2008 DCC Room - ??? Name change ??? Volunteers ???

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
WOW!

Okay, let me say that I didn't even know about this thread until now Thursday January 25th, 2007 at 4:32 PM EST.

"Quote Timberly: I do not know why Greg would tell you that, when it simply is not true. Eydie can attest to it. I would rather not ask anyone to get involved in any of this but because you're insistent on trying to making me look like a liar, if Greg or Eydie, the only two people that I ever uttered a word to about this would like to speak up, I would appreciate it. "

From what I was told by Timberly, who asked me not to say anything at the time, in which I didn't but since it was brought up here I will comment. She was in a dilemma, because at one point she was getting a room from both IP and AZB. I didn't hear until after DCC on what she did about both of the rooms... That's all I know about that.

As far as changing the name of the AZBilliards room. I am personally against it. No one has asked that the CCB dinner's name at The US Open to be changed to something else, so others could attend.... I doubt that anyone there would change it, because it is The CCB Dinner. as the room is "The AZBilliards" room

I personally helped Timbely secure an abundance of the donations for the AZB Room, in which you can see her public Thank-You to me here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=42964 I did it to support The AZB Room.

--content removed--

So, this is why IMO why the name should stay the same. It is the AZB forum members who make it what it is! All of the people involved did a great job. I was not there, but I know it was a great time for al!

Reactions: JAM
T

Timberly

Eydie Romano said:
WOW!

Okay, let me say that I didn't even know about this thread until now Thursday January 25th, 2007 at 4:32 PM EST.

"Quote Timberly: I do not know why Greg would tell you that, when it simply is not true. Eydie can attest to it. I would rather not ask anyone to get involved in any of this but because you're insistent on trying to making me look like a liar, if Greg or Eydie, the only two people that I ever uttered a word to about this would like to speak up, I would appreciate it. "

From what I was told by Timberly, who asked me not to say anything at the time, in which I didn't but since it was brought up here I will comment. She was in a dilemma, because at one point she was getting a room from both IP and AZB. I didn't hear until after DCC on what she did about both of the rooms... That's all I know about that.
That is correct. When you & I spoke the other day, you asked me what I ended up doing and I said that "I asked if I could take a rain check" for another time when I wasn't working the event.

For any and all eyes that might see this thread... In the end, whether I got a room from Greg or not, is no one's business but mine and Greg's. It never should've been mentioned here in the first place because it had nothing to do with anyone having to do with this site except myself & Greg Sullivan. It's strictly between us and I will not utter another word about it to anyone other than Greg.

Have a great day everyone.

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
Read EVERY Sordid Word (twice)

Timberly declares:
It's strictly between us and I will not utter another word about it to anyone other than Greg.
Have a great day everyone.

Can there possibly be anything about your room that was left unsaid ?
Doug
Good luck in your future endeavors.

Reactions: JAM

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well i have to give my input by saying that i have met both Mike H. and Timberly and i have respect for both. so i am going to stay out of their disagreements. I also have a great deal of respect for Greg from Diamod and have met him. The one person i am dying to meet is Edyie Romano. Her i also have alot of respect for.

Now about the room change question. It is my opinion that the room should just stay the way it is named. I did read all the posts on this subject and i respect Timberly's idea of opening it up to other forums. But still feel that it should stay the way it is. Yes, we do have a dinner for ALL members of the billiard forum community of Billiards Digest called the CCB. But i must also say that there have been instances of outside people coming to dinner with us and even playing in our own little tournament every year. Anybody from here is welcome to come play. All they have to do is register over there and come join us. We are not world beaters, just friends with a mutual love of the game that like to get together. Our tournament started the 1st year with cash prizes. That has been changed and now after each round we have a raffle to give away prizes that people donate. Even Barry Berhamn donates his pool tables for us. i also know that there are some people on here that would never register or post over there. That is their own perogative.. well i have said my little piece. time to go to bed. it is 2:50am and i am starting to get tired.......mike

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
...I personally helped Timberly secure an abundance of the donations for the AZB Room, in which you can see her public Thank-You to me here http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=42964 I did it to support The AZB Room....

I did not know that. I thought "It was all about Timberly." :D

Joking aside, thanks, Eydie, for your contributions to make the raffle successful!

Eydie Romano said:
...So, this is why IMO why the name should stay the same. It is the AZB forum members who make it what it is! All of the people involved did a great job. I was not there, but I know it was a great time for all!

I agree with you, Eydie, 100 percent! :)

I said it earlier in this thread, and I'll say it again. My advice to EVERYONE is to tread cautiously when riding the tide in pool's political waters. If you are in this racket for pleasure, you're in for the shock of your life. Do not bite at the bait of pleasure 'til you know there is no hook beneath it. The media is a huge shark pool.

JAM

cueandcushion

Cue & Cushion_STL_MO
Silver Member
Sheesh!!!!!!!!

Wow. What has this thread become? It seems there are a lot more critics than contributors to solving all this drama. Who on Earth would want to volunteer to do this next year with all this hostility and veiled threats and claims of jurisdiction? Not me. I contributed over $800 towards this room last year and to be honest...I dont know if I would again. Saying the raffle might be illegal and you cant use this websites name and who cannot or can come in...??? Who wants to deal with all that legality or drama? I hope that AZBilliards lawyers will come up with a solution that eliminates all this b.s. I donated (this year)because I wanted to help out the room in Tom Ferrys memory, he has been a friend of our family for many many years....:) I did not donate to become named in an illegal raffle lawsuit.

NEXT YEAR!!!>>>>
Just let AZbilliards do everything from start to finish out of their own pocket. They can work all the hours...deal with if a raffle is legal. They can invite other forums. All on thier own dime.

I feel sorry that Timberly had to go through all this drama. Right or wrong...She did her best for all of us. You cant ask much more.
Thank you Timberly.

Last edited:

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
Williebetmore said:
This year there were several problems with the "AZB/onepocket.org Members Room" that involved misperceptions of just what the room was supposed to be. At least several people thought it was a room to promote the websites, when in actuality it is just a members club.

Perhaps we should change the name. One possibility discussed was "The Tom Ferry Room of Excellence." If Greg Sullivan would still let us have the room without the AZB/onepocket.org designation, perhaps that would be a better name.

Please post your comments and suggestions; the room organizers (whoever the hell they are for next year) will consider them.

We also need volunteers for things like name tags, store visits for refreshments (you need to have a car), room goon (certain stature requirements must be met), and "friends of pro's" (recruit your friends to make room appearances).
What about:
"THE TOM FERRY ROOM OF EXCELLENCE"
"sponsored by AZBilliards.com and OnePocket.org forum members"

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
As far as changing the name of the AZBilliards room. I am personally against it. No one has asked that the CCB dinner's name at The US Open to be changed to something else, so others could attend.... I doubt that anyone there would change it, because it is The CCB Dinner. as the room is "The AZBilliards" room
As one of those involved with the CCB Dinner and Tournament, I will address this point.

Both the CCB Dinner and Tournament are organized buy the members of the CCB. We get little support from BD magazine for either. Some years, we have received free subscritions and some shirts from BD, as prizes for our tournament raffle, but we have not received these things every year. One year, Mike Panozzo, editor of BD, called ahead and purchased drinks for us at our dinner. We have also received a lot of support from InsidePool Magazine, although their name has not been associated with our events.

Changing the name of the CCB Dinner or Tournament has never been brought up and/or considered.

I also have to say, our dinner and tournament are open to non-CCB members. We have had many non-members participate in the past. Anyone is welcome to join us for dinner or the tournament. The only restriction is, if you are not a CCB member, you are not elligible for winning trophies or raffle prizes at the tournament.

On another point, we have had absolutely no interference from BD magazine in running these events. They have never imposed any restrictions on us, nor have they tried to appoint anyone as a "go to" person for one of these events.

The CCB events have been totally organized and run by the members of the CCB forum.
IMHO, if AZB wants to have any type of control over the events promoted, organized, and run by the members of the AZB forum, they should take a much more active roll.

cueball1950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rich R. said:
As one of those involved with the CCB Dinner and Tournament, I will address this point.

Both the CCB Dinner and Tournament are organized buy the members of the CCB. We get little support from BD magazine for either. Some years, we have received free subscritions and some shirts from BD, as prizes for our tournament raffle, but we have not received these things every year. One year, Mike Panozzo, editor of BD, called ahead and purchased drinks for us at our dinner. We have also received a lot of support from InsidePool Magazine, although their name has not been associated with our events.

Changing the name of the CCB Dinner or Tournament has never been brought up and/or considered.

I also have to say, our dinner and tournament are open to non-CCB members. We have had many non-members participate in the past. Anyone is welcome to join us for dinner or the tournament. The only restriction is, if you are not a CCB member, you are not elligible for winning trophies or raffle prizes at the tournament.

On another point, we have had absolutely no interference from BD magazine in running these events. They have never imposed any restrictions on us, nor have they tried to appoint anyone as a "go to" person for one of these events.

The CCB events have been totally organized and run by the members of the CCB forum.
IMHO, if AZB wants to have any type of control over the events promoted, organized, and run by the members of the AZB forum, they should take a much more active roll.

TAP TAP TAP...Well Said Rich....see you in October. Maybe someday you and the wife can make it up to a Turning Stone Tournament.......mike

Eydie Romano

Finally Retired!
Silver Member
Rich R. said:

Rich, I meant no disrespect towards the CCB dinner. I was just trying to make a point.

From what I understand "the powers that be" here on AZB will be taking a more active roll next year.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cueball1950 said:
TAP TAP TAP...Well Said Rich....see you in October. Maybe someday you and the wife can make it up to a Turning Stone Tournament.......mike
Mike, I have considered Turning Stone and it may be in our future. :D

Last edited:

elvicash

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No matter what lets have a room next year

I will be there no matter what it is called

I hung out some and met some AZ members, Good times for sure

I paid I played and only want to know who do I need to thank.

WBM, Steve, Timberly - Thanks alot

Greg - Thanks for the Derby and the room you are great

Mike - Thanks for this site

Lets all get along now,,,,,,,

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Eydie Romano said:
Rich, I meant no disrespect towards the CCB dinner. I was just trying to make a point.

From what I understand "the powers that be" here on AZB will be taking a more active roll next year.
Eydie, I took no offense. I was just adding a little information to clarify the situation.

If AZB wants to have any control over the AZB events, it is imperative for them to take a more active roll. IMHO.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
watchez said:
I hesitated in posting this but after hearing several people refer to Tom & his reason for wanting the AZBilliards room, I finally feel like it needs to be said. Sure, Tom was a friendly guy that loved to talk & what better way to have a captive audience then to have a room where all could gather. But, also remember that Tom was a hustler. What better way to get a bunch of people together for him to play? .........

I am just sorry that I never got to see Tom carry out 'his dream' of the DCC.

I guess I don't understand this post. Tom Ferry was there last year. We all spent several hours with him in the AZ Room. I had dinner with him a couple of times. How did he not carry out "his dream" of the DCC?

They still carry around the Tom Ferry news story around one or two of the booths at the DCC. He had a copy in the AZ room last year. Who he was was no mystery to anyone. And he graced us with his presence and his stories. I hope people played him, and I hope he got whatever he was looking for.

Fred

Last edited:
T

Timberly

Fred, I don't know for sure what watchez meant but I took the dream statement as meaning Tom never won one of the three tournaments or the all around. :confused:

Were they selling the posters at Derby?? I would love to have one and I think it would be a nice gesture to have the poster up in the room each yr. :)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jack Madden said:
What about:
"THE TOM FERRY ROOM OF EXCELLENCE"
"sponsored by AZBilliards.com and OnePocket.org forum members"

Hey Jack,

Tom would turn over in his grave if he heard his name and excellence in the same sentence. He always acted like he couldn't play at all. Tom prefered to stay in the background at most tournaments and be a "sniper", picking off the lesser players in the backroom. He wouldn't mess with a guy who played your speed.

I never knew how well he played and I knew him for 30 years as Tom Martin. We played once in L.A. and he won the first game and I won the second. He quit and smiled at me and said "To much see saw".

watchez

What time is it?
Silver Member
mthornto said:
I did not really know Tom. In fact, the only time I ever spoke with him was briefly at the AZ Room last year. In that one conversation I was left with the distinct impression that he was disappointed that there was not a lot gambling going on. Each evening when I would see him come to the room, he would always head out shortly after getting there to find some action.

I did not know Tom, so I am not qualified to try and interpret his actions, but what I saw is right in line with what you are saying.

Thanks mthornto. I posted this in another thread but thought it might be read here too.

Nice detective work Timberly....here are the quotes by Tom.

OldHasBeen said:
Hell, I might want to have a CRAP GAME on the table when it is my turn.

OldHasBeen said:
I just only hope all you fine people don't find out that I have been "Just A Lot Of Talk & No Action" as far as my playing capabilities go.
Oh well, I'll just have to bring some extra cash.

OldHasBeen said:
Mike - If I'm the Hustler, I need the table 24/7 for the entire tourney. If I'm the Hustleee, I'll only need it for about 20 minutes or so..

So NoStroke, the expert, still think that Tom wasn't looking forward to the AZBilliard room as a great place to hustle the nice pool folk of AZ. Believe me, if Tom was in good health the first year, things would have been different. His 'dream' wasn't winning one of the DCC tournaments. His dream was to have 10 days of cash games with the AZers & filling his pockets.

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Hey Jack,

Tom would turn over in his grave if he heard his name and excellence in the same sentence. He always acted like he couldn't play at all. Tom prefered to stay in the background at most tournaments and be a "sniper", picking off the lesser players in the backroom. He wouldn't mess with a guy who played your speed.

I never knew how well he played and I knew him for 30 years as Tom Martin. We played once in L.A. and he won the first game and I won the second. He quit and smiled at me and said "To much see saw".
Jay,
Thanks for the compliment and thanks for the background ---- "to much see saw" - haven't heard that in awhile. Sounds like a smart hustler. Tom Martin sounds familiar but I think its another Tom Martin I know.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Timberly said:
Were they selling the posters at Derby?? I would love to have one and I think it would be a nice gesture to have the poster up in the room each yr. :)

No, they weren't selling it. It was up in one of the booths.

And as far as Watchez' comments, I don't have much of a response that would make any difference. I think a lot of people may come to these types of meet and greets with one type of expectation, and come away with a whole different view.

Fred