level table with a drift

SmokinJoe46

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically my thoughts exactly. Please let us know the final outcome when resolved. Best Joe

This is the same possibility Jack Shurtz brought up when I called him. I will dissemble, shim ever so slightly and install new felt and reassemble. He suggested some flex in the slate on that edge.

About the nicest I've ever seen.

I'm kind of fuzzy looking at that entertainment center, but might it be that the slate just wasn't machined as true as it could be? or maybe the frame is not supporting it properly? I do know that slate will flex some, even one inch thick. If you are getting roll off from the balls, but it is not consistent throughout, then I would think that would be a good indication that the slate is convex, or concave? If it's high in the middle then I think RKC has a cure for that. If memory serves me correct he was able to do that with a Gold Crown that he worked his magic on.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
One of the first things I asked Jack was he enjoying his retirement. He said he really was. I've known Jack since he was making Sneaky Peats in his garage, which btw the way is a long time indeed. Great guy.

And again, what kind of pool table are we talking about here, a Sears Best or what.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have reviewed your comments sir and at best you are condescending. I have no need of such help. Good day

I asked you politely once, as to what kind of pool table you have, to which you never responded, why not? Knowing what kind of pool table you have can explain a lot about problems known to certain models of tables, makes it easier to answer your questions.

But to ask questions and then deny all the answers because YOU know best, makes me wonder if at your age, you're not more interested in the attention this thread brings you as opposed to the answers.

I'm done wasting my time on someone who wants answers to YOUR questions, but refuses to answer MY questions in return!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I asked you politely once, as to what kind of pool table you have, to which you never responded, why not? Knowing what kind of pool table you have can explain a lot about problems known to certain models of tables, makes it easier to answer your questions.

But to ask questions and then deny all the answers because YOU know best, makes me wonder if at your age, you're not more interested in the attention this thread brings you as opposed to the answers.

I'm done wasting my time on someone who wants answers to YOUR questions, but refuses to answer MY questions in return!
Holy Cow, I'm agreeing with RKC!

Without acknowledging that your carpenter levels are inadequate for this task, and figuring out what to do about it, and disclosing the details of your table - as simple as make and model - you're not going to be able to get any help with this.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Holy Cow, I'm agreeing with RKC!

Without acknowledging that your carpenter levels are inadequate for this task, and figuring out what to do about it, and disclosing the details of your table - as simple as make and model - you're not going to be able to get any help with this.
Yeah, that guy got all butt-hurt over nothin'. He expect to have his hand held on here?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic, but the mechanics on this forum told me the correct level to buy for my own table. Below is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-...0002FUO8G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Before I bought this, I too had nice carpenter's levels, but had a lot of trouble getting my table level enough after I had the carpet under it changed for wood flooring. This level is 10 times as good, and I got the table playin well.

If you are doing all the work on your own table, and using the top of the line Simonis, then why chase your tail with a carpenter's level when its simply not good enough for the job?

When I bought the level 2 years ago from Amazon it was $180. It looks like it went up in price since then...

Good luck to you.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a mechanic, but the mechanics on this forum told me the correct level to buy for my own table. Below is the link.

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-98-...0002FUO8G/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Before I bought this, I too had nice carpenter's levels, but had a lot of trouble getting my table level enough after I had the carpet under it changed for wood flooring. This level is 10 times as good, and I got the table playin well.

If you are doing all the work on your own table, and using the top of the line Simonis, then why chase your tail with a carpenter's level when its simply not good enough for the job?

When I bought the level 2 years ago from Amazon it was $180. It looks like it went up in price since then...

Good luck to you.

That's a great reply. I would like to add that one can purchase a perfectly useful precision level that is not a Starrett, one of the Chinese ones, in the under $100 price range. Check eBay.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
Back when the TulsaBilliardPalace first started their monthly tournament Jack, Randy Anderson, Terry Young and couple others came down a lot. There was one guy named Ronny something that i believe passed away also. Wichita guys are ok in my book.

Thank you. The local pool community is filled with quality people. Its a decent place with decent folks.

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
Yeah, that guy got all butt-hurt over nothin'. He expect to have his hand held on here?

If by chance you are referring to me. I'm not Butt hurt. I treat everyone with dignity and respect. I don't treat anyone in a condescending manner and I have absolutely no use for anyone who treats me in such a manner. As for having my hand held. I have been playing this game for over 40 years. I have leveled numerous tables of various brands across this country with Carpenters levels and by simply rolling the ball until it was true and level. I simply asked for input , I had a good idea what may be at fault but wanted others perspectives. Some offered genuine suggestions and others were rude, pretentious and condescending. I have no need of such an interchange, its a waste of time. In the end I asked my friend and recently retired table mechanic and after a long and pleasant conversation he confirmed my suspicions. I am grateful for those who helped and wish everyone a good day.

Namaste,

Billy Bones

billy bones

billy bones
Silver Member
That's a great reply. I would like to add that one can purchase a perfectly useful precision level that is not a Starrett, one of the Chinese ones, in the under $100 price range. Check eBay.

I appreciate the input.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Shars “Master Precision Level” linked above is the other extreme and might be “too” sensitive. One deviation is .0005” per foot. The Starrett 98 Series I linked is .005” per foot. A carpenter’s level is I’m guessing about 1/64” or .015” per foot.

I was not able to find a knockoff of the Starrett 98 series when I looked 2 years ago.

Btw, the Share master precision is a knockoff of Starretts own Master Precision Level that costs about $1000 new.

I also have the Master Precision knockoff I had bought a decade ago from eBay to set up my machine shop tools. I tried it on the pool table and it was worst than the carpenters levels. It was jumping all over the place and I could not figure it out.

That’s when I came on here and asked the mechanics, and the unanimously said to get the Starret 98 series. The 12” long version of it was the most popular, but I believe some mechanics also had slightly shorter or longer ones.

Ps, realkingcobra was very helpful also in recommending this specific Starrett 98-12 series level:)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Shars “Master Precision Level” linked above is the other extreme and might be “too” sensitive. One deviation is .0005” per foot. The Starrett 98 Series I linked is .005” per foot. A carpenter’s level is I’m guessing about 1/64” or .015” per foot.

I was not able to find a knockoff of the Starrett 98 series when I looked 2 years ago.

Btw, the Share master precision is a knockoff of Starretts own Master Precision Level that costs about $1000 new.

I also have the Master Precision knockoff I had bought a decade ago from eBay to set up my machine shop tools. I tried it on the pool table and it was worst than the carpenters levels. It was jumping all over the place and I could not figure it out.

That’s when I came on here and asked the mechanics, and the unanimously said to get the Starret 98 series. The 12” long version of it was the most popular, but I believe some mechanics also had slightly shorter or longer ones.

Ps, realkingcobra was very helpful also in recommending this specific Starrett 98-12 series level:)
Good info. Thanks. I can see where EXTREME accuracy is not really needed. If you were making aircraft part maybe but not leveling a pool table.

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

First, I'm not a table mechanic; but, I am an engineer and metalworking hobbyist. My level is .0005/12", and I use it to set up machines, like my 12x36 toolroom lathe. I Don't think it's too sensitive for leveling a pool table, though I haven't tried. You could probably detect leaning on the table, though! And, on a wood frame construction second floor it might be frustrating.

BTW, according to my pretty-good, 24" carpenter's level, my quartz countertops are level; according to my precision level they are not even close!