Obstruction Avoidance & Table Placement

FJames

Registered
My question relates more with reducing the frequency of having to deal with an obstruction approximately 4 feet away from the playing surface. I realize that a shorter than " standard " cue is a possible solution, and accept this.
I'm wondering however, in order to reduce the frequency of the issue, which in truth, may only pop up in perhaps 5% of shots. . ., ** what are your thoughts concerning where the majority of shots are made in order to decide where to locate a new table?

There are two pillar obstructions, each approximately 2 feet long, and 5 feet clearance between them. So, better to simply centre the table, so that the obstructions are each at one end of the table ( which I'm leaning toward ) ?? or, instead, try to place the table further forward or backward, i.e., either closer to the Head spot / Breaking end , or the Foot spot end to avoid the end where most shots are taken.

Thanks.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My question relates more with reducing the frequency of having to deal with an obstruction approximately 4 feet away from the playing surface. I realize that a shorter than " standard " cue is a possible solution, and accept this.
I'm wondering however, in order to reduce the frequency of the issue, which in truth, may only pop up in perhaps 5% of shots. . ., ** what are your thoughts concerning where the majority of shots are made in order to decide where to locate a new table?

There are two pillar obstructions, each approximately 2 feet long, and 5 feet clearance between them. So, better to simply centre the table, so that the obstructions are each at one end of the table ( which I'm leaning toward ) ?? or, instead, try to place the table further forward or backward, i.e., either closer to the Head spot / Breaking end , or the Foot spot end to avoid the end where most shots are taken.

Thanks.
Although needing to play a shot with your cue perpendicular to the side rail when the cue ball is close to the rail is more likely to occur at the foot/racking end of the table, I would still think it best to locate your table evenly between the obstructions as you are suggesting.

Floyd_M

"Have Cue, Will Travel"
Silver Member
I had this very issue with 3 8' tables in my home's basement. Evenly center the table(s) & have a couple short sticks handy.
Another 'OUT' would be to ask your opponants if moving the cue-ball enough to clear the obstacle will be an issue. 1 inch either way isn't making any difference unless another object ball is in line of shot.
After all, it's NOT a tournament.