Strategy when not in top form

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Go back to fundamentals, I try to look for things like stroking center ball, finding and hitting the correct contact point, fallowing threw with my stroke to the contact point, not jumping up, and taking my time. Hope this helps you get back into stroke best of luck!

Each piece of advice offered here works, within limits. Part of the issue with psr and other habits is the problem of consistency. Lifeguards and others who must be vigilant suffer a watchman’s dilemma, attention deterioration. Doing the same thing over and over leads to it becoming an unconscious process. Elite performers have learned to fight that automaticity.

From Amazon: “Psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's famous investigations of "optimal experience" have revealed that what makes an experience genuinely satisfying is a state of consciousness called flow. During flow, people typically experience deep enjoyment, creativity, and a total involvement with life.”

It’s easy to confuse flow and the zone. Optimal experience is a happiness measure not a performance one. Players in the zone often experience flow but the euphoria of peak performance often occurs as a culmination of the outcome. The joy of the activity is the lure of flow. The unconsciousness of the activity however, is where errors can occur.

Breaking up each game into segments allows experts to bring shots back to their individual performance uniqueness. The orchestration of a match could be compared to the movements of a symphonic masterpiece. The opening movement is where initial planning takes place. Once decisions are made, a commitment is made to the opening target(s) and needed techniques. Debussy said music is the space between the notes.

The timing of ball pocketing and breakouts are the music of the spheres. Patterns flow together. Often in music the transition from one section into another requires special care. The transitions between shots are often easy shot clusters that need to be linked by tricky transitions. Each is like a separate orchestrated movement. Recognizing the shot keys unique to creating transitions keep us focused on the challenges in the present.

Flow often has a future component that pulls us ahead, out of the present. How many times have you seen players get ahead of themselves? They get up too soon, they overhit or under hit a ball losing position, looking ahead, losing the now, taking the next step before this one is finished, stumbling before the finish.

The final movement of a symphony is the culmination of each that came before. This is the payoff to the groundwork involved to this point. A reset makes sense. Fundamental keys like careful alignment, rehearsed execution, an anchored position and quiet focus are in the tool box. A careful check of what to take to the final stanza makes sense. The last balls linked together bring us to the grand finale. Give each its place, timed steps completed one at a time.

Finding the uniqueness in each shot and the keys to a successful pattern at each turn is how experts keep in the present, avoiding the mindlessness of possibly perceived repetition.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Priming a success strategy

I think this is a great strategy. Finding the keys that worked for you in the past is a good way to trigger the state at the time. I keep journals of my play and practice. Reading them later I am able to single out the common themes that were there on the good days. A key word or phrase can bring back the whole sense of the experience.

Thanks for the reminder.

At one time in my life I was a top tier tournament bridge player. I played in tournaments daily. Based on that experience, I was able to distill things to simple common denominators. Once the skills are there the next key is focus, but on what? In bridge there is a central idea that should be there on every hand. You need to count out every hand. It goes beyond getting a clear picture of the hands at the table. It keeps you engaged. It keeps you disciplined.

Of course, this begs the question of what does this have to do with pool? When I asked that question, I also asked, is there an equivalent key in pool? It needs to be something independent of the game situations that needs to be there on every shot. It took some time but the keys emerged, straight stroking and plan the table.

The functional intent behind the count out every hand principle was that that was how to build a complete picture of each hand at the table.

In pool we can try to get that complete table picture through looking at pattern play options. Planning with the end in mind, a way to navigate towards the end result, emerges. Once a full plan is formulated the key is to execute each shot successfully. Each execution requires straight cueing, regardless of where and how hard, the plan says, you should hit the cue ball.

If you look at learning it comprises of four stages
Unconscious - incompetence
Conscious - incompetence
Conscious - competence
Unconscious - competence

It digitally clicks between conscious and unconscious states.

We know that that is an oversimplification. Other terminology was created to distinguish more accurately. The term subliminal has been around for a long time. The word liminal means threshold. Supraliminal and subliminal are essentially the conscious and unconscious. Liminal is the state in between. We can be influenced by stimulus at each level.

There is another term called priming. On the farm when we needed to get the manual pump working we primed the pump. A pitcher of water was poured down the pipe helping create the vacuum drawing the water to the surface, as we pumped. An analogy of the process has been used in describing how decisions can be influenced. When the mind is primed with information, the most recent and strongest stimuli influence what we decide.

Top athletes use it in the form of mental imagery. That is a supraliminal priming activity.

Before a tournament I used to imagine counting out every hand. Developing a complete and total game plan based on the best picture of the hand at the table.

Weeks before a tournament I work on only two things. Planning the table when practicing and priming the straight stroke when not at the table and when getting down on each shot.

I see Canadian professional, John Morra, when between racks and during preliminary preparation, using the straight lines the table provides, to check for straight cue travel. He uses the top of the rail where the felt meets the rail and the kitchen line, as references. He cues above them watching for straightness. It goes beyond that, because the vision center must be aligned perceptually, for the reference comparison to work. The position of the body, the eyes and the cueing action are being primed as a whole in the process. Some of these cueing sessions go on for several minutes. I’m reminded of how a good player when he misses a shot, practices until he can make it. The professional practices until he can’t miss it.

During commercials when watching tv or when waiting in traffic, the straight cueing mindset is sitting there at the liminal level. Writing about it here causes it to occur.

This weekend I play in a tournament.

My strategy is consistent. Each layout will be looked at with an eye to a pattern that can be executed reasonably. A decision is then made regarding a pattern related shot or a strategic tactic. Regardless of the decision, a straight stroke is needed. The type is dictated by the decision.

The liminal priming allows precise choice of where on the ball the straight stroke is needed.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At one time in my life I was a top tier tournament bridge player. I played in tournaments daily. Based on that experience, I was able to distill things to simple common denominators. Once the skills are there the next key is focus, but on what? In bridge there is a central idea that should be there on every hand. You need to count out every hand. It goes beyond getting a clear picture of the hands at the table. It keeps you engaged. It keeps you disciplined.

Of course, this begs the question of what does this have to do with pool? When I asked that question, I also asked, is there an equivalent key in pool? It needs to be something independent of the game situations that needs to be there on every shot. It took some time but the keys emerged, straight stroking and plan the table.

The functional intent behind the count out every hand principle was that that was how to build a complete picture of each hand at the table.

In pool we can try to get that complete table picture through looking at pattern play options. Planning with the end in mind, a way to navigate towards the end result, emerges. Once a full plan is formulated the key is to execute each shot successfully. Each execution requires straight cueing, regardless of where and how hard, the plan says, you should hit the cue ball.

If you look at learning it comprises of four stages
Unconscious - incompetence
Conscious - incompetence
Conscious - competence
Unconscious - competence

It digitally clicks between conscious and unconscious states.

We know that that is an oversimplification. Other terminology was created to distinguish more accurately. The term subliminal has been around for a long time. The word liminal means threshold. Supraliminal and subliminal are essentially the conscious and unconscious. Liminal is the state in between. We can be influenced by stimulus at each level.

There is another term called priming. On the farm when we needed to get the manual pump working we primed the pump. A pitcher of water was poured down the pipe helping create the vacuum drawing the water to the surface, as we pumped. An analogy of the process has been used in describing how decisions can be influenced. When the mind is primed with information, the most recent and strongest stimuli influence what we decide.

Top athletes use it in the form of mental imagery. That is a supraliminal priming activity.

Before a tournament I used to imagine counting out every hand. Developing a complete and total game plan based on the best picture of the hand at the table.

Weeks before a tournament I work on only two things. Planning the table when practicing and priming the straight stroke when not at the table and when getting down on each shot.

I see Canadian professional, John Morra, when between racks and during preliminary preparation, using the straight lines the table provides, to check for straight cue travel. He uses the top of the rail where the felt meets the rail and the kitchen line, as references. He cues above them watching for straightness. It goes beyond that, because the vision center must be aligned perceptually, for the reference comparison to work. The position of the body, the eyes and the cueing action are being primed as a whole in the process. Some of these cueing sessions go on for several minutes. I’m reminded of how a good player when he misses a shot, practices until he can make it. The professional practices until he can’t miss it.

During commercials when watching tv or when waiting in traffic, the straight cueing mindset is sitting there at the liminal level. Writing about it here causes it to occur.

This weekend I play in a tournament.

My strategy is consistent. Each layout will be looked at with an eye to a pattern that can be executed reasonably. A decision is then made regarding a pattern related shot or a strategic tactic. Regardless of the decision, a straight stroke is needed. The type is dictated by the decision.

The liminal priming allows precise choice of where on the ball the straight stroke is needed.

Funny. I also played Bridge for fun for awhile. I competed couple times with mediocre player(who was 2200 in Chess) and won those tournaments. BTW this chess player often did offer wrong just to get me playing and he did go buy some beer. Opponents were like "you can´t do this to your partner, put him shit situation like this. He just replied "I trust Matti does his best"
Later on that tournament... I was asked come to play national Junior team :D. I was like "I am 25 already" they just said 28 is Junior age limit in Bridge.. :D

BTW. I practiced Bridge also alone. just dealing hands and offering myself with all hands and trying all kind unconventional offers. After that I was playing hands alone too just to get feeling importance of defenders first card and how to make a game plan also.

Last edited:

Raecarmia

"Only the finest"
Silver Member
Slumps

Hi, I have to admit I have not read all the previous posts on this subject.. But I wound like to contribute. I used to think a slump was about playing bad, or not winning as often as I thought I should. To some degree those things could be considered a slump. However, I realized what I considered to be a slump was subjective.. My perception of my performance was not realistic. Here's what I learned ..certain factors contribute to overall performance.. For example... Time.. If you are rushing to get to play and you know you only have so much time to play... You can play subpar and think it is a slump.. If you're short on cash...relationship issues... Car problems... Almost anything that is unresolved can and usually will surface at some point during play... So heres the deal.... A slump or should I say the term slump is a scapegoat... A psychological escape... An easy way out.
If you realize time and slumps are directly related you can shorten it by raising your self awareness, don't give the term slump meaning... Minimize the usage or remove it from your vocabulary... Its a trap...
If you play big multi day tournaments and play a bad match.. Do you think or start to think that you're in a slump? If you do.. Slap yourself... Don't create something from nothing... If you play league once or twice a week
and have a bad week, do you think you are falling apart? What defines a slump... How much energy and time you allow yourself to believe it.... Accept that you played weaker than usual... Didn't capitalize on opportunities or missed a few shots too many... Don't beat yourself up!
Maintain confidence and smile, its empowering!! And remember this... Your past performances mean nothing... You are only as good as the shot in front of you.

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Performance is an inside job

Hi, I have to admit I have not read all the previous posts on this subject.. But I wound like to contribute. I used to think a slump was about playing bad, or not winning as often as I thought I should. To some degree those things could be considered a slump. However, I realized what I considered to be a slump was subjective.. My perception of my performance was not realistic. Here's what I learned ..certain factors contribute to overall performance.. For example... Time.. If you are rushing to get to play and you know you only have so much time to play... You can play subpar and think it is a slump.. If you're short on cash...relationship issues... Car problems... Almost anything that is unresolved can and usually will surface at some point during play... So heres the deal.... A slump or should I say the term slump is a scapegoat... A psychological escape... An easy way out.
If you realize time and slumps are directly related you can shorten it by raising your self awareness, don't give the term slump meaning... Minimize the usage or remove it from your vocabulary... Its a trap...
If you play big multi day tournaments and play a bad match.. Do you think or start to think that you're in a slump? If you do.. Slap yourself... Don't create something from nothing... If you play league once or twice a week
and have a bad week, do you think you are falling apart? What defines a slump... How much energy and time you allow yourself to believe it.... Accept that you played weaker than usual... Didn't capitalize on opportunities or missed a few shots too many... Don't beat yourself up!
Maintain confidence and smile, its empowering!! And remember this... Your past performances mean nothing... You are only as good as the shot in front of you.

Performance is about what we tell ourselves. One fellow I play with has some home and finance issues. Surprisingly his time at the table is an escape, he excels. We all react differently.

It goes beyond the labels we put on our performance. It’s what we tell ourselves about our potential. It’s about how we see ourselves, our identity.

Give opponents credit. They are allowed to have a good night now and then.

Players have rankings. Most that I talk to think they are better than the set level. Sometimes they do play above their rank, and when they play at their rating, they don’t accept that they played where past results say they are.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From aa gamblers point of view

When you are not in top form,I have found two pieces of information that UJ Puckett gave me when I was a kid

1 Ask for more weight
2. quit ad wait till you feel right to play

I know when i was taking a whipping my game broke down,
if i got more weight I usually stayed broke down and just lost more

so i recommend taking the day off

If you are playing tournament or for fun,then drink a 7 up or 2

seriously I found that they made my hands feel thin and changed my feel

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From aa gamblers point of view

When you are not in top form,I have found two pieces of information that UJ Puckett gave me when I was a kid

1 Ask for more weight
2. quit ad wait till you feel right to play

I know when i was taking a whipping my game broke down,
if i got more weight I usually stayed broke down and just lost more

so i recommend taking the day off

If you are playing tournament or for fun,then drink a 7 up or 2

seriously I found that they made my hands feel thin and changed my feel

7up made your hand feel thin? Then you play better when you got thin hands?

Please explain how 7up makes a hand thinner

Then also explain what got thin hands got to do with your game ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i can't explain it but i got the idea from ben hogan in golf

he might have said lemonaid worked for his hands

if you are looking for an argument i am not interested

feel free to not try this 7 up thing

all i know is when my hands get clammy or thick feeling,i tried this

may all been in my head but others told me they do the same thing

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Calibrate your eyes.

I've noticed that when I'm not playing well, it's due to me not "seeing" the ball well.

What I'm "seeing" is a bit off from what is "reality".

When your eyes are properly calibrated, hopefully, your body and stroke will follow suit. Make sure you are aligned with your eyes when they are calibrated right.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Do you have a physical or mental key?
Is it different for big stakes?
When it’s not important does that require a different strategy?

Everything is situational.
Tell us the situation and your "go to".

Extra booze, and a comfortable seat. :D

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play more 2 way shots
Play the cue ball closer to the shot so you don't have tough shots
Play more safes
Know only 1 player can be the boss...be the boss

Imac007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Part of a package

Calibrate your eyes.

I've noticed that when I'm not playing well, it's due to me not "seeing" the ball well.

What I'm "seeing" is a bit off from what is "reality".

When your eyes are properly calibrated, hopefully, your body and stroke will follow suit. Make sure you are aligned with your eyes when they are calibrated right.

Choosing straight cueing as the key to performance cannot work without proper aim and alignment. Hawaiian Eye is as right as the straight cueing. The two make the total package. He notes that once your eyes have found their center, the body and stroke will follow. Surprisingly once the cue is running straight, the body is calibrated and we only know it is running straight if our eyes are seeing the straightness. We can only see the straightness if you are looking directly down the cue.

Calibration is a great word to describe the trio in sync. Thanks.