Buying a Pool cue

BLADEPXE

Registered
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum and I am sure similar questions were asked countless number of times before, but I am at a loss over which cue/brand to buy. I was thinking of a McDermott M6-4B Professional Series Pool Cue. But have little idea whether this is a good cue or not. Also are does McDermott make good cues or should I look at other manufacturers like Viking? I have been playing pool for over 12 years now and have finally decided to get a cue of my own. I cant seem to find any info online comparing cue manufacturers. Can you please help, just by suggesting a good first cue or brand.

Thanks,
Alex A

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Both are very nice USA made cues. I personally favor a Viking, and play with my VM20 almost daily.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
I personally prefer the hit of a wooden-joint Viking as well (Didn't like the F02 stainless joint I had).

Of course, depending on your budget, there may be even better options available to you.. how much are you looking to spend?

Gregg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BLADEPXE said:
between $350 and $400

You can find a nice variety within that range.

Joss comes to mind as well.

I've always liked the idea of a Samsara Bar cue, but they sell for $475, but, you would be getting one heck of a cue for the $$$ IMO.

Good luck finding one.

1stLady

Diamond 8 Billiards, NY
I would suggest hitting with the cues first. :) There really is a significant difference between a wood joint and a steel joint feel. Find one you like the feel of and buy it.... and never sell it... it's your first... you can't sell your first!

Greg9Ball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
McDermott is an Excellent choice. Their cues are very well made and play excellent. I like the traditional look for the M6-4B. McDermott is an excellent Lifetime warranty that includes warpage and an outstanding lifetime maintanance program. Here are some links for more info:

Lifetime Warranty:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mcdermott/mcdermott_lifetime-warrantee.htm

Lifetime Maintanance:
http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/mcdermott/mcdermott_lifetime-maintanance.htm

Viking and Predator are also excellent choices and I highly recommend either brand.

If you would like to talk in detail about any cues, please feel free to call me. As an authorized dealer of all three and a pool player, I can go into as much detail as you'd like.

Enjoy.

Greg Savoie
BilliardWarehouse.com
888-809-7665

Jallan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
new not always best

I have been shooting with the same McDermott D-13 for 6 years. It will be hard to get me off of. I have more cues; some valuble, some not, but I just seem to always drift back to this cue.

Bastian

Sleepy
Silver Member
For $450 you can get a Samsara Barcue.. I'd highly recommend checking them out. IndyQ has some from before the price went up, so around $425. I cannot say enough good things about Samsara. Their shafts have what most describe as a 'stiff' hit, which for me is preferred.. I recommend a soft tip if you go this route (Moori medium is what I have found feels best on the Samsara shaft) but there are lots of options.

As others have suggested, you will definitely want to try some of your friends' cues out to see if you prefer a wooden or steel joint..

cigardave

Who's got a light?
Silver Member
BLADEPXE said:
between $350 and $400

For that price range I would be looking to buy a top name SP... like a Bob Frey... linkypoo for your convenience

I have one and am extremely happy with it.

My advice is.... for that price range, I'd put my money in the construction/hit/playability of the cue... and not so much in its appearance... and you should be happy in the long run if you do the same.

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am going to give you the most practical and sound advice ever. Honestly, this is the most truthful thing ever written about cue purchases only nobody wants to admit it -

Buy the best looking cue you can afford. Every brand mentioned is fine. When you develop a real preference, you won't have to ask anyone for advice.

mattman

Silver Member
If you are dead set on spending the full $400, I would consider maybe, less than fancy, custom cue and then buy either a predator 314 shaft or OB-1 shaft. You might like one of those shafts better. Either way, you will have a backup.

If you decide to go with a production cue, I don't think you can go wrong with a McDerrmott. A life-time warranty, even against warpage, is outstanding.

Just my .02
Mattman

despotic931

Mr. Felson's my dad...
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
I am going to give you the most practical and sound advice ever. Honestly, this is the most truthful thing ever written about cue purchases only nobody wants to admit it -

Buy the best looking cue you can afford. Every brand mentioned is fine. When you develop a real preference, you won't have to ask anyone for advice.
Tap Tap Tap!

9 on the snap

Budweiser fears me
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:

I agree 100%. It ain't the arrow it's the Indian.

ez2h8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buy a $50.00 players SP, gamble with the remainder of the money, double the amount over time and then you will have enough to buy a really nice cue and some change left over for breakfast in the morning. :p

j/k
ez

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ez2h8 said:
Buy a $50.00 players SP, gamble with the remainder of the money, double the amount over time and then you will have enough to buy a really nice cue and some change left over for breakfast in the morning. :p

j/k
ez

Just give your cue to me. Ship it to Amsterdam Billiards, NYC. You will thank me at least 1,000 times for the rest of your life.

ez2h8

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jude Rosenstock said:
Just give your cue to me. Ship it to Amsterdam Billiards, NYC. You will thank me at least 1,000 times for the rest of your life.

LOL
No thanks :)

ez