How Many Aiming Systems Do You Use

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'll leave it this way; No matter if you are the best in the world, seeing a master teacher will do a lot of good. Most pool players just do not see it that way and sad to say, most are broke anyway, and that's too bad. Beautiful sport though. Those of us that can afford lessons should support the masters that teach.

Everyone can benefit from time with a master. But not every master is right for everyone.

Lou Figueroa
suddenly feeling like
some Chinese food

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a number of systems ranging from the fractional aiming from poolology (my real go to), some manual pivoting picked up from Mohrts blogs a few years ago, sometimes some toi (not so much since I switched cues/shafts to LD).

For kicking and banks, diamond system is great - Tor’s system is great to learn. Use Plus two for two rail banks of the short rail; corner five for three rail banks - spot on the wall; double distance —- all are great to have in the arsenal.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When is the last time you and Lou took a lesson from a pool teaching pro?

Speaking only for myself: I have probably taken more lessons, from more guys, who have won more championships than your guy.

Lou Figueroa
just a guess

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When is the last time you and Lou took a lesson from a pool teaching pro?
I’ve taken one lesson in my life, from Scott Lee a few years ago. He was great - I wrote a positive review here on AzB - but I’m not looking for more (no disrespect to instructors and lessons - just a personal preference).

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
Speaking only for myself: I have probably taken more lessons, from more guys, who have won more championships than your guy.

Lou Figueroa
just a guess

I'm sure that is true. Just makes yours more expensive and does not apply to their ability to teach. How about the top ten money for lessons golf professionals? Want to name the championships they've won? The top ten, maybe two tournaments in the last 40 years. Teaching ability doesn't coincide with tour wins. My guy was really good, but hated the travel. Rather stay home with his wife, take care of his dogs, etc. But, different strokes for different folks. Merry Christmas.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure that is true. Just makes yours more expensive and does not apply to their ability to teach. How about the top ten money for lessons golf professionals? Want to name the championships they've won? The top ten, maybe two tournaments in the last 40 years. Teaching ability doesn't coincide with tour wins. My guy was really good, but hated the travel. Rather stay home with his wife, take care of his dogs, etc. But, different strokes for different folks. Merry Christmas.

What absolute baloney.

The guys I paid for pool lessons were: Dallas West, Ray Martin, and Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook. These guys were all gilt-edged champions whom I choose because, not only were they great players who could walk the walk, I had heard great things about their ability to talk the talk.

And in each case I left them feeling that I had gotten far, far more than my money's worth. And just so you also know, I spent several years of my life traveling around the country teaching. It was a totally different subject but I mention it because I feel that that experience taught me how to become a better teacher, a better student, and to recognize a good teacher when I met one.

Guys can come up with all kinds of reasons for doing what they do, or don't do in life. But pool is not about locking yourself up in your personal pool room. It is not about solitary confinement. It is about competition and proving you can do what you think you can do when the other guy is doing everything in their power to make life miserable for you. Any number of theories will hold up great while you're banging away privately. But get out into a live fire situation and things change dramatically very quickly.

I'm sure your guy is a fine teacher but puleeese, don't denigrate spending time with world champions because your guy loses that contest every time.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
What absolute baloney.

The guys I paid for pool lessons were: Dallas West, Ray Martin, and Steve "Cookie Monster" Cook. These guys were all gilt-edged champions whom I choose because, not only were they great players who could walk the walk, I had heard great things about their ability to talk the talk.

And in each case I left them feeling that I had gotten far, far more than my money's worth. And just so you also know, I spent several years of my life traveling around the country teaching. It was a totally different subject but I mention it because I feel that that experience taught me how to become a better teacher, a better student, and to recognize a good teacher when I met one.

Guys can come up with all kinds of reasons for doing what they do, or don't do in life. But pool is not about locking yourself up in your personal pool room. It is not about solitary confinement. It is about competition and proving you can do what you think you can do when the other guy is doing everything in their power to make life miserable for you. Any number of theories will hold up great while you're banging away privately. But get out into a live fire situation and things change dramatically very quickly.

I'm sure you're guy is a fine teacher but puleeese, don't denigrate spending time with wold champions because your guy loses that contest every time.

Lou Figueroa

Until, you've seen him, you won't know and are only guessing. But, I know you never will, so I'll let it go.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Until, you've seen him, you won't know and are only guessing. But, I know you never will, so I'll let it go.

I have said this to you before and I will say it again: from all you've posted here you appear to be a player who would have a low FargoRate. And frankly I don't think you have the experience and knowledge to know what a great pool instructor looks like.

Certainly, you, at your level, would find benefit from many sources. But it would take a far more accomplished player to know how good any particular instructor might be. Someone who can do a sanity check against their own knowledge and experience and then go out in real life competition and deploy what they've been taught.

You say your guy is great. But that would be for you or someone else at your level. For a more accomplished, seasoned player, maybe not.

Lou Figueroa

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
You say your guy is great. But that would be for you or someone else at your level. For a more accomplished, seasoned player, maybe not.

Lou Figueroa

It's true, I'm too old, had a stroke a year ago, and left pool practice for a year until now. He has many master pool players and he shows me the target they need to land on for shape.... about the size of a cue ball. He was the only one to make it to PAT3 for the 3rd day test years ago out of 20 teaching pros. You'll never go and as much as I've tried on here, no one else will either except a guy from Florida that has been out 3 times and planning on another. He did that with my recommendations. He's seen many teaching pros but RD is his favorite. So, I've tried but I'm done now.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's true, I'm too old, had a stroke a year ago, and left pool practice for a year until now. He has many master pool players and he shows me the target they need to land on for shape.... about the size of a cue ball. He was the only one to make it to PAT3 for the 3rd day test years ago out of 20 teaching pros. You'll never go and as much as I've tried on here, no one else will either except a guy from Florida that has been out 3 times and planning on another. He did that with my recommendations. He's seen many teaching pros but RD is his favorite. So, I've tried but I'm done now.

Who is this guy from Florida?

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Who is this guy from Florida?

He will read this and maybe he'll tell. But, no pool player is looking for a great teacher, most want to laugh. So, I hope he doesn't.

Last edited:

cookie man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He will read this and maybe he'll tell. But, no pool player is looking for a great teacher, most want to laugh. So, I hope he doesn't.

Where do you come up with this stuff lol. I know lots of players that have taken lessons. Most take them from local instructors though, very seldom have i heard of players traveling great distances to take a pool lesson.