and your staff. When I used to run tournaments and/or cover events, I would often take places in the tournament as payment. It's an easy thing for a TD to give away and can have significant value. In the higher end tournaments I would then back players in using the places rather than take them myself. I would often make good money this way. I remember one very clearly.. I covered two tours that were back to back and was given two spots in each that were valued at around £700. I put two players in for 50/50 on the winnings. The two players beat each other in the final of the first two events!

Anyway..

Good luck with your venture and unfortunately you will likely be for ever undervalued so regrettably you will have to get used to it!

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
LOL.... Don't mind me, I really thought that after reading the first sentence in the OP Povpool was saying us, the viewers would pay 75 a day for ppv.

The funny part is I was thinking, that's a little high, but I'd be in for 25 a day :grin-square: so long as it was a full day of 1pkt or 14.1 without constant blackouts.

I can't imagine a pool room owner not going for that no matter what the game. There gotta be more to it, no?

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Woe is me...LOL

If I may make a suggestion, it may help for you to create a brochure or a one-page flyer detailing the benefits a would-be pool room host can have by utilizing your services.

This puts it all out there on paper for them to review. Maybe you can e-mail them something to this effect if giving it to them in person is not feasible.

If you can list how the host pool room owner will realize future financial gains from the exposure, it might help you in the long run. :wink:

I mention this becuase I saw a video snippet yesterday on the news about how Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel have realized they get more exposure from YouTube clips than they do from their TV shows. They stated they realize that if some viewers miss the TV show that they can always access YouTube to find out what's happening after the fact.

Because of this, they have used social media (YouTube, et al.) to their benefit to promote their TV shows. :cool:

To give you one example of what I mean, Jimmy Kimmel published a "fake" twerking video on YouTube, never revealing it came from him or that it was fake: “We shot the video two months ago and posted it,” Kimmel explained of his publicity stunt/prank. “We didn’t send it to any TV stations and didn’t tweet it… didn’t put on any news websites. We put it on YouTube and just let the magic happen.” Expect Kimmel’s name and the name of his show to be mentioned a bajillion times today on various media outlets as the punk is dissected and debated. Source ---> HERE

There's ways to utilize the social media outlets to increase revenue by exposure, as illustrated above. I'm not sure how you can relay this to the host pool room owner, but this is something you may want to explore as a communication with them. :)

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To Play Devil's Advocate

Many pool halls don't have a web site.
So they are not sold on the merits of the internet.

A local pool hall will get no benefit from streaming because the viewers who do not already know of the establishment are not prospective customers.

In case you haven't noticed, pool players do not like to travel long distances, even to get to a better place. :D

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
If I may make a suggestion, it may help for you to create a brochure or a one-page flyer detailing the benefits a would-be pool room host can have by utilizing your services.

This puts it all out there on paper for them to review. Maybe you can e-mail them something to this effect if giving it to them in person is not feasible.

If you can list how the host pool room owner will realize future financial gains from the exposure, it might help you in the long run. :wink:

I mention this becuase I saw a video snippet yesterday on the news about how Jimmy Fallon and Jimmy Kimmel have realized they get more exposure from YouTube clips than they do from their TV shows. They stated they realize that if some viewers miss the TV show that they can always access YouTube to find out what's happening after the fact.

Because of this, they have used social media (YouTube, et al.) to their benefit to promote their TV shows. :cool:

To give you one example of what I mean, Jimmy Kimmel published a "fake" twerking video on YouTube, never revealing it came from him or that it was fake: “We shot the video two months ago and posted it,” Kimmel explained of his publicity stunt/prank. “We didn’t send it to any TV stations and didn’t tweet it… didn’t put on any news websites. We put it on YouTube and just let the magic happen.” Expect Kimmel’s name and the name of his show to be mentioned a bajillion times today on various media outlets as the punk is dissected and debated. Source ---> HERE

There's ways to utilize the social media outlets to increase revenue by exposure, as illustrated above. I'm not sure how you can relay this to the host pool room owner, but this is something you may want to explore as a communication with them. :)

I'd add that it might good idea for streamers to create a 30 second spot about the room that can be played. I think that locals also tune in and whenever the name of the room can be mentioned on AZB and FB and YouTube it will be indexed in the search engines.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I think as soon as you get beyond the idea that the problem is that your customers are too cheap you'll be much more successful.

Michael-Hoang

Omega Billiards
Silver Member
$75 a day is incredibly cheap for skilled labor and the amount of work that you put in, as brought it up.

But if the local pool rooms don't even want to put out $75 a day, maybe they don't see any positive returns on it? Here's a POSSIBLE angle to look at why local hosts MIGHT NOT want to put up that $75 a day: They may think that streamings CAN hurt their business. Streaming can keep people that live within reasonable driving distance from attending in person. And by "within reasonable driving distance" I mean people that live 1-4 hours away. So if those people don't show up in person and still can watch live on the computers in the comfort of their homes, that can cause the host locations some possible sales in foods/drinks/table times, etc...

Yes, streamers bring exposures to the hosts to people that live states away. But what can those people living in states away do for the local halls?

I don't own any pool room, just playing devil advocates and throwing ideas out there.

Daniel, you're doing an outstanding job. Your quality of streaming has gotten a whole lot better. As far as I know, you are now 1 of the 5 mainstream streamers: you, TAR, Accu-stats, Bigtruck and Insidepool.

But You are fighting an uphill battle. Actually, the ENTIRE industry is fighting a gigantic uphill battle. I hope to see you and the local hosts work it out.

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
$75 a day is incredibly cheap for skilled labor and the amount of work that you put in, as brought it up.

But if the local pool rooms don't even want to put out $75 a day, maybe they don't see any positive returns on it? Here's a POSSIBLE angle to look at why local hosts MIGHT NOT want to put up that $75 a day: They may think that streamings CAN hurt their business. Streaming can keep people that live within reasonable driving distance from attending in person. And by "within reasonable driving distance" I mean people that live 1-4 hours away. So if those people don't show up in person and still can watch live on the computers in the comfort of their homes, that can cause the host locations some possible sales in foods/drinks/table times, etc...

Yes, streamers bring exposures to the hosts to people that live states away. But what can those people living in states away do for the local halls?

I don't own any pool room, just playing devil advocates and throwing ideas out there.

Daniel, you're doing an outstanding job. Your quality of streaming has gotten a whole lot better. As far as I know, you are now 1 of the 5 mainstream streamers: you, TAR, Accu-stats, Bigtruck and Insidepool.

But You are fighting an uphill battle. Actually, the ENTIRE industry is fighting a gigantic uphill battle. I hope to see you and the local hosts work it out.

Michael, you bring up an excellent, insightful point. For all the benefit streaming an event may bring, it may actually prevent paying customers from coming in the door. Perhaps all parties (room owners, streamers, sponsors, donations, etc.) can collaborate in other ways to help bring revenue in to the establishment. Lord knows, room owners need all the help they can get nowadays.

Maybe anytime a stream is done, there's a door prize ('raffle'...something nice) that's offered with x number of tickets given for various levels of spending done in person at the establishment. This can be advertised on the stream, so that people nearby can be given a little more incentive to attend in person.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Michael, you bring up an excellent, insightful point. For all the benefit streaming an event may bring, it may actually prevent paying customers from coming in the door. Perhaps all parties (room owners, streamers, sponsors, donations, etc.) can collaborate in other ways to help bring revenue in to the establishment. Lord knows, room owners need all the help they can get nowadays.

Maybe anytime a stream is done, there's a door prize ('raffle'...something nice) that's offered with x number of tickets given for various levels of spending done in person at the establishment. This can be advertised on the stream, so that people nearby can be given a little more incentive to attend in person.

Good ideas, tho you do have to careful regarding raffles, esp requiring a purchase. I'm sure different states have different rules about this sort of thing.

Doesn't mean its not a good idea, just that you wanna make sure of the regulations before you do it, so as to not create a problem tor the room owner.

I agree that its a shame that the OP can't get $75 a day to cover a tourney. That seems remarkably inexpensive to me. Of course, I don't know the particulars from the room owner side. Seems like an opportunity missed, to me.

I like the idea above about a 30 second spot for the room owner, esp for smaller events. Bigger events would likely involve other advertisers, so such a deal might not be workable.