Earl Strickland

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You guys act like he got roasted. Set wise he kind of did but 3 of those six sets were 9-8 9-8 9-7. Of course he might have lost a step since his prime but Earl can still hang with most of them if he can win the battle against himself.

Actually he lost twice at 9-7, so 4 of Earl's 6 losing sets were by just 1 or 2 games.

GaryB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure it has.
Half the game is mental.
His head is whacked now .

This old cloth thinking was the same thinking Sigel had when he came back. He made everyone play on Mali cloth. Like the pros have no stroke to get around the table in an 8-ball game .
Keith was beat by Gerda .
Sigel was beat by Efren badly.
Manalo and Hohmann played one finals match.

The great pros will adjust to the cloth and cushions .
Earl is not even a top 30 now I think.
He is a shadow of the player he was .
That comes with age .

The IPT qualifiers were played on slow cloth and the one I watched at Hard Times was some of the best 2 days of pool I have ever watched. There were players from most any country you could name. Orcullo beat Ortmann in the finals --hill/hill. Brilliant match.

Also Joey is right about the age factor. Believe me I know. lol

(((Satori)))

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this thread people are saying Earl has lost his skill and in another thread people are saying Earl possibly could have won had he not raked the balls on so many games.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In this thread people are saying Earl has lost his skill and in another thread people are saying Earl possibly could have won had he not raked the balls on so many games.

One thing that everybody can agree on though...... the ass weights........ well played Earl.... well played sir.......

tumblr_mtzmeqC16Z1qcga5ro1_500.gif

Reactions: KRJ

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
You guys act like he got roasted. Set wise he kind of did but 3 of those six sets were 9-8 9-8 9-7. Of course he might have lost a step since his prime but Earl can still hang with most of them if he can win the battle against himself.

This. And OP says he's lost it?
At the recent MIH 10ball he played brilliantly a lot of the time.
He can still hang with the best.
And......it was Daz one stroking and raking balls at that event..just sayin'

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I blame the TD's, promoters, and the venue itself for letting Earl get away with what he does. And it's only because of more viewers ($$$) buying the PPV. 10 years ago it was for the live gate. Earl thinks he's like tennis star John Mcenroe, when he's just a piss ant compared to him. Johnnyt

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think his skills have diminished all that much, if at all.

Please try to use that sexy brain of yours before you make statements like the one above. Okay sweetie.

Skills always diminish with age in every sport out there. It's a fact of life. Earl in the 90s would give today's Earl the 7 on ANY equipment.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I blame the TD's, promoters, and the venue itself for letting Earl get away with what he does. And it's only because of more viewers ($$$) buying the PPV. 10 years ago it was for the live gate. Earl thinks he's like tennis star John Mcenroe, when he's just a piss ant compared to him. Johnnyt

Earl is a far superior player compared to McEnroe. Earl has been dominant for what like 30 + years and can still crush anyone if he is "right"

To even compare their playing ability is absurd
Jason

And yes, bring back the 10'a:D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure it has.
Half the game is mental.
His head is whacked now .

This old cloth thinking was the same thinking Sigel had when he came back. He made everyone play on Mali cloth. Like the pros have no stroke to get around the table in an 8-ball game .
Keith was beat by Gerda .
Sigel was beat by Efren badly.
Manalo and Hohmann played one finals match.

The great pros will adjust to the cloth and cushions .
Earl is not even a top 30 now I think.
He is a shadow of the player he was .
That comes with age .

Just a point of clarification, it was definitely Earl that was beat by Gerda, not Keith.:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBquMVVAYUw

Last edited:

Stones

YEAH, I'M WOOFING AT YOU!
Silver Member
I've known of Earl since the mid 80's when he lived in Houston.

Many years ago when Earl was young and impressionable, his mentor told him "Always show some class!"

Earl misunderstood and thought he said "Always show your azz!"

He's been doing it every since!

Stones

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please try to use that sexy brain of yours before you make statements like the one above. Okay sweetie.

Skills always diminish with age in every sport out there. It's a fact of life. Earl in the 90s would give today's Earl the 7 on ANY equipment.

Earl was better in the '80s and '90s no doubt, but it isn't so much a decline of ability- he still can make terrific shots and get shape with great and precise application of spin- for example his match against Appleton in the Make It Happen 10 ball was one of the best sets of 10 ball anybody has ever played. The difference is that he usually melts down if things start to go against him. That is his major flaw, not his ability level. If only he could actually notice this himself and change.

hotrod622

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maybe I'll get blasted for this opinion, but I enjoy the drama of Earl playing. It makes the game more interesting to me.

It's a guilty pleasure, because I love this game and I do take it seriously. If Earl pulled his antics on me I'm sure I would hate it and probably fold like a table.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's appropriate - and that's exactly why it's interesting.

I concur........

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what Earl is now, the thing to remember is what he was, along with what he did. He in his time frame was , one of the best too ever walk along the side of a pool table and ponder his shots, and make them all work. He did that one thing , against some of the other players in the world , that would have been classified as the best that have ever been,,,if it were not for Earl.
After it's said and done , with Earl and the rest of it,,Earl was far more , than just a commentary, among his peers.

Last edited:
Reactions: KRJ

LIAKOS27

NOT banned (yet)
Silver Member
No matter what Earl is now, the thing to remember is what he was, along with what he did. He in his time frame was , one of the best too ever walk along the side of a pool table and ponder his shots, and make them all work. He did that one thing , against some of the other players in the world , that would have been classified as the best that have been,,,if it were not for Earl.
After it's said and done , with Earl and the rest of it,,Earl was far more , than just a commentary, among his peers.

You got that right!!! Great post!

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
Maybe already said as I haven't read the entire thread but whether you love him or hate him ... who has dominated the pool community news for DECADES?

calibration

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's just face it

Earl was and still is a beast on the table however,,, at the top top level of this sport we need a gentleman, somebody that shows both skill and character period.... We follow character

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've known of Earl since the mid 80's when he lived in Houston.

Many years ago when Earl was young and impressionable, his mentor told him "Always show some class!"

Earl misunderstood and thought he said "Always show your azz!"

He's been doing it every since!

Stones

RG0BS1U.gif

overlord

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's record in pool stands for itself. If he were in another sport he could retire with dignity and have money in the bank.

Its kind of sad. One thing that's a fact, is he is one of the greatest players to ever play the game. No one can take that away from him.